Back to fantasy baseball after 15 years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Back to fantasy baseball after 15 years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Back to fantasy baseball after 15 years

Postby Nero » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:34 pm

Hey Folks...

As stated in my post I have gotten involved in my first fantasy baseball league since I last played 15 years ago. I bought into a an existing league (link at the bottom of this post .. it's team #4). I basically stopped following baseball after the strike in 94 and so I am only now getting back into the swing of it.

Obviously I can tell this team is pretty damn good especially stacked in the OF.

What would you guys say I should do to improve? Who is overrated? Who should I trade for? What would be the best way to upgrade at SS without busting the bank? I went after Tejada last night and was sorry to even have asked as I was told I'd need to give up Bonds, Schilling and Guzman.

1 Todd Helton, Maurice Vaughn
2 Bret Boone, Ron Belliard
S Christian Guzman Omar Infante
3 Scott Rolen, Joe Crede, Jared Sandberg
C Paul Loduca,Damian Miller

DH Brian Jordan, Chris Stynes
OF Vladimir Guerrero Barry Bonds Magglio Ordonez
PF Lance Berkman Chris Morris

P Rodrigo Lopez Curt Schilling Pedro Martinez Tom Glavine
P A.J. Burnett Livan Hernandez Kurt Ainsworth Eric Milton
P Kirk Saarloos

R John Smoltz Mike Stanton Eddie Guardado Jeff Nelson
R Tim Worrell

Full league info:
http://www.basfranchises.com/bb/league. ... &league=18
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:06 pm

First of all, the guy demanding you give up Bonds, Schilling and Guzman for Tejada was smoking it. I wouldn't trade Schilling for Tejada in a straight trade. I could see trading Bonds and Guzman for Tejada and a weaker outfielder or something.

At catching, you are solid. Lo Duca is a top 5 catcher, and Miller is an adequate backup. Helton is also a top-notch, stud first baseman and Vaughan is also a solid power hitter and could be good trade bait. Boone at second is a solid top 10 second baseman, no worries there. Rolen is probably the best third baseman in MLB, excluding Pujols (who doesn't really play at 3B). Guzman at short does look like the weak link in your infield.

You have an absolutely awesome outfield, with Vladimir, Bonds, Ordonez and Berkman. Those are all top 10 outfielders. I would try to trade one of these four for a SS upgrade. Obviously the Tejada owner is out to lunch, but try to go after Garciaparra instead. Garciaparra for Bonds would strengthen your team greatly.

You have two great pitchers in Schilling and Pedro. Glavine could go either way this year, I don't have alot of faith in him. The rest of your starters are pretty questionable, and some of them are waiver material. I would try to trade Lopez away for someone of similar stature but on a stronger team like Weaver, for example. You might also be able to pick up Lilly on waivers, who is a steal.

Your bullpen looks great, with at least 2 guys guaranteed 30 saves each.

How many people are in your league? And how the heck did you get Pedro, Schilling, Bonds, Vladimir, Ordonez, Rolen, Berkman and Helton?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:24 am

Hey .. thanks for getting back to me.

It's like I told you...I bought into an existing legacy league so someone else built this monster and decided not to renew this year. I just fell into the right place at the right time...

you can see all the league info you need here:
http://www.basfranchises.com/bb/league. ... &league=18

It just so happens that am I a BoSox fan so Nomar is definitely the guy I want to get. I am mostly concerned with getting rid of players while they are at peak value...especially older guys as they could stop performing at any time as little injuries creep up...

I want to dump Bonds and Schilling especially and get some great young talent....ideally that short stop you mentioned and one of the A's big 3.

Whatcha thing?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:21 am

Well, Bonds should be at close to peak value right now but if you wait until he goes on a hot streak, people might be more willing to pay more for him, as he has had a fairly cold year so far. I would wait a bit on trying to trade Schilling, since he has had two horrible starts and his value is probably lower than it should be right now. I would say you should be able to get Garciaparra and maybe a prospect like Crawford, or Baldelli in return for Bonds.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zoozam » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:46 pm

my initial thoughts looking at your team is - you're loaded! screw whoever told you that tejada was worth bonds, schilling and someone else. i would say you'd need to package someone w/tejada to get either barry or curt!!!

you're pitching and outfield are amazing! hold on to both. look to add mark ellis at 2b, and play roto shortstop until a better answer comes up. w/out knowing your league, it's tough to say, but you should be in the driver's seat w/any trade you offer.

your team kicks ass.
zoozam
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team