Strategy: all relief or traditional roster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: all relief or traditional roster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy: all relief or traditional roster?

Postby riverrat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Have 2 other posts going complaining about managers going all relief. I am being LAMBASTED by the all relief dark side.(Help me Luke!)
I say all relief'ers play that way because: 1) they dont know baseball that well and therefore, 2) cant handle a draft that makes you draft hitting and regular pitching. Basically a WELL ROUNDED TEAM.
I'm a traditionalist wanting to come as close to real baseball as possible in my fantasy leagues.
Which way do you prefer?
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:09 pm

As long as it's within the rules, any strategy is fine by me.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Strategy: all relief or traditional roster?

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:12 pm

riverrat wrote:Have 2 other posts going complaining about managers going all relief. I am being LAMBASTED by the all relief dark side.(Help me Luke!)
I say all relief'ers play that way because: 1) they dont know baseball that well and therefore, 2) cant handle a draft that makes you draft hitting and regular pitching. Basically a WELL ROUNDED TEAM.
I'm a traditionalist wanting to come as close to real baseball as possible in my fantasy leagues.
Which way do you prefer?

I'll respond similar to how I did in your OTHER post. MRs is a strategy... Simple as that. Sometimes it can work great for an owner other times it will come to bite them. (one MR gets shelled and destroys ERA/WHIP for the week cause they have no IPs)

Fantasy Baseball I have noticed is pretty balanced, there aren't many ways short of cheating to get an unfair advantage. If you pitch all MRs fine... your in trouble when someone gets shelled plus you lose Ks and W/S cats often. If you decide to pitch as many starters as possible you will often win Ks and Wins but lose ERA and WHIP. Traditional Rosters will get you a little bit of everything but not a lot in anything... Its just your choice how you want to play it.
RWLongy4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:16 pm

agree with the previous two
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Strategy: all relief or traditional roster?

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:27 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:Fantasy Baseball I have noticed is pretty balanced, there aren't many ways short of cheating to get an unfair advantage. If you pitch all MRs fine... your in trouble when someone gets shelled plus you lose Ks and W/S cats often. If you decide to pitch as many starters as possible you will often win Ks and Wins but lose ERA and WHIP. Traditional Rosters will get you a little bit of everything but not a lot in anything... Its just your choice how you want to play it.

In roto that is fine but with H2H a lil bit of everything may lose you every category, every wek in Pitching. Thats my predicament this year. I traded Mulder, Hudson and Vazquez for big offense, and now throw around 80 innings a week and I know i can win W/S/K and we score Ip for some reason....

A lil bit of everything most likely loses me those cats and WHIP ERA and other qualitative cats.

Thats always my theory, go one way or the other (depending on stat categories) and make your offense unstoppable. If most of my PS cats were qualitative I in H2H I would have kept Mulder and my studs, but there were more cats just based on cumulative #s.

There is always a way to manipulate a scoring system and if you dont do it someone else will.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:28 pm

As long as it's within the rules, any strategy is fine by me.

i concur.

if you dont like the MR Strategy make a custom league and set up some innings minimums and maximums and mess around with the rest of the settings to get it as you like. dont complain when someone else implements a strategy based on the rules of the league. fantasy baseball isnt real baseball. it is just manipulation of numbers. if it were like real baseball then mike matheny would be on someone's team.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby tracey518 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:35 pm

where do closers fit into this debate?
i assume when someone stacks with relievers, it's not ALL MRs, but good closers as well?
tracey518
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Quaker » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:42 pm

This is ridiculous. Quit posting threads whining about this. I've never used the all relief strategy, and I don't care when someone else uses it.

You say that someone may do it because they don't know baseball really well. Well, fantasy baseball isn't about knowing baseball really well, it's about knowing baseball numbers really well, and using them to your advantage.

Sounds like you want a league where everyone uses the same strategy as you. Sounds boring to me. Why don't you just have everyone draft the same team while you're at it?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Billy's Beane's » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:47 pm

I didn't go into my draft planning on going with the Reliever Strategy, however, everyone in my league seemed to be going starting pitcher heavy early in the draft, so i decided to take advantage of all the offense avail and deal with pitching later. Basically, instead of Punting Saves like a lot of people do, I decided to Punt wins and compete in all other pitching cats (k, saves, era, and whip). I've used spot starters to keep me in contention with k's (only looking at their k/inning ratio when deciding who to pick up), while I waited for Prior to get back. Basically, what I ended up with for a pitching staff is:

Prior
Burnett
Benitez
Mesa
Looper
Lidge
Herges
Shields

Basically, I keep trading spots between 1st and 2nd place with a guy with a traditional roster. I like the Reliever strategy if you can get a bunch of closers like I did, however, if you just go with middle relievers, you're basically punting 2 Categories in Wins and K's, and maybe even Saves. I guess my point is, unless you can get a bunch of closers, I'd go with a regular strategy in Pitching.
Billy's Beane's
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:32 pm

Billy's Beane's wrote:I didn't go into my draft planning on going with the Reliever Strategy, however, everyone in my league seemed to be going starting pitcher heavy early in the draft, so i decided to take advantage of all the offense avail and deal with pitching later. Basically, instead of Punting Saves like a lot of people do, I decided to Punt wins and compete in all other pitching cats (k, saves, era, and whip). I've used spot starters to keep me in contention with k's (only looking at their k/inning ratio when deciding who to pick up), while I waited for Prior to get back. Basically, what I ended up with for a pitching staff is:

Prior
Burnett
Benitez
Mesa
Looper
Lidge
Herges
Shields

This is my situation almost word for word. Here's the staff (7-team roto) I've wound up with and is doing pretty well for me:

Schilling
Halladay
Radke
Wolf
Burnett

K-Rod
Lidge
Dotel
F. Cordero
Foulke
LouisC9999
Major League Manager