Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:24 am

I already did that! ;-D
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:20 am

Ill respond Trans.

Its simple. No one lied. People believe that Iraq and Al Qaeda worked together in 9/11 because the facts support the theory that they did have a working relationship. Can it be 100% prooven - nope - and Cheney was being careful not to let on that it was 100% certain. The point still remains however, that looking at the facts, a rational person would conclude that, yes, there indeed was a relationship between the 2. So, of course Cheney isnt suprised that people are connecting the dots.

Again - fellas - where's the lie?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:11 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Ill respond Trans.

Its simple. No one lied. People believe that Iraq and Al Qaeda worked together in 9/11 because the facts support the theory that they did have a working relationship. Can it be 100% prooven - nope - and Cheney was being careful not to let on that it was 100% certain. The point still remains however, that looking at the facts, a rational person would conclude that, yes, there indeed was a relationship between the 2. So, of course Cheney isnt suprised that people are connecting the dots.

Again - fellas - where's the lie?

The administration isn't lying in the same way that Michael Moore isn't lying. Is there a kernel of truth in what they're saying? Yes, there is some. Is it the capital-t truth, the whole truth, nothing but? No, I don't think anyone would suggest that. The Bush administration is just as guilty of putting out propaganda as Michael Moore.

What Trans is trying to get at - and correct me here if I'm wrong - is that a huge number of American's believe that Saddam had something to do with 9/11. The administration has been careful to nurture that view when it suited their march to war, though they later said that there was not a connection. Or, to put it into the words of the 9/11 commission, there was "no collabrative relationship."

There has been a definate.. lack of clarity from this administration. First, during the march to war, they told us that "'we don't know" if there is a connection between Iraq and 9/11. They assured us in the early days of the war that "We will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who've had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11." Do those quotes directly say that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11? No, obviously not. Is it implied? I think so, and since the vast majority of Americans believed that Iraq and 9/11 were connected then it seems like a fair assumption.

Of course, Bush later came out and admitted that "We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the 11 September attacks." What we were told earlier wasn't a lie in the way that 2+2=5 is a lie, but it's not the truth in the way that 2+2=4 is the truth, either.

But, speaking for myself, it's not his lying that bothers me. It's things like his No Child Left Behind bill, which gives the schools more work for less results. And which is unfunded. It's the fact that we ran into the Iraq war without listening to any of the anti-war voices around the world, from the Pope to Archbishop Desmond Tutu to Hans Blix to the vast majority of the worlds people. It's the fact that this White House seems to have a certain Orwellian arrogance about them. It's the explosion of pork spending under his administration. And, maybe most of all, it's his policy of Smile-And-Slash, where he praises libraries (he called them "community treasure chests") but then cuts their funding by $39 million dollars. Or how he said to the Boys and Girls Club "I believe so profoundly, I believe so strongly in mentoring. And I believe so strongly in helping children understand somebody loves them." A few weeks later, he cut 100% of their funding.

It's politics at its worst, where you go in for photo ops and garner the accolades weeks before you cut the money for a class-warfare tax cut. Contrary to what Wrveres will tell you, I'm not a Deaniac, I don't love Kerry, nor do I idolize Michael Moore. I do, however, hate what the current administration has done to our country.

(Sorry about the rant. Sometimes you just need to get a few things off your chest.)
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:35 am

you know AA ..The more I think about it

I like blue ducks too;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:29 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:While I'm at it, I'm tired of republicans claiming that Clinton did nothing to fight terrorism. Here's a list I got from http://www.mikehersh.com/Clinton_vs_Ter ... nton.shtml

I'll use a Trans and AA tactic to respond to this link.

You are quoting a Liberal source like that please...
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:52 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:It's politics at its worst, where you go in for photo ops and garner the accolades weeks before you cut the money for a class-warfare tax cut. Contrary to what Wrveres will tell you, I'm not a Deaniac, I don't love Kerry, nor do I idolize Michael Moore. I do, however, hate what the current administration has done to our country.

(Sorry about the rant. Sometimes you just need to get a few things off your chest.)

AA how about giving us an idea of who or what would be your ideal candidate :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:04 pm

I liked what I knew about Paul Wellstone, though I didn't know too much about him. I like Dennis Kucinich's honesty, though his nuttiness is unnerving. John McCain seems genuine and open minded, so he'll make the list as well. I liked Max Cleland before he was drummed out of politics by Saxby Chambliss. I like Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin.

Though, to be honest, I don't like most politicians. These were reaches. If I like a politician, he's almost certain to be a local guy. Small town mayors and the like.

I think that the national press and lobbyists have corrupted our national politics. It seems to me that we will never have any real change until we figure out a way to get lobbyist money out of politics. Until we do, they will continue to work for the lobbyists instead of us.

Thanks for asking.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:49 pm

I too live in Atlanta and know of those locals. What do you think of Zell Miller?

I don't like money influence in politics but if you eliminated peoples ability to contribute to large PAC groups then you would have billionaires with much more influence. I don't like people like George Soros or others being able to spend millions influencing others either.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:32 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I think that the national press and lobbyists have corrupted our national politics. It seems to me that we will never have any real change until we figure out a way to get lobbyist money out of politics. Until we do, they will continue to work for the lobbyists instead of us.

Thanks for asking.

I so agree .... Actually I wanted Mccain over Bush ... I think Mccain would have made an excellent president, especially in stressful times like we live in now....
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:37 pm

I would love a Bush/Mccain ticket. It would be unstoppable!
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to General Talk