Yahoo's Player Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's Player Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:17 pm

Madison wrote:Yahoo rankings are worthless. Maybe you get a little insight as to what some of your uninformed leaguemates are thinking, but they really are useless.

Meaning anyone that looks at Yahoo stats is "uninformed" and basically an inferior player to someone like, uh... yourself maybe?

Give me a break.

All of us players (who aren't fantasy baseball gods like yourself) might use the rankings to determine without bias which players have been most productive thus far. Considering injuries are only partially taken into account (o-rank), they shouldn't be the end all, but they most certainly are not worthless.

In a standard 5x5 league, what rankings are more accurate than Yahoo in measuring the current season's performance thus far?

I'm sure the people at Yahoo would love to be enlightened by somebody as knowledgeable as yourself. ;-)

"edited for a couple type-os" Sorry, I'm stubborn that way.
Last edited by josebach on Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:20 pm

it would help if there were some clue as to how they arrived at them.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby monybaggs » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:46 pm

my league has CG and Shutouts as a roto cat.... yahoo doesnt take them into account for their rating system
monybaggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:20 pm

they're a useful tool. need to see who's been hot lately for a ww pickup at of? just turn the right filters. obviously they're not the end-all, and their pre-season rankings are generally poor.

in basketball, i used both yahoo's rankings and espn's player rater, but the baseball player rater seems to require a fee to use, so that's right out.

the rankings are useful provided you don't take them as gospel.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:49 pm

I wouldnt say that they are worthless, but i would not put much stock into them either. They measure players purely on the 5 catagories....and leave out nonstatitical catagories such as upside, injuries, run support, lineups, etc. that can effect the 5 catagories in the future.

I also agree that someone who is really high in one catagory tends to skew his ranking.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ironman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:53 pm

Madison wrote:Yahoo rankings are worthless. Maybe you get a little insight as to what some of your uninformed leaguemates are thinking, but they really are useless.

I use them to my advantage. I love to offer trades for guys that Yahoo has ranked really low (due to whatever, injuries, slump, etc.) and I'll deal one of my guys that despite not being a better player looks better according to Yahoo rankings. Its amazing how some can perceive this as being a good deal for them. :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby DK » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:19 pm

ironman wrote:

I use them to my advantage. I love to offer trades for guys that Yahoo has ranked really low (due to whatever, injuries, slump, etc.) and I'll deal one of my guys that despite not being a better player looks better according to Yahoo rankings. Its amazing how some can perceive this as being a good deal for them. :-D

I do the same thing.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:33 am

josebach wrote:

Meaning anyone that looks at Yahoo stats is "uninformed" and basically an inferior player to someone like, uh... yourself maybe?

Give me a break.

All of us players (who aren't fantasy baseball gods like yourself) might use the rankings to determine without bias which players have been most productive thus far. Considering injuries are only partially taken into account (o-rank), they shouldn't be the end all, but they most certainly are not worthless.

In a standard 5x5 league, what rankings are more accurate than Yahoo in measuring the current season's performance thus far?

I'm sure the people at Yahoo would love to be enlightened by somebody as knowledgeable as yourself. ;-)

"edited for a couple type-os" Sorry, I'm stubborn that way.

Excuse me? Seems you need to take a step back and read what I wrote.

"Uninformed" was meant for those owners who do not know how to value players on their own. That's a basic concept of being "uninformed". People with the knowledge do not need Yahoo to show them who is playing over their head and who will wake up. "Uninformed" owners do tend to use bias when judging talent so they do need help in determining rankings. "Uninformed" owners do not realize that a player's numbers are down due to significant time missed due to injury. Something else that "Uninformed" owners always fail to realize is that each player's stats for the year are irrelevant. You do not get credit for what they have done so far, you only get credit for what they do from the point and time you get them, until the point and time that they are no longer with you.

Grasp the basic understanding of "uninformed" before coming at me with such absurdity.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:23 am

Ok, I've had time to mull this over a bit. Josebach, surely you have come across an owner who highly overvalues Yahoo's rankings, right? That's the owners I was targeting when I made the comment. Anyone who takes the time to frequent a message board to improve their team, and learn to be a better fantasy player certainly does not qualify in the statement I made. The only real use I see for Yahoo's attempt at a ranking system is to use the rankings against those "uninformed" (sorry to use that word again, but it's nicer than saying "stupid") owners who overvalue the *cough* rankings *cough*.

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FantasyNoob » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:52 am

Geez, thanks for posting this topic. It's nice to know that those rankings are based on 5x5. I assumed the rankings (especially just current season ranks) were calculated based on our league custom point scoring (which wouldn't be all that hard for Yahoo to do). I love having Guardado, but I couldn't figure out the other day how guardado was ranked just higher than Rivera the other day, when rivera had so many more saves. Rivera is now ranked higher, but a few days ago Guardado had the edge. Must've been slightly better in other categories to compensate for trailing in saves.
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers