Yahoo's Player Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's Player Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo's Player Rankings

Postby Irish » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:42 am

Should I even consider these when I make trades and pick-ups??? I saw a post about Jermaine Dye and how he wasn't that valuable in a ten team league, but he is ranked 66th on the player rater right now. I know alot of the people in my league go by it, and I tend to also. But is this thing just way off. Should I use this to my advantage, or is Yahoo acurate. One thing I noticed is how much they over-value homeruns by the way. Someone could be up by 15 in RBI, but if the other guy has 4 more homeruns he's ranked higher. Does anyone have a comment on this????
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:23 am

I agree to an extent...I mean, I always look at yahoo rankings because they are helpful...but they do OVERvalue players, like in my leaguet hey have Adam Dunn WAYYYYYY over ranked. We count k's against you and he KILLLLLLS you in that dept. And he's not very good for AVG, ok for RBI's and Runs. But he can hit HR's---ONE CATAGORY! BFD
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby tmoney » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:45 am

Yahoo is , I use the espn.com player rater. I find that much more accurate.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DEF » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:52 am

One thing to bear in mind with Yahoo rankings is regardless of individual league setups, the rankings are all based on 5x5 scoring. So they will always overvalue players dominant in one category (steals, saves, homers, etc.) because those guys have more impact with just the five standard categories than in a league with more, like the Ks against for hitters mentioned above. So if you play in a league with more categories, definitely realize that the rankings might not apply directly to value in YOUR league. The rankings are also based solely on current stats and what the players has done so far, not what they are likely to do in the future, so you have to take care that you're not judging a player on stats he's already accumulated (and thus won't help your team) when he's unlikely to maintain that pace. The O-rank seems to try to balance the two a bit, but I've never found it to be too reliable.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby strats36 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:19 am

Don't forget to check out the Monthly and Weekly ranking as well. They can give you an idea of trends. D. Bautista for example, is still pretty hightly ranked for the season because of his tremendous April. Check out the Monthly and Weekly ranks and you'll see a different story. The Yahoo ranking also doesn't seem to adjust for DL stints.
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jojo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:07 am

it's the old espn.com Jason Kidd trick.... he'd rank high on assists and steals but kills you in FG% and points scored.. yet he could be ranked a top 10 fantasy player. :-t

it's good for a few laughs sometimes. :-°
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby john gardner » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:32 am

I like the yahoo rankings. When I checked them against the ESPN player rater (not recently) they were nearly Identical, and neither makes any allowance for D/L time.
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chris8 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:38 am

What bugs me about the yahoo ratings is when you get someone trying to trade you Beckett for Prior "because Beckett's had the better season so far" (true story %-6 )!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:12 am

Yahoo rankings are worthless. Maybe you get a little insight as to what some of your uninformed leaguemates are thinking, but they really are useless.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ferris182 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:01 pm

Madison wrote:Yahoo rankings are worthless. Maybe you get a little insight as to what some of your uninformed leaguemates are thinking, but they really are useless.

Exactly!
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers