Will Guardado be traded into setup role - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Guardado be traded into setup role

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Guardado be traded into setup role

Postby zonact » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 am

Are the mariners looking to deal guardado. if so, will it be in a setup role or closer role for another team.

Thoughts??
zonact
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 am

I don't see a team dealing for him if he's not gunna close. Just my 2 cents though.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:29 am

He was a great setup guy for years. I can actually see Houston or the Yankees going out for him to setup. Either Chicago team could be in the mix as well, but he would more than likely close for them. The As are still a possibility in my opinion as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FantasyNoob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:48 am

Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:50 am

John Bonzo wrote:He was a great setup guy for years. I can actually see Houston or the Yankees going out for him to setup. Either Chicago team could be in the mix as well, but he would more than likely close for them. The As are still a possibility in my opinion as well.

Yanks, really? Can't see that happening. Their bullpen is so stacked right now, and they're shopping for starters.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:12 pm

It doesn't appear Guardado is one of the players on the market for the M's. He's under contract for a couple years, he's not old, and they likely want to keep him around for the rebuilding (unless they get a deal that truly blows them away).

A side note: Rotoworld is reporting the M's are NOT going to deal Moyer, Edgar or Olerud, citing their involvement in the community and the need for a veteran presence the rest of the season. But they'll all be gone next year.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:52 pm

mkultra wrote:Yanks, really? Can't see that happening. Their bullpen is so stacked right now, and they're shopping for starters.

Actually, the Yankees bullpen isnt all that stacked, and they need a lefty in the bullpen. Gordan and Quantrill are overworked (especially Gordon, their injury-concerned setup man), and Heredia and White are pitching poorly.

However, I was under the impression that Guardado had signed only a two year deal. Since it was a longer deal, it is more unlikely that he will be dealt. However, I do keep hearing everywhere that Seattle "really needs" to dump payroll.

But you are right, the Yankees could use another starter as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:08 pm

FantasyNoob wrote:Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.

Lidge is struggling?
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

s

Postby JOEG » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:12 pm

Some rumer here in MN, that we migth try to reaquire him.... might of been more wishfulthinking then reality but I've heard it several times....

Plus he loved it here, no way he would unseat Nathen who in his 3 months of closing has been much easier on the stomach then Eddie was, sure Eddie barely blew it, but always liked to make it interesting with a few warning shot drives and a few bases loaded scearios

How much do we regret resigning Stew over Eddie now? ooops
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:01 pm

T-Bone Costanza wrote:
FantasyNoob wrote:Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.

Lidge is struggling?

I was about to say the same thing. Lidge is lights OUT.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers