need your thoughts/ideas on this... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

need your thoughts/ideas on this...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby riverrat » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:40 am

I agree it is a valid strategy, its within the rules. But it blows. Then lets just not use any SP's. In my fantasy baseball world you try to come as close as you can to 'real' baseball/rosters.
I've seen this strategy win too many times. Thats the reason for this post and my asking all you players your thoughts.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:17 am

Institute a minimum innings limit. Something like 30-40 innings. That would force owners to have and use a few starters every week, thus eliminating the "all-reliever" strategy. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:03 am

In addition to a highere minimum for inning pitched, you could add positive accumulation categories like Ks. These might be: innings pitched, games started, complete games, shutouts, and GIDP. Although, you need a good balance across categories. You also need a good level of depth. Otherwise, you'll create a situation where players churn SPs, which I see as a possibility with your new setup.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:08 am

part of the fun of fantasy baseball is that managers can use different legal strategies. Forcing everyone to follow the same path seems somewhat totalitarian to me.

I think you're just bitter that the guy managed to pick out GOOD relievers. what kind of league is it? points? category? roto?h2h? how's he doing in the cumulative stats like wins and Ks? are you sure he's not in first because of his batting?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j5mikey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:16 am

^^^^

Agreeing with matmat on this one. Are you going to ban the guy who tries for the all HR or all SB team, too? Seems like you're getting roughed up by Damaso Marte and the middle relief squad and cant handle it.
j5mikey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby monybaggs » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:14 pm

I agree with the two above. Im a closer rat myself....while everyone else was drafting bonds and manny, I was drafting rivera and smoltz........when they were getting Huff and Hilenbrand, I was drafting Kolb and graves.

Then I used the WW to aquire players like Mora, Overbay, Casey and Vmart to fill the gaps I missed in the draft. After dominating week after week, I had all the trading chips in the world (because I had all the good closers) and managed to grab Vlad, Burnitz and Kent for cheap money. Then I sub'd my closer losses with Takatsu and Cordero.

Its a strat Ive used for the past couple years because come mid-season, closers are worth gold in offensive players....Dont be suprised if this guy who's beating you begins to do the same
monybaggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby riverrat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:56 pm

Dont get me wrong here, I appreciate all responses whether +/-.
We all play this game with the rules/cats that are fun for us. MANY different ways to go. I want to mimick baseball as close as we can possibly get it. I just wish Yahoo could add another rating for closer only--a CL. That might help. I'm going with max 7 starts/wk next year.
This league is 5X5, roto. 21 roster.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby riverrat » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:21 pm

All you relief boys: everyone else seems to play 'normally' in the leagues you're in except you guys. They draft to find a comfortable split between hitting and pitching. You "gentleman" come along and skew everything by then winning SV, ERA, WHIP.(more than likely)Why dont you find an 'all relief' league and get your jollies from that. Everyone else wants to play BASEBALL, not relief baseball.
Sounds to me like you cant match other's draft proficiency in picking a mix of hitting/pitching.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby monybaggs » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:32 pm

sounds like you've been playing FB for years and have yet to place higher than 5th or 6th. I am atop my league in Offense and pitching from the strat I use.....I bet you drop all your players and give up 3/4 the way through the year too huh? Sounds like a great time being in a league with your whining ass
monybaggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby monybaggs » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 pm

sorry....that was harsh. But the game is configured in a way that everone can have different strategies. Changing it, and creating new positions so that you're strategie will bring you more sucess and hurt others who are sucessful seems pretty selfish to me
monybaggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers