The View From Here IV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

The View From Here IV

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

The View From Here IV

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:34 pm

There's nothing like a blockbuster trade to get those fantasy juices flowing, and this season's first was a true bombshell. Carlos Beltran's days in Kansas City are over, but his destination caught many by surprise. Octavio Dotel heads to Oakland, Brad Lidge takes over closing duties in Houston ... but let's let Ryan Fay break down all the fantasy repercussions of this bombshell.

More great analysis by Ryan! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:54 am

Tough to see Lane lose playing time. It looked like the path was clear for him to show what he's got. Guess it will have to wait until next year.

Interesting that Wood might end up being called up this week. Might be someone to keep an eye on. :-?

I really hate to be a stickler, but "Likelyhood" isn't a word. It's likelihood. From Dictionary.com:

No entry found for likelyhood.
Did you mean likelihood?

like·li·hood ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lkl-hd)
n.
The state of being probable; probability.
Something probable.

Again, sorry for being a stickler, it just struck me funny when I saw it. ;-)

Also, the link above doesn't lead to the article. I got a page, but no story. It was listed to the right and it worked from there though. Here's a direct link for the View article
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:08 am

Ouch. Sorry about that... !+)

And you're right - it is hard to see Lane lose time...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:40 am

Too bad there wasn't some more analysis of the fantasy impact of the trade.

Last year at this time the Astros had Lidge, Dotel and Wagner pitching the last 3 innings. Now they only have Lidge.

I think that he will do well as the closer. He has the stuff and it seems like he has the make-up as well. I don't think that Houston will go out to get a vet closer unless Lidge implodes and I doubt that he will.

The real question is who will take over for Lidge as the best bet in the majors for holds? Miceli? I don't think so. This bullpen is seriously depleted and the 'Stros need to restock the shelves. Look for more moves - they will want to keep Pettitte, Oswalt, Clemens and Miller happy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:03 am

I agree that Houston will most likely need to make a move or two to strengthen the bullpen and get the ball to Lidge. Mota anyone?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:03 am

I don't know, Mota has seemed fairly untouchable. I think Houston will aim a bit lower than that...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:22 pm

:-? Hmm......I thought I read somewhere about Mota possibly being availiable for a bat. :-? I'll see if I can find the article. ;-)

Here's an off the wall thought. With Seattle packing it in, Guardado could close and Lidge would go back to set up......Probably won't come close to happening, but not exactly impossible either. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Article Discussions