The Sports Guy - Bill Simmons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Sports Guy - Bill Simmons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Sports Guy - Bill Simmons

Postby ironman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 pm

Is anyone else here an avid reader of his work? I started reading his stuff about two years ago and haven't missed anything since. His mix of sports, pop culture, and generally odd humor make for a good read. His running diaries are classic, whether its of the NBA draft, his fantasy draft with his buddies, or of Super Bowl media day its always a good time. His occassional ramblings column and Unintentional Comedy Scale are also hilarious.

Anyway, espn.com Page 2 has given him his own page now and since he's not writing for Jimmy Kimmel anymore he's been averaging about 2-3 columns a week now.

So if you understand what the Billy Zabka trilogy is (Karate Kid, Just One of the Guys, Back to School) as well as laugh anytime you hear Dikembe Mutombo speak, and just plain love all the absurdities that pro sports brings, then I highly recommend you take a look at the Sports Guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/
Last edited by ironman on Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:28 pm

The name of his fantasy baseball team was "Absolutely Adequate." I would wager to guess that the majority of people that come in here read his column. It's that good.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kingsac » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:38 pm

i think the man is a genius. I love his work and I think he is the best at the live internet chat feature ESPN runs from time to time. His remarks are funny, but display a ton of wit. I'm glad he is writing full time now!
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:57 am

Great stuff. One of my favorites is his column on how much he hates Roger Clemens.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:44 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Great stuff. One of my favorites is his column on how much he hates Roger Clemens.

Yeah his hatred of Roger Clemens, and Bill Laimbeer too is pretty funny.

I personally liked this comment he made during his Super Bowl Blog while in Houston this past January.

"People are psyched here. On Monday night, they threw a huge celebration at the Reliant Center, capped off by Nolan Ryan symbolically passing a football to Roger Clemens, who was standing a few feet away. Sadly, Ryan can't throw 100 mph anymore. Alas. Clemens caught the ball, searched it to make sure there wasn't any cash stuffed inside, told the football that he would never throw it to anyone else because he wanted to retire with the football, then threw it to his buddy Andy Pettitte. And everyone went crazy. Apparently it was a great moment -- I couldn't see it that well with the blood pouring out of my eyes."
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Return to General Talk