Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:44 pm

And its clear you love Jeter because you are a Yankees fan. Your point?
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:49 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:And its clear you love Jeter because you are a Yankees fan. Your point?


We aren't rating Jeter as the best player in baseball just because we like him. Yet others obvisouly underrate him because they dislike him. That's the point.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:50 pm

No I underrate him because he puts up decent numbers and plays bad defense. Lots of uninformed people put him at the caliber of Arod, Nomar, and Tejada and he isn't close to those guys. Im not even sure hes better than Micheal Young. Micheal Young is pretty diehard.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Micheal Young is pretty diehard.


wtf is that supposed to mean?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:31 pm

blankman wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Micheal Young is pretty diehard.


wtf is that supposed to mean?


lol i was about to ask the same thing blank
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:31 pm

im a Red Sox fan by religion. thats all i gotta say about Jeter. :-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:47 pm

This thread drips with homerism. :-t
Put down any love, or hate for the NYY. Look at it neutral. I don't know if anyone expected DJ to hit 220 all year. Jeter is a good player, who's had a nice career. This notion that DJ carried those NYY to those rings is more fairy tale then fact. 25 guys work together for a ring. DJ just happens to be there every year, so it's assumed he carried them? 96 for example, DJ hit 250, and slugged 250 in WS. You think he was the key there? In 99 DJ had a mvp type year, and was great in postseason. But in 01, he hit 148 in ALCS, and 118 in WS in which NY lost?

Imo, DJ is not overrated in fantasy, since it's his sb that pump his value up. However, in real life, he's overrated. It's the NY and ring thing that overrates him. And 95% of Yank fans have trouble seeing past the legend that has been created.

I don't like DJ as a ss anymore, although i will say he's having a good year using his range factor, zone factor, and fielding shares. I'm gueesing it they might level out over 2nd half, since it's way off his last 5 years numbers.

Comparing ss in MLB right now, Jeter ranks

8th in OPS
5th in Runs Created
11th in RC/27
6th in Win Shares

DJ has had a good career, and is still a good MI. But it's not Jeter bashing by saying he's overrated. He's the current Nolan Ryan. Flashy, well liked, exciting to watch, but not as good as is perceived.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:55 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Flashy, well liked, exciting to watch, but not as good as is perceived.


You will probably disagree, but I will say that it entirely depends on who you ask. If you ask the opinions of most of the people here, it is clear that the majority underrate him. On the other side, a lot of people who don't follow the game closely will overrate him.

IMO it is wrong to make a blanket statement that Jeter is either overrated or underrated. You must specify the people whose opinion it is (cafe members/casual fan for example) in order to say he is either of the two.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:41 pm

BLANKMAN Imo, Jeter is overrated mostly by NYY fans, but i see it everywhere by national media. Jeter is overrated because he has been on NATIONAL TV every year of his career since 96. And NY won 4 rings in that span. He's well liked, i guess considered good looking, great with fans, and media. Why would any NYY fan crack on him? He's was a top ss, no doubt. But he's not a top 50 player, and isn't Arod or Nomar. But many think he is. That's why he's overrated. I see almost every NYY fan say DJ is great, Arod sucks, he has no rings. I think most in Cafe realize if DJ had not been drafted by NY, his TV appearances, and rings, would be much smaller. BLANKMAN correct me if i'm mistaken, but i could swear i read a thread of yours a few weeks back saying DJ was overrated?

Imo, him and Ichiro are bb 2 most overrated players, and i'm a Seattle fan.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:48 pm

HOOTIE wrote:BLANKMAN Imo, Jeter is overrated mostly by NYY fans, but i see it everywhere by national media. Jeter is overrated because he has been on NATIONAL TV every year of his career since 96. And NY won 4 rings in that span. He's well liked, i guess considered good looking, great with fans, and media. Why would any NYY fan crack on him? He's was a top ss, no doubt. But he's not a top 50 player, and isn't Arod or Nomar. But many think he is. That's why he's overrated. I see almost every NYY fan say DJ is great, Arod sucks, he has no rings. I think most in Cafe realize if DJ had not been drafted by NY, his TV appearances, and rings, would be much smaller. BLANKMAN correct me if i'm mistaken, but i could swear i read a thread of yours a few weeks back saying DJ was overrated?


If I did say that, I was referring to him overrated by the casual fan.

I don't see why no one besides ajgnydc722 seems to understand what I am saying. YES, Derek Jeter IS overrated. But Derek Jeter is ALSO underrated. Please understand what I am saying: different people over/under rate Jeter. Casual fans overrate him. Most people at the cafe underrate him, judging from all the Jeter bashing that goes on (not just this thread, I'm talking about the people that say he sucks due to his defense, but ignore the other facets of his game).

I'll try to put this simply
Overrated
-by casual fans
Underrated
-by cafe members in general who bash him so much that they actually underrate him
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz and 17 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact