What SP will the Yanks pick up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What SP will the Yanks pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What SP will the Yanks pick up?

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:46 pm

Alright guys, I've read all the reports, but I'm curious to hear some opinions. The Yankees are reportedly looking at Moyer, Benson, Ortiz, Glavine, and would love to get their hands on RJ if they could. While its hard to predict ahead of time, I find it difficult to believe the Yanks will try stake their 4th and 5th spots in the rotation on inconsistent starters like Contreras and even more so Lieber. I am convinced they will make a move, and obviously any pitcher of the above group will receive a huge upgrade in fantasy value if they are traded to the Yanks. So I'm looking for opinions.

To throw my two cents in, I think they Yanks do not have the prospects to nail Moyer (GM of Seattle called Moyer "untradeable"), Ortiz plays for an Atlanta team that is not out of the hunt, Glavine is the crosstown rival, and RJ is just a Steinbrenner wet dream.

So my vote goes to Benson. I just picked him up. Any other opinions????
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:50 pm

I'm still thinking RJ...money talks, and he wouldn't mind another ring I'm sure. I'm thinking immediately before the ASB this trade will go down.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:53 pm

slomo007 wrote:I'm still thinking RJ...money talks, and he wouldn't mind another ring I'm sure. I'm thinking immediately before the ASB this trade will go down.

I'm not so sure about that. The D-Backs are trying to rebuild more than likely for two or three years down the road and I'm not sure what the Yanks have to offer as far as prospects go, at least compared to other teams. Maybe I'm missing something. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:54 pm

Money talks, but Dioner Navarro and Robinson Cano (Yanks two top prospects) aren't exactly shouting, you know?
RJ hasn't shown an interest in going to NY right? I've heard ownership is in love with the guy, and will listen to any trade requests he may have.
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I'm still thinking RJ...money talks, and he wouldn't mind another ring I'm sure. I'm thinking immediately before the ASB this trade will go down.

I'm not so sure about that. The D-Backs are trying to rebuild more than likely for two or three years down the road and I'm not sure what the Yanks have to offer as far as prospects go, at least compared to other teams. Maybe I'm missing something. :-?

When you are trading for RJ, you can trade more than just prospects....Contreras perhaps if he continues pitching well?

Edit: Not even up of course...I'm just pointing out that they could include a couple starters who haven't really caught on in NY. Heck, Giambi wouldn't even surprise me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

When you are trading for RJ, you can trade more than just prospects....Contreras perhaps if he continues pitching well?

True, but the Yankees need more pitching and if they trade Contreras they are sort of in the same situation they are now, albeit with a much better SP in Johnson.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:01 pm

From the comments I heard from the Boss, it sounds like Johnson is his pick. However, the d-backs aren't interested

The Yankees also are holding out hope that Arizona's Randy Johnson becomes available if the Diamondbacks, who are the second-worst team in the National League, keep plummeting. Some Yankee officials believe that Johnson wants out, despite assertions by Arizona's owners that Johnson won't be traded. Others, like Steinbrenner, stay hopeful.

"Who wouldn't want Randy Johnson?" Steinbrenner said. "That's all I can say. But they swear they won't trade him. Jerry (Colangelo, an Arizona owner) is a good guy, he wouldn't lie to me. You can never tell if they fall out of it, though."

NY Daily news- 6/29/04
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby biju » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:05 pm

I really wish they would take Oliver Perez. This guy is a strikeout monster and could have a very prosperous career in NY with a little run support.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bibsybob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:06 pm

from what i heard, tony armas of the expos is on the block.
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:07 pm

Giambi has a no-trade clause. Just about everyone of value on the Yankees has a no-trade clause. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers