Joey Gathright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joey Gathright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:00 pm

mkultra wrote:Anyone know when Gathright will show up on Yahoo? Is there any rhyme or reason to when new players appear?

It's when some lazy Yahoo employee decides to get off his fat rump and add the player. By the time they add him, he'll be optioned back to the Minors probably :-t .
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:02 pm

benjapage wrote:
hybrid wrote:Compare Gathright to Rios? Man you must really have no idea about either to ask that question.

that's not cool, hombre. i have heard the rios is a vernon wells clone with power/speed/avg capabilities. i have heard that gathright is faster than crawford.

my interest in comparison is in the probability that either one of these guys will start to light it up this year, next year, or later. jackal, your take is pretty helpful. i have watched some of rios' recent at-bats, and he is actually starting to look pretty sweet.

gathright (to me, anyway) still looks overmatched...until he's on base. there are a lot of good, young outfielders out there, now. crazy times for positions 7, 8 and 9. 8-o

b

lol, don't take it seriously benjapage. i didn't mean it as an insult or anything like that. but still asking that when players have nothing in common seems to show not much knowledge about them.

here are some good comparisons:

Gathright is pretty much a Pierre player. He is small like him and is the fastest player in the majors now. But as you pointed out he still looks over matched at times, though he did have a real good game last night. His real value is only in SB's, but there is no sure thing that he will stay up in the majors. He is up right now so Rocco doesn't have to play. The Craw/Pod comparison to me isn't as good as the Pierre one, cause Gathright will never develope power. But those 2 have a good chance to develope more then they have showed, which Pod is doing this year.

I think a real good comparison to Rios that no one I have seen mention is Baldelli. Rocco is 6'4" 187 and Rios 6'5" 194. Both are fairly young and both of their bodies haven't developed fully yet. So right now, both don't have much power and are mainly line drive hitters. Rios after getting off to a slow start has starting hitting a lot better of late. I comparison I have heard that many scouts feel, is that when he fills out they could see Juan Gonzalez power. They say Juan was just as skinny earlier in his career, but then added muscle and became a big power hitter. That in mind is why I don't think Rios will help you much in any 1 cat. Once he gets better hitting wise and his power comes along, he could be really good. Also he is quite fast, but as most know the Jays don't really run to much.

Hope that helps some, and sorry about the other comment. Wasn't trying to be mean but it probably came out that way.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ilsa » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:47 pm

Another good night...2/4 and 1SB, and still not available in Yahoo leagues. This is ridiculous :-t
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:51 pm

He's available now, on waivers until the fourth.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:47 pm

rotoworld wrote:Devil Rays optioned outfielder Joey Gathright to Triple-A Durham.
Gathright hit .273 with two walks, six runs scored and three stolen bases in seven games. His departure means that Fred McGriff and Robert Fick will go back to sharing time at DH. If McGriff continues to struggle, the Rays could release him and bring Gathright back right after the All-Star break. Jul. 2 - 6:36 pm et

arggggh
Last edited by KolbSaves on Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:48 pm

i really don't like this move.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:50 pm

Bad move, I'd like to see this kid stay up longer. But he should be back up later in the year, along side Upton.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:04 pm

i am playing against the owner that picked him up....

this kid burned me for two steals already...

:-o

glad to see him go...

if only the owner will not find out that he has been demoted until after this period ends.....and keeps him in as a starter...

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm

Gathright was completely overmatched on anything with velocity inside. He isn't ready yet. He does sure look like he'll be a lot of fun to watch down the road, and his SB's could be amazing...but I'm not sold on his ability to hit big league pitching just yet.

But now that he has gotten a taste and knows what he needs to work on, he could be more ready next time.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:07 pm

hybrid wrote:Rios won't do that well in any cat. so for this year if Gathright stays up he is more valuable. Long term though (in keepers), Rios has a lot more potential IMO.

Rios won't have near as much value as Gathright this year.
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers