need your thoughts/ideas on this... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

need your thoughts/ideas on this...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:39 pm

In Fantasy Basebeall, youve got to do whatever you can within the rules in order to win. If you do not have rules in place to prevent these all-relief strategies, tons of spot starters for pitching, etc...then you cannot complain.

I do not understand what people are so upset about when players use the all-relief strategy. Different stratagies make fantasy baseball more interesting, and they force you to adjust your strategy. Dont be mad at someone for outthinking you.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:40 pm

monybaggs wrote:sorry....that was harsh. But the game is configured in a way that everone can have different strategies. Changing it, and creating new positions so that you're strategie will bring you more sucess and hurt others who are sucessful seems pretty selfish to me

exactly, agree with the last post too
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby riverrat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:41 pm

moneybaggs, no offense taken.
I have 1 baseball and 1 basketball championship each. Playing for 3 years now. Come close often.
I guess it'll always come down to how we prefer to play. I will find/or create a league to prevent all relief. You will find leagues that will allow that strategy.
One thing is certain tho...we will never meet H2H to discover who is the 'manager man'.
Good luck anyway.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:03 pm

riverrat wrote:I want to mimick baseball as close as we can possibly get it.

Do you realize it's not the roster structure that causes the problem but the scoring system instead? If you're so unhappy, try something other than Yahoo. There are plenty of well-run, private leagues that have been going strong for a long time, and they do a great job of making a balanced team a winning team.

-Stl
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby riverrat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:10 pm

In my 2nd year of FB I went to an all relief strategy at the All-Star break. Traded exc. starters for RP's. The other managers were quite angry. I went to the finals to lose by one cat. There are managers out there that agree with me...am saddened that they are so quiet on the subject.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BGbootha » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:36 pm

One thing we have done this year in one of my leagues is institute a minimum start and a maximum start.

For instance we have 5 pitchers start a week, but can't have more than 9. Adds a little more thought into your pitching for the week. I have really liked it so far this year.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:01 pm

and this is why I like roto.
Oddball strategies do not work in a sane roto set-up, you only need a few safeguards to prevent these sorts of things...

you really should stop whining. if you want to simulate the "baseball experience" there are several sites out there that actually do sim leagues... you do a normal draft, you set your roster, set your rotations and the computer simulates the game for you, along with stealing and pickoffs and everything. the BAs and ERAs are based on your players' performances that week...

the whole point of the sort of FBB you are playing right now is to allow people to try different legal things to gain an advantage. This strategy will likely not work if more than one or two people try it in a given league... things like this tend to sort themselves out.

how would you feel if someone decided to forego AVG and just focus on power and speed guys with low averages... guys noone else would take because of their low average...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers