Will the Mets make anymore deals? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Mets make anymore deals?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the Mets make anymore deals?

Postby bjm97 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:25 pm

Getting Hidalgo was definately needed considering what they gave up. As a dire hard Mets fan- are they any more deals we should be looking for?
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:34 pm

I know that if they fall out of the race then Glavine or Leiter could be on their way to the Bronx.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:36 pm

I doubt they'll fall out of the race anytime soon. If the Braves are still in, so are the Mets. If one of them goes to the Bronx it'll probably be Glavine. He's been better this year, and that's what Steinbrenner goes for....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:48 pm

If the Mets fall out of the race I think Leiter is a distinct possibility to go the Yankees. I felt this way at the beginning of the year and even mentioned it in my Mets Cafe article. Leiter is a 10-and-5 player who doesn't want to leave New Jersey, is in the last year of his contract and may retire this year. He may allow a trade to the Yankees to go through in which case the Mets would at least get something in return for him and he gets a last hoorah.

Despite the fact that the NY papers have been all over the "Glavine to Yankees" story this doesn't make any sense. I am not saying that the Mets wouldn't trade Glavine because I think it is a possibility. Glavine doesn't have any of the veto power Leiter does and the Mets could get a lot more value out of Glavine (than Leiter) by trading with a team other than the Yankees. This story is just wishful NY media hype.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Can't see the Mets doing anything significant, as they will simply not part with David Wright, and that's the prospect that would be necessary to swing something huge.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bjm97 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:If the Mets fall out of the race I think Leiter is a distinct possibility to go the Yankees. I felt this way at the beginning of the year and even mentioned it in my Mets Cafe article. Leiter is a 10-and-5 player who doesn't want to leave New Jersey, is in the last year of his contract and may retire this year. He may allow a trade to the Yankees to go through in which case the Mets would at least get something in return for him and he gets a last hoorah.

Despite the fact that the NY papers have been all over the "Glavine to Yankees" story this doesn't make any sense. I am not saying that the Mets wouldn't trade Glavine because I think it is a possibility. Glavine doesn't have any of the veto power Leiter does and the Mets could get a lot more value out of Glavine (than Leiter) by trading with a team other than the Yankees. This story is just wishful NY media hype.

Is this Mets Cafe article a newsletter you write, and if so i would like to receive it. I would be satisfied to see Reyes/Kaz play most of the remainder of the season together and take my chances. It seems with dumping of last season that there should be some solid prospects to move for another bat??? What will happen to Wigginton when Wright joins the team? Odd to think about the infield from recent past- mo, ordonez, ect.. and where we are a year or two later...
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:12 pm

If the Mets are still in contention to win the NL East by the All-Star break, I can see them making a move for a SP. Ginter and Seo won't get it done. I can see them dealing for someone like Benson. I doubt they'll make a deal for someone like the Unit. (I personally think if he goes anywhere it will be to Anahiem). Though last night on WFAN they were discussing a Unit to Mets trade. Randy, Glavine and Leiter would be a nice 1-2-3. Fred Coupon won't do it, the cheap b@stard.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:41 pm

It's not a newsletter just a Point of View article here concerning the Mets from a fantasy perspective. There is also my blog (shameless plug) where I get to vent about the Mets. :-)

Reyes and Wright aren't going anywhere. I am pretty confident of that due to all the trade proposals the Mets have turned down regarding those two. If Steve Phillips was still Captain we'd be screwed right about now. ;-)

In a perfect world I would like to see Kaz traded to another team (Seattle perhaps) instead of moving Wiggy. It won't happen but an infield of Wright-3B, Reyes-SS, Wigginton-2B, Piazza-1B would be pretty good.

Wigginton unfortunately (not a FB impact but I love the guy) will be traded to make room for Wright IMO.

We have plenty of solid prospects but I don't think sacrificing them for this year is a good idea. We are in the position now to have a strong club for years to come and I'd hate to see that ruined for a half-assed run at glory.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:00 pm

Amazinz wrote: There is also my blog (shameless plug) where I get to vent about the Mets. :-)

One more plug...I have read (almost) every article you have posted...keep up the great work... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TreeRucker » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:41 pm

come on, amazing....let ur hart go., wiggington sucks., and they should bring up kazmir to start soon., and if this kid is so good., why doesn't he get a chance to start at the major league level....there are two things in baseball that are changing.,

1..kids come up faster in the organizations,,and they must!

and 2. once ur up here, if u play well u stay , no matter how young!

the mets babied reyes and look were it got him., the dl forever....only young pitchers throwing high amt's of innings in a year should be watched., else let these guys play already
"you couldn't get the crowd to throw their hands up if you swallowed all their fingers"
TreeRucker
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers