Will the Mets make anymore deals? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Mets make anymore deals?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:20 pm

[quote="WeaponsMasProduction"]i think its far more likely that the mets trade away some vets (leiter, trachsel, floyd), than they start bringing people in. they dont really have a shot at the playoffs, far too many holes.[/quote]

:-t i completely disagree, with the way the nl east is playing, and the buzz in new york and in the mets club house. if they were to start dumping players while in the middle of a division race i honestly think every single mets fan would be furious with the mets and management. now im not sayin trade our prospects (wright kazmir, etc) but in no way i agree with dumping players. they will be good nextyr and for years to come with the prospects they have comin up... but lets face it, the mets havent been good since 2000 and they have a chance, theres alot of fight right now in that clubhouse and alot of pride and hope in every met fan... you cant just take that away
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:24 pm

I agree. At this point now there is absolutely no way the Mets become sellers. Whether or not they are real contenders is a moot point. It would be public-relations suicide.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:39 pm

The NY Times reported that the Mets are interested in Randy Johnson. Interesting because if the DiamondBacks do trade him and RJ would come to NY (both doubtful) the Mets would get him easily over the Yankees due to the depth of talent they posess in the minors.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:33 pm

i think it would be really foolish to give up kazmir or david wright for anyone including the unit. they have an up and coming team, i think if they trade away some vets they can build a team that will be good for years to come. if i were the mets i would trade away the vets, just my .02
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:37 pm

No I agree with you. I wouldn't trade Kazmir or Wright either.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:45 am

Hampton ....

The Mets could trade for Hampton ....

It just came to me .. ;-7

It would be a win - win ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:52 am

Nah, Hampton likes the school system in Atlanta better. :-B
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:31 am

wrveres wrote:Hampton ....

The Mets could trade for Hampton ....

It just came to me .. ;-7

It would be a win - win ...

That's OK. Hampton wasn't man enough to handle NY. Sounds like he'd be perfect for San Diego. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bjm97 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:19 am

While I dont' see the Mets being able to land the unit- which is fine with me since it would cost us Kazmir to get him. Wigginton's bags are basically packed awaiting his departure to another team. What do people feel he is worth- a Paul Wilson or Lidle type guy? How about the finances of those three players (Wilson, Lidle, Wigginton)- would the Mets have to take on yet more salary? Also, when are we finally going to be able to dump Vaughn from the payroll? It still amazes me that he is (or was last year or 02') the highest paid 1st baseman in the game. I can't see us dumping anyone at this point for the reasons above (PR suicide). Also, does anyone know the contract status of Hidalgo (how much he makes per season + how many years left on his contract)? GO METS!
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:16 am

I don't think the Mets will land RJ either. Just throwing the new stupidest rumor out there.

I think that it's a seller's market and the Mets probably need to walk away if they can only get Wilson or Lidle for Wigginton. Watch us trade Wiggy and he becomes our next Jeff Kent.

The huge insurance contract that was taken out on Fat Mo was picked up. So most of his salaray is not being paid by the Mets.

Hidalgo is slated to make approximately $15M next year in his option year. He has a $2M buy-out of that option which the Mets will surely exercise. The Mets can then renegotiate a contract with him in the off season.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers