Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:26 pm

I would agree that a different shortstop could take Jeter's place on the team since 2002. Since the Yankees have been signing all-stars recently, then Jeter's performance may not matter as much. Maybe that's why they have yet to win a World Series?

But please, don't even try to convince me that another shortstop would've had the type of impact and leadership that Jeter had supplied the Yankees over the championship years. Jeter's teammates and former teammates say the same things about him.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:28 pm

I don't know why he's the captain, and I don't know when he was named captain. It could be because he's been there the longest...........
it coudl be because he plays the most important position and doesn't make a lot of errors.

Anyway, yes he was good, but if you don't think another SS with a similar BA (around 310) could have been at lreast as successful as Jeter in the same situation, then you aren't one to be talking about ignorance.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:33 pm

LBJackal wrote:I don't know why he's the captain, and I don't know when he was named captain. It could be because he's been there the longest...........
it coudl be because he plays the most important position and doesn't make a lot of errors.

Jeter has been the Yankee shortstop since 1996. Why not name somebody like Bernie Williams the captain, he's been there since 1991? Why name a captain at all?? No offense, but I see that as a fairly weak argument.

Anyway, yes he was good, but if you don't think another SS with a similar BA (around 310) could have been at lreast as successful as Jeter in the same situation, then you aren't one to be talking about ignorance.

I'm not talking about numbers here. Yes, a .300 hitter could have put up the same stats as Jeter maybe. I'm rather talking about leadership and being the heart of the team. That's where I feel Jeter gets ripped and bashed. People think that Edgar Renteria could have been on those late 90's teams and won championships with them. I'd like to see it. Derek Jeter is severely underrated as a team player and leader.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Leadsership and heart.........seems like BS people mention since he's not as good at baseball as actual marquee players. If your only argument is "he makes other people around him better" then I don't think there's much of an argument.....and I don't think anybody will buy it.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:44 pm

LBJackal wrote:Leadsership and heart.........seems like BS people mention since he's not as good at baseball as actual marquee players. If your only argument is "he makes other people around him better" then I don't think there's much of an argument.....and I don't think anybody will buy it.

So just because Jeter isn't a marquee player means anyone could have stepped in?

Do me a favor, look at the 1996 Yankee lineup:

C- Joe Girardi
1B- Tino Martinez
2B- Mariano Duncan
3B- Wade Boggs
SS- Derek Jeter
LF- Tim Raines
CF- Bernie Williams
RF- Paul O'Neill
DH- Cecil Fielder

SP- Andy Pettitte
SP- David Cone
SP- Jimmy Key
SP- Kenny Rogers
SP- I don't even remember

Now look at the 2003 Yankee lineup...

C- Jorge Posada
1B- Jason Giambi
2B- Alfonso Soriano
3B- Aaron Boone
SS- Derek Jeter
LF- Hideki Matsui
CF- Bernie Williams
RF- Karim Garcia/Delluci

SP- Roger Clemens
SP- Mike Mussina
SP- Andy Pettitte
SP- David Wells
SP- Jose Contreras

Now, please tell me again that marquee players can fill in for mediocre players like Jeter and STILL win world championships.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:47 pm

You really want me to say it again?

Put any SS with a .310 BA in Jeter's spot and they would have done just as well.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:You really want me to say it again?

Put any SS with a .310 BA in Jeter's spot and they would have done just as well.

The team would have done just as well? Well then how come we can get rid of Tino Martinez and replace him with former MVP and all-star Jason Giambi, replace Mariano Duncan!! with Alfonso Soriano a young stud, and marquee player, replace Tim Raines with Hideki Matsui, the greatest player in all of Japan, and not to mention upgrade our pitching staff TREMENDOUSLY....AND STILL NOT WIN??

Please explain to me that with all the great players the Yankees have added, they haven't won a championship yet. I'd love to see them replace Jeter in 1996 and win the world series. It would never have happened. Don't kid yourself, Jeter rode the coattails of NO ONE.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:59 pm

You seem pretty set in your ways...........nobody is going to convince you at all so we'll just leave it at this:

Jeter is one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball, doesn't have a lot of power, and apparently is such a great motivator that he makes an entire team of underachievers into World Champions.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:04 pm

LBJackal wrote:You seem pretty set in your ways...........nobody is going to convince you at all so we'll just leave it at this:

Jeter is one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball, doesn't have a lot of power, and apparently is such a great motivator that he makes an entire team of underachievers into World Champions.

Jeter is an above-average player. Just because he doesn't hit homeruns doesn't mean he's a bad player or he's overrated. If it weren't for guys like Jeter, guys like A-Rod wouldn't have RBIs. Jeter bats a high average, gets on base, and SCORES. That is the point of the game, is it not? While mentioning some faults with Jeter's game, you may also want to mention the many pro's.

I never said that Jeter turned a bunch of underacheivers into champions. I said that I'm sick of people saying Jeter is overrated and that anyone could have won a world championship with the teams of the late 90's. There is no foundation to make a statement like that. To say Jeter was NOTHING to those teams is just idiotic. If Jeter is nothing, then he wouldn't be the captain. Matter of fact, he would've been out of town long ago.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:21 pm

LBJackal wrote:And I'm sure Jeter will have so much to do with it...............it won't be Sheffield, Giambi, A-Rod, Bernie, Matsui, Mussina, or Rivera. That's like David Eckstein saying to A-Rod "Hey, I won a World Series, bitch! Have fun with your little MVP award!".

I also forgot to bring up the point that Jeter won the World Series MVP in 2000, so of course he had nothing to do with the championship. :-°
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers