Will Guardado be traded into setup role - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Guardado be traded into setup role

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Guardado be traded into setup role

Postby zonact » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 am

Are the mariners looking to deal guardado. if so, will it be in a setup role or closer role for another team.

Thoughts??
zonact
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 116
Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 am

I don't see a team dealing for him if he's not gunna close. Just my 2 cents though.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:29 am

He was a great setup guy for years. I can actually see Houston or the Yankees going out for him to setup. Either Chicago team could be in the mix as well, but he would more than likely close for them. The As are still a possibility in my opinion as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1285
Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston, TX

Postby FantasyNoob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:48 am

Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 73
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:50 am

John Bonzo wrote:He was a great setup guy for years. I can actually see Houston or the Yankees going out for him to setup. Either Chicago team could be in the mix as well, but he would more than likely close for them. The As are still a possibility in my opinion as well.


Yanks, really? Can't see that happening. Their bullpen is so stacked right now, and they're shopping for starters.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1339
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:12 pm

It doesn't appear Guardado is one of the players on the market for the M's. He's under contract for a couple years, he's not old, and they likely want to keep him around for the rebuilding (unless they get a deal that truly blows them away).

A side note: Rotoworld is reporting the M's are NOT going to deal Moyer, Edgar or Olerud, citing their involvement in the community and the need for a veteran presence the rest of the season. But they'll all be gone next year.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3240
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Offshore

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:52 pm

mkultra wrote:Yanks, really? Can't see that happening. Their bullpen is so stacked right now, and they're shopping for starters.


Actually, the Yankees bullpen isnt all that stacked, and they need a lefty in the bullpen. Gordan and Quantrill are overworked (especially Gordon, their injury-concerned setup man), and Heredia and White are pitching poorly.

However, I was under the impression that Guardado had signed only a two year deal. Since it was a longer deal, it is more unlikely that he will be dealt. However, I do keep hearing everywhere that Seattle "really needs" to dump payroll.

But you are right, the Yankees could use another starter as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1285
Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston, TX

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:08 pm

FantasyNoob wrote:Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.


Lidge is struggling?
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 398
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Queens, performing The Feats of Strength

s

Postby JOEG » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:12 pm

Some rumer here in MN, that we migth try to reaquire him.... might of been more wishfulthinking then reality but I've heard it several times....

Plus he loved it here, no way he would unseat Nathen who in his 3 months of closing has been much easier on the stomach then Eddie was, sure Eddie barely blew it, but always liked to make it interesting with a few warning shot drives and a few bases loaded scearios

How much do we regret resigning Stew over Eddie now? ooops
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 812
Joined: 2 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:01 pm

T-Bone Costanza wrote:
FantasyNoob wrote:Please please please don't let him be traded to setup. I'm in a points league rather than roto, so setup guys have very little value, except for the potential to replace a struggling closer (see: Brad Lidge). I'd rather he got traded as a closer to a better team that'll give him more save ops.


Lidge is struggling?



I was about to say the same thing. Lidge is lights OUT.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact