My league is a 14 Team
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:13 am

KolbSaves wrote:
d18Mike wrote:I've never done nor have I seen the math associated with using Middle Relievers. I usually keep one on the bench (Gordon) as a safety valve when I want to avoid a bad match-up but need to fill the roster.

Sure MRs may produce low WHIP but based on a rather limited # of innings, so the aggregate impact on the category is pretty low versus what you may lose in other departments.

Someday I'll sit down with a spread sheet on this one ... but intuitively I've never been sold on using MRs as a "winning" strategy. I use them to "avoid losing" in some cases. There's a differnce.

In a 10-team, I'd never use MRs. There are usually too many good spot starts available on the wire. In 12-teams, I'd use them as safety valves.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=39496

Yep, checkt he second post of that thread - relievers can have significant impact on your pitching stats.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:20 pm

If you're in a 14-team league, middle relievers can definitely help you out (particularly with no innings max).
Guys like Lidge and K-Rod, before their promotions to closer, were far superior to a lame fifth stater that blows up your ERA and WHIP and probably doesn't even get as many K's as those guys.
MR's that I'd be looking at now include Flash Gordon and, if he hasn't been grabbed for a potential return to closing, Riske. High K/inn rates, low ERA/WHIP (at least for the last month in Riske's case), and fairly regular work as primary setup guys. Good luck.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:22 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:If you're in a 14-team league, middle relievers can definitely help you out (particularly with no innings max).
Guys like Lidge and K-Rod, before their promotions to closer, were far superior to a lame fifth stater that blows up your ERA and WHIP and probably doesn't even get as many K's as those guys.
MR's that I'd be looking at now include Flash Gordon and, if he hasn't been grabbed for a potential return to closing, Riske. High K/inn rates, low ERA/WHIP (at least for the last month in Riske's case), and fairly regular work as primary setup guys. Good luck.

Agreed, I have Gordon and Riske and my ERA has fallen .1 point in about 2 weeks. Gordon even got a vulture save during Sunday's doubleheader. I had never had a solid setup man before in my roto league, but I am sold on them now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:39 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:MR's that I'd be looking at now include Flash Gordon and, if he hasn't been grabbed for a potential return to closing, Riske. High K/inn rates, low ERA/WHIP (at least for the last month in Riske's case), and fairly regular work as primary setup guys. Good luck.

BJ Ryan of Baltimore is another high K rate, low ERA WHIP guy who could possibly close if Julio continues to pitch terribly.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers