Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JamesBond007 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:35 pm

LBJackal wrote:You really want me to say it again?

Put any SS with a .310 BA in Jeter's spot and they would have done just as well.

Put any jackass behind a keyboard.....

If Jeter WASN"T a Yankee, people would have no problem with him. Yankee-haters are all the same.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Scott Brosius won a WS MVP too.............Pat Borders won the World Series MVP in 1992. With 5 games as the sample size I hardly consider it a measure of success. In the '98 WS his BA was .200, and it was .148 in 2001. I'm not using that as an example that he isn't that good for the same reason you should use 2000 as an example that he's great.

But I'm done talking about this. A guy with Jeter in his signature obviously won't budge........and there's no point for me to explain anything to you anymore.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:43 pm

JamesBond007 wrote:If Jeter WASN"T a Yankee, people would have no problem with him.

That's because nobody would be talking about him if not for the Yankees, LOL. Put a mediocre SS on a great team and he's a stud. Put him on the Reds and his name is Barry Larkin, only Larkin was and is much much better defensively.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:38 pm

I was just listening to a local radio program on WFAN, called Mike and the Maddog, some of you may have heard of it.

Basically what they were saying is that Jeter is lucky that he's in the right place. He HAS to play for the Yankees. If he played in Milwakee he'd just be a guy with some nice stats. But in New York he gets the chance to show off his intangible qualities. He's a tremendous big game player and that is why he is lucky that he's in the right place at the right time.

I'd like to re-emphasize that this is a pretty close to exact summary of what these two respected radio analysts just said about an hour ago. I find it to be very true. Jeter wouldn't be talked about if he was on a bad team, but that doesn't mean he's overrated. If he didn't play for the Yankees then know one would know about his incredible ability to play in the big game.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:42 pm

i'm a yankee fan

jeter as a fantasy player is overrated.

jeter as a real baseball player is slightly above average on the field and, probably, way above average off the field, in the clubhouse etc.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:07 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:

Put any SS with a .310 BA in Jeter's spot and they would have done just as well.

The team would have done just as well? Well then how come we can get rid of Tino Martinez and replace him with former MVP and all-star Jason Giambi, replace Mariano Duncan!! with Alfonso Soriano a young stud, and marquee player, replace Tim Raines with Hideki Matsui, the greatest player in all of Japan, and not to mention upgrade our pitching staff TREMENDOUSLY....AND STILL NOT WIN??

Please explain to me that with all the great players the Yankees have added, they haven't won a championship yet. I'd love to see them replace Jeter in 1996 and win the world series. It would never have happened. Don't kid yourself, Jeter rode the coattails of NO ONE.

If Jeter lead the team in 1996, and he's just so good at doing it, how come he can't lead this team too? :-?

ajgnydc722, you are vastly underrating that 1996 offense. Calling it "mediocre" is a far cry from what it actually was. They were 3rd in the AL in OBP. Mariano Duncan hit .340 that year, higher than Soriano ever has, or, for that matter, anyone on the Yankees in 2003. Paul O'Neill had a .411 OBP. Pettitte was a 20-game winner that year. The team had the 5th best ERA in the AL. They were in the top 5 of the league in:

BA (2)
OBP (3)
ERA (5)
Wins (2)
Saves (1)
Shutouts (1)
Hits Allowed (1)
HR Allowed (1)
Runs Allowed (3)
Strikeouts (2)

The names may be better, but the production is about the same. Don't fool yourself.

Jeter is still overrated.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:43 pm

I want to sort of stay out of this argument but I do need to ask:

LB you suggest any .310 would fill Jeter's role the same. But my question to you is this: How many career .310 hitting shortsops today are there out there? I'm not hating just want to get a sense of who you consider mediocre, and who you consider to be hitting .300. Nomar isn't mediocre of course so his career .322 BA doesn't count.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:46 pm

Jeter hater-----------Present ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:55 pm

DK wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:

The team would have done just as well? Well then how come we can get rid of Tino Martinez and replace him with former MVP and all-star Jason Giambi, replace Mariano Duncan!! with Alfonso Soriano a young stud, and marquee player, replace Tim Raines with Hideki Matsui, the greatest player in all of Japan, and not to mention upgrade our pitching staff TREMENDOUSLY....AND STILL NOT WIN??

Please explain to me that with all the great players the Yankees have added, they haven't won a championship yet. I'd love to see them replace Jeter in 1996 and win the world series. It would never have happened. Don't kid yourself, Jeter rode the coattails of NO ONE.

If Jeter lead the team in 1996, and he's just so good at doing it, how come he can't lead this team too? :-?

ajgnydc722, you are vastly underrating that 1996 offense. Calling it "mediocre" is a far cry from what it actually was. They were 3rd in the AL in OBP. Mariano Duncan hit .340 that year, higher than Soriano ever has, or, for that matter, anyone on the Yankees in 2003. Paul O'Neill had a .411 OBP. Pettitte was a 20-game winner that year. The team had the 5th best ERA in the AL. They were in the top 5 of the league in:

BA (2)
OBP (3)
ERA (5)
Wins (2)
Saves (1)
Shutouts (1)
Hits Allowed (1)
HR Allowed (1)
Runs Allowed (3)
Strikeouts (2)

The names may be better, but the production is about the same. Don't fool yourself.

Jeter is still overrated.

Thank god he said it! That Yankees team had great pitching and great hitting. Its not like Jeter carried that team. And LBJackal killed your motivation argument since Jeter isn't a good enough leader to make these superstars win a WS.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:42 pm

Jackal killed no arguement. Its clear that he hates Jeter because he's a Yankee and values him accordingly.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers