Chipper Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper Jones

Postby metsfan05 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:40 pm

Does anyone think he will make a comeback this season? I'm not sure if I should drop him but my team has been hurting.
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:53 am

Early in the season I traded Derek Lee for Chipper and have obviously regretted it. I rarely play him, he's taking up a spot on my bench. I've come to the conclusion that if someone worthwhile is available on waivers I'll grab them and drop Chipper. It's that bad. :-P

I watch a lot of the Braves games on TV and to me, he just seems to have lost his swing and confidence. Certainly not the Chipper we're used to. I think he's done. :,-(
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:02 am

There have been a lot of Chipper threads lately, so I've posted my thoughts numerous times, but I'll do it again...as nobody seems to know how to use the search feature.

You guys honestly think Chipper is done?! 8-o That seems like an awfully steep drop off to go from hitting .300+ for 7 years, and almost always hit 30+ HRs, to all of a sudden be "done" and lucky to hit .250.

Chipper will come around, mark my words. He started off fine, then he got injured (twice) and has never really gotten in the groove. Then he had to adjust to playing a new position, and this usually will lead to a downfall at the plate also. If you look at his most recent games, he is actually doing a little better, still not Chipper-like, but at least he's getting some RBIs.

Yes, I'm sure his hamstring is still bothering him...but you have to think that by the end of the season it won't be an issue anymore and he'll be hitting like the Chipper we've come to expect.

For anyone to think that Chipper is done and should be dropped in fantasy leagues (especially when he's 2 games away from 3B eligibility in Yahoo!) seems absolutely nuts to me. Chipper is a very valuable fantasy asset, and I promise that anyone who drops him (unless it's a 5 team league) will regret it.

If you haven't noticed, Andruw Jones, who is usually Chipper's protection in the lineup, is cold also and I'm sure some of Chipper's slump can be attributed to that as well.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rlee » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:32 am

I think the Braves lineup is also part of his problem. Last year, he not only had more production from Andruw Jones, but also had Lopez, Sheffield, and Giles. And injuries are part of the problem.

Giles will be back, but I don't think that will nearly compensate for Jones low production, Lopez, Sheffield.

Chipper's done a little better lately. Well, LITTLE is the key word. His average is all the way up to .213!

Slomo, you may well be right and Chipper may bounce back, but I just think he's a shadow of himself. He may well be hampered by that nagging hamstring all year. The Braves need him too much to give him rest.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:50 am

Once Giles gets back, that lineup will actually not be too bad. Furcal, Giles, Drew, Chipper, A. Jones, and Estrada is a pretty potent lineup. This is still among the best offensive teams Chipper has ever played for, so I don't think lineup protection will be an issue once everyone is healthy and hitting. It's just a matter of getting Marcus back, and having A. Jones hitting.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:55 am

I'm a big believer in Chipper, but I also know that hamstring injuries tend to linger. I think the hamstring is the only thing that can keep him down.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmoney » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:09 am

rlee wrote:Slomo, you may well be right and Chipper may bounce back, but I just think he's a shadow of himself. He may well be hampered by that nagging hamstring all year. The Braves need him too much to give him rest.

Chipper WILL bounce back, not a doubt in my mind. I have posted my thoughts on this many times, and they are very similar to slomo's. He is in an unfamiliar setting right now, and it will take time to adjust to it. He has never had a history of injuries, and he has always been on winning teams, so this season obviously is different from the others. This is not an issue of him being past his prime and that his skills have diminished, that is just silly. He does need some time away from baseball to clear his mind and regain his confidence, which he gets during the allstar break. And its not like his hammy was a tear or anything, that wont be an issue for much longer. Chipper is too good of a player to stay in this funk, and Bobby Cox is a great manager who will also be able to help out. This is becomming a common theme around here, with countless "What is wrong with ____" threads over the course of the season. Fill in the blanks with ARod, Lee, Jeter, Smoltz, Bagwell, Thome..... and so on. It seems that there are a lot of people who easily give up on superstars and dont really think about what they are saying. Chipper will be fine, there is a lot more evidence in his favor that suggests he will break out of his slump than against him. If you think otherwise, you obviously have not taken a look at his career stats.
Last edited by tmoney on Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:11 am

tmoney wrote:
rlee wrote:Slomo, you may well be right and Chipper may bounce back, but I just think he's a shadow of himself. He may well be hampered by that nagging hamstring all year. The Braves need him too much to give him rest.

Chipper WILL bounce back, not a doubt in my mind. I have posted my thoughts on this many times, and they are very similar to slomo's. He is in an unfamiliar setting right now, and it will take time to adjust to it. He has never had a history of injuries, and he has always been on winning teams, so this season obviously is different from the others. This is not an issue of him being past his prime and that his skills have diminished, that is just silly. He does need some time away from baseball to clear his mind and regain his confidence, which he gets during the allstar break. And its not like his hammy was a tear or anything, that wont be an issue for much longer. Chipper is too good of a player to stay in this funk, and Bobby Cox is a great manager who will also be able to help out. This is becomming a common theme around here, with countless "What is wrong with ____" threads. Fill in the blanks with ARod, Lee, Jeter, Smoltz, Bagwell..... and so on. It seems that there are a lot of people who easily give up on superstars and dont really think about what they are saying. Chipper will be fine, there is a lot more evidence in his favor that suggests he will break out of his slump than against him. If you think otherwise, you obviously have not taken a look at his career stats.

;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:13 am

I agree with slomo, as well. The 3B eligibility is very valuable...hold onto him.

Who here's been starting him and who's been benching him? I've started him all year and he's really denting my average. I've never thought of benching him (because he's Chipper) but am considering doing so for now until he gets his swing back (which he will). Should I start Floyd over Chipper?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:16 am

warrick95 wrote:I agree with slomo, as well. The 3B eligibility is very valuable...hold onto him.

Who here's been starting him and who's been benching him? I've started him all year and he's really denting my average. I've never thought of benching him (because he's Chipper) but am considering doing so for now until he gets his swing back (which he will). Should I start Floyd over Chipper?

I've been starting him because all of my OFers have struggled lately (Griffey, Burrell, Chipper, P. Wilson)...that is an ugly set of OFers for the past couple of weeks so I had literally no choice. However, if I had a decent backup (like you do in Floyd), then I would bench him until Chipper has some multi-hit games.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers