Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:37 pm

LBJackal wrote:And I'm sure Jeter will have so much to do with it...............it won't be Sheffield, Giambi, A-Rod, Bernie, Matsui, Mussina, or Rivera. That's like David Eckstein saying to A-Rod "Hey, I won a World Series, bitch! Have fun with your little MVP award!".


Something to that effect.

Jeter is STILL overrated. Three weeks does not a superstar make. Add in the fact that he's one of the worst fielders at his position in all of baseball (if not THE worst), and he's vastly overrated.

If he played for the Milwaukee Brewers, he'd make 3 million a year and this would just be another hot streak.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:51 pm

I think we are arguing two different arguments. :-)

I was under the impression that we were talking about Jeter's value as a Fantasy Baseball shortstop. In which case he is more valuable then Renteria for this year IMHO. I said this at the beginning of the year and I'm sticking to my story. }:-)
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:05 pm

LBJackal wrote:And I'm sure Jeter will have so much to do with it...............it won't be Sheffield, Giambi, A-Rod, Bernie, Matsui, Mussina, or Rivera. That's like David Eckstein saying to A-Rod "Hey, I won a World Series, bitch! Have fun with your little MVP award!".


Well I know it's not a great argument that he made, but Jeter will most definately contribute to the World Series if they win it. I don't understand how people can call Jeter overrated in the sense that he's a winner. Jeter has lead the team since he got called up to the bigs. He's been the heart and soul of the team. Just because that doesn't translate onto a statsheet doesn't mean it counts for nothing.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:10 pm

How can you say he led the team? How can you say he's the heart and soul? Is it just because people see him as a star but he's not great at baseball, so to be a star he must do something - hey lets say he makes people around him better somehow.

I don't see anything Jeter has done to make him a leader. All he's done is ride the coattails of better Yankees and put far superior defensive players at their unnatural position because he'd been in NY longer. :-t
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:12 pm

LBJackal wrote:How can you say he led the team? How can you say he's the heart and soul? Is it just because people see him as a star but he's not great at baseball, so to be a star he must do something - hey lets say he makes people around him better somehow.

I don't see anything Jeter has done to make him a leader. All he's done is ride the coattails of better Yankees and put far superior defensive players at their unnatural position because he'd been in NY longer. :-t


Whose coattails, exactly, has he ridden?
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby DK » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:14 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:How can you say he led the team? How can you say he's the heart and soul? Is it just because people see him as a star but he's not great at baseball, so to be a star he must do something - hey lets say he makes people around him better somehow.

I don't see anything Jeter has done to make him a leader. All he's done is ride the coattails of better Yankees and put far superior defensive players at their unnatural position because he'd been in NY longer. :-t


Whose coattails, exactly, has he ridden?


Let me put it this way:

The Yankees would have done just as well with Jose Hernandez at shortstop in their run. Jeter is not the backbone of that team.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:15 pm

DK wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:How can you say he led the team? How can you say he's the heart and soul? Is it just because people see him as a star but he's not great at baseball, so to be a star he must do something - hey lets say he makes people around him better somehow.

I don't see anything Jeter has done to make him a leader. All he's done is ride the coattails of better Yankees and put far superior defensive players at their unnatural position because he'd been in NY longer. :-t


Whose coattails, exactly, has he ridden?


Let me put it this way:

The Yankees would have done just as well with Jose Hernandez at shortstop in their run. Jeter is not the backbone of that team.


:-b I find that amusing. Very amusing.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:18 pm

It's the coattails of every other All-Star they've had for the past 8 years. He's had a decent BA, not much power, and horrible defense. Tons of SS's would have been at least as successful as him in the same situation...........almost anybody with a 300 BA.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:23 pm

LBJackal wrote:It's the coattails of every other All-Star they've had for the past 8 years. He's had a decent BA, not much power, and horrible defense. Tons of SS's would have been at least as successful as him in the same situation...........almost anybody with a 300 BA.


Last I checked Giambi, A-Rod, Sheffield, Brown, Vazquez, Matsui, and Soriano weren't on the championship teams. Instead, they were replaced by Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Scott Broucious, Chuck Knoblauch, Tim Raines, Joe Girardi, David Wells, David Cone and Orlando Hernandez.

Exactly how many all-stars are on that team? There was no 40 homerun hitter, 140 RBI man. There was a gel of mediocre players held together through team chemistry, and that allowed for 4 world series championships.

If Jeter has no part in the team and does nothing for them, then why exactly was he named the captain? Past Yankee captains include Lou Gherig, Thurman Munson and Don Mattingly. I highly doubt that Jeter is named a captain if he has no place on the team. That's just an idiotic and ignorant thought.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:24 pm

LBJackal wrote:It's the coattails of every other All-Star they've had for the past 8 years. He's had a decent BA, not much power, and horrible defense. Tons of SS's would have been at least as successful as him in the same situation...........almost anybody with a 300 BA.


Jose Hernandez? Don't make me laugh.
Image
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4067
Joined: 11 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE EMPIRE

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact