Chone Figgins vs. Carl Crawford - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chone Figgins vs. Carl Crawford

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Precise » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:03 pm

wow, how did this become a figgins is overrated thread? he is not overrated whatsover. i just want to see what people feel the gap is between crawford and figgins, PRODUCTION-WISE for the rest of the season.

I feel it is a legitimate question since i have both on my roster and:

Crawford hits for average..... but so does figgins

Crawford steals bases..... but so does figgins

Crawford scores runs...... but so does figgins

keep in mind that figgins now has guillen, vlad, and anderson hitting behind him.......... and crawford has huff and baldelli.

also keep in mind that figgins has of/3b eligibility. figgins is a valuable fantasy player in every sense and probably the best waiver wire pick-up next to victor martinez. their obp and slugging percentage is also nearly identical.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:07 pm

Since you have Crawford and Figgins..I am going to ask it this way...how far ahead in steals are you.... :-?

that might make a difference in who to deal....if you are way ahead...then deal Crawford and get a higher player...but if you are closer...then deal Figgins...and keep the more steals... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:09 pm

I just grabbed Hairston off the wire and am looking forward to good things. Right now I am using Figgins in the OF, but now that I have a supply of steals from Hairston, Figgins is the next hitter to go on my team. He's decent, no more no less. I expect him to hit the wire in droves once his first real slump hits.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Precise » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:12 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Since you have Crawford and Figgins..I am going to ask it this way...how far ahead in steals are you.... :-?

that might make a difference in who to deal....if you are way ahead...then deal Crawford and get a higher player...but if you are closer...then deal Figgins...and keep the more steals... :-)

its a head to head to league and i have more than enough speed on my team ;-D
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmaniar » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:24 pm

Whoever said Figgins is overrated is a moron. As on OF, he is of average value, but as a 3B hitting over 300 and among the league leader in steals, thats incredibly valuable. Not to mention he is only 5 games away from qualifying at SS.
tmaniar Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:50 pm

as long as Figgins hits right in front of Sir Vlad, hes not gonna steal as much he otherwise could. kinda especially with Anderson's return and the linup shifting into power mode. i dont think that Figgins is "overated" just to clear things up. also the 3B eligibility isnt as as big of a deal as its being made out to be... you could very realistically and correctly imo argue that in terms in a 12 or so team sized league, 3B is just as strong as 1B. but i agree the steals from a 3B are intriguing.

and obviously Crawford is better. and i kinda also agree with dhc.. gotta see what your SB situation is. just post your linup and the SB standings and we'll prolly figure it out. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby godallahstar » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:08 pm

tmaniar wrote:Whoever said Figgins is overrated is a moron. As on OF, he is of average value, but as a 3B hitting over 300 and among the league leader in steals, thats incredibly valuable. Not to mention he is only 5 games away from qualifying at SS.

wrong.
as an OF, he has little value.
as a 3B, average.

apparently someone doesn't know how deep 3B is this year,
and that 40-50rbi, 300avg outfielders aren't very good plays.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:20 pm

godallahstar wrote:
tmaniar wrote:Whoever said Figgins is overrated is a moron. As on OF, he is of average value, but as a 3B hitting over 300 and among the league leader in steals, thats incredibly valuable. Not to mention he is only 5 games away from qualifying at SS.

wrong.
as an OF, he has little value.
as a 3B, average.

apparently someone doesn't know how deep 3B is this year,
and that 40-50rbi, 300avg outfielders aren't very good plays.

It's a bit disingenuous to forget to mention the 50 SB Figgins projects to have, as that's the primary source of his value. Throw in a .300 average and 90+ runs and that makes for a fine OF. In roto you really need to have one stolen base guy, and Figgins is a good choice. When you factor in that most people got him off the waiver wire, then Figgins becomes a real value play.

Crawford projects to have about 20-30 more stolen bases than Figgins. That's a big difference in most leagues. My guess is that 20-30 extra stolen bases in roto can make the difference between (for example) 7th and 2nd place in a 12 team league.

In roto, I would say it depends on where you stand in the SB standings whether or not you should trade him or Crawford. In Head-to-head leagues, it's a more difficult question. It can be really nice having two SB guys on your roster. If you really need the saves, I would see what you can get for Figgins. If you could get a F. Cordero, I would do it. Otherwise it might be better to try and trade for a top-tier closer for Crawford.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby davus » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:48 pm

If your league scores triples then Figgins is IMMENSELY valuable! ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:42 pm

I'd say that Crawford will keep up the numbers he's gotten so far. Where as Figgins' will probably taper off.

Why do I think this? Well first off, with Eckstein back, Figgins no longer leads off. He's in the #2 slot now. I don't really like this because the job of #2 often is to move the runner up to 2nd base. Often this is in the form of a ground out (hit and run) or a scarifice (bunt or fly out). #2 still steals but can't really when there is a man on base in front of him.

I own Figgins and realize he has a limited shelf life.

You are watching a Star being born with Crazy Legs Crawford.

I think the gap between the two will grow as the season progresses.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers