Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's all the folks that hate on Jeter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:07 am

Let's just compare Jeter and Tejada real quick.

Jeter has 15 home runs and around 40 RBIs and more runs scored.
Tejada has 12 home runs but around 60 RBIs and a higher average.

With the handful of steals Jeter has, and the fact that he was usually taken 3-4 rounds later than Tejada in the drafts I was in, I'd have to say that this hot steak has made Jeter a pretty damn good pick. Even if his power dwindles down, which it surely will, I'm pretty sure the man can hit 7 more home runs, and will more than likely bring his average close to .300. Like I said earlier...I'll gladly take 20HR and a .300 AVG from a middle infielder any day.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:10 am

Amazinz wrote:Where are all the Renteria people? :-)

:-b Haven't seen them around anytime recently. Its still early though.

I also bought low on Jeter and I'm happy as can be. :-D He goes very nicely on my team along with A-Rod and Vazquez ;-D Giambi is another story though :-[

As for this being a career year, I don't believe that at all, due to his batting average. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes his "career year" from May 26th or so on ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:18 am

Baseballer02 wrote:Let's just compare Jeter and Tejada real quick.

Jeter has 15 home runs and around 40 RBIs and more runs scored.
Tejada has 12 home runs but around 60 RBIs and a higher average.

With the handful of steals Jeter has, and the fact that he was usually taken 3-4 rounds later than Tejada in the drafts I was in, I'd have to say that this hot steak has made Jeter a pretty damn good pick. Even if his power dwindles down, which it surely will, I'm pretty sure the man can hit 7 more home runs, and will more than likely bring his average close to .300. Like I said earlier...I'll gladly take 20HR and a .300 AVG from a middle infielder any day.

Yeah 20 HR and a .300 BA is good for a MI...but Jeter probably won't hit .300 anyway. And he isn't just a MI, he's supposed to be one of the best MI's. 30 HR and 110 RBI is good for a 1B but you'd be disappointed if Thome did that, wouldn't you.

And Renteria has a better BA by 20 points than Jeter and has more SB's........also the same R and RBI. What do you mean where are the Renteria people? LOL. He's the best SS in fantasy baseball as far as I'm concerned. This isn't including A-Rod obviously. I'd most definately take him over Jeter.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:20 am

no doubt renteria is better, I have 3 different teams with a Soriano/Renteria MIF combo, which I've been waiting all season for them to tear things up.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:54 am

Baseballer02 wrote:no doubt renteria is better, I have 3 different teams with a Soriano/Renteria MIF combo, which I've been waiting all season for them to tear things up.

From a FB perspective Renteria isn't better than Jeter. Last year was a fluke and if it's not obvious yet it will be by the end of the year. I like Renteria, not trying to rag on him. I just think the people who were saying Renteria was worth a higher draft pick than Jeter earlier in the year are crazy. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Longhorns76 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:59 am

Amazinz wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:no doubt renteria is better, I have 3 different teams with a Soriano/Renteria MIF combo, which I've been waiting all season for them to tear things up.

From a FB perspective Renteria isn't better than Jeter. Last year was a fluke and if it's not obvious yet it will be by the end of the year. I like Renteria, not trying to rag on him. I just think the people who were saying Renteria was worth a higher draft pick than Jeter earlier in the year are crazy. ;-)

I don't know if it was a fluke. Edgar had been getting better and better every year. I think last year may be the ceiling for his ability and anything above those numbers from here on out are going to be a bonus. But the best years he will have will probably be close to last years numbers IMO.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:18 am

Ok heres some stats to show why he shouldnt be an AllStar
R-44
HR-13
RBI-39
SB-6
AVG- .266
Now, lets take Micheal Young.
R-51
HR-10
RBI-45
SB-7
Avg- .327

Since Young has him beat in every category but home runs, plus hes a better fielder, I think you would have to be on crack to say Jeter deserves to be an AllStar ahead of Young. For Jeter to bring it back up to .300, he would need to be on fire for like 2 months. Heres jeters numbers
.280, 90 RBIs, 100 Runs, 25 HR, 15 SB. They arent at all bad for a SS, but Nomar, Tejada, and Young will have better numbers. (Well not Nomar overall, but from here on out)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:21 am

I agree with Amazins. Jeter has put up solid numbers consistently throughout his career. Renteria has been a mediocre hitter, .300 average with no power and decent speed. Last year he hits .330 with 100 RBIs and 30 SBs. All of a sudden, he's a better shortstop than Jeter? Let me see him do it this year. I feel much more comfortable with a guy like Jeter, who for the most part will bring you consistency and the same stats every year, with not a big chance of a down-year. Renteria is having no All-Star season by any stretch, either.

Preston Wilson put up great numbers last year, does that mean you'd rather have him than Vlad Guererro? No. Same thing with Renteria and Jeter, maybe just on a smaller scale.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JamesBond007 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:31 am

I'm sure this October when Jeter gets another ring he'll call Michael Young and congratulate him on his All-Star game appearance. ;-D
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:27 pm

And I'm sure Jeter will have so much to do with it...............it won't be Sheffield, Giambi, A-Rod, Bernie, Matsui, Mussina, or Rivera. That's like David Eckstein saying to A-Rod "Hey, I won a World Series, bitch! Have fun with your little MVP award!".

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers