need your thoughts/ideas on this... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

need your thoughts/ideas on this...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

need your thoughts/ideas on this...

Postby riverrat » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:17 pm

Once again in 1 of my leagues some jerk-o does a variation of the all-relief roster thing. Currently leading big time. I'm tired of this.
So...this is what I want to do next year. Never been a commish so you'll have to tell me if I can do it and if its a good idea. All in Yahoo free.
Going with starting position for pitching will be SP,SP,SP,RP,RP. with max of 7 starts/wk. Roster size large enough so it will be your 5/6 starters and 2 closers vs. mine. No "P"'s position to fart around with.
I also want to eliminat WHIP. 2 reasons. It thus opens up the group of pitchers with decent ERA's and then may initiate more trading.
Your thoughts...
Thanks.
R'Rat
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby whefner » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:30 pm

I am in a weekly lineup league that starts 5SP, and 3RP. I actually like it alot this way and it eliminates the situation you are concerned about
whefner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby blankman » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:31 pm

I've used the SP, RP only idea this year in my Yahoo Roto league and it generally works out well. The only problem you run into are in eligibility issues i.e. Graves, Chacon, Shields (all relievers) qualify at SP and are then used as extra closers, when other teams can't possibly have the same amount of closers, but this does add strategy. At the very least, if someone does manage to find all relievers that qualify at SP, they won't be the best like KRod, Lidge, Mota, Gordon etc. I can't think of any better idea though and this in general safeguards against all relievers pretty well. Personally, I don't like the idea of taking out WHIP and I kind of doubt it would initiate a noticably greater amount of trading.

Good luck ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Crazy Horse » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:40 pm

I like your ideas.

Got a similar, but different problem in my league that I want to change next year. We don't differentiate between SP & RP, it's all P. I want to seperate that and also limit the number of starts or innings pitched because we got a couple of guys who have a ton of pitchers. one guy traded his closers and gave up on saves justo to hopefully get wins and strike outs. We also have deep benches which allows for a lot of pitchers.
BRILLIANT!
Crazy Horse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

All works

Postby Willie3101 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:01 pm

Im in a league like that and it works great. I think the P possition is a mistake unless you and your opponents (assuming like me you know your opponents) agree to only use the P for setup or middle relief. The Whip i also dont like as a fantasy stat, but i tend to be in the minority with that position.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pibb55 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:13 pm

I agree with the cheap P spot dispute, but WHIP is necessary i think. If a pitcher allow 2 hits per inning then gets out of it he shouldnt be ranked as high as a pitcher who allows 1 hit all game but that hits a HR.

Example: Jake Peavy 1.36 WHIP 2.01 ERA, without WHIP hes a top 5 pitcher
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tracey518 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:16 am

i do'nt exactly get it, what's the strategy in having all relievers and how is that guy dominating? can you thrive on only vulture wins?

is it bad ettiquette to have all relievers in your P roster spots?
i don't see the huge advantage.
tracey518
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmoney » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:23 am

Sounds to me like we have a sore loser on our hands.... This is a common strategy that I have seen used in many leagues. It is a STRATEGY, not cheating. In one of my leagues, the guy who drafted only closers is in second. In another league, someone else tried that strategy and he is close to last. If someone has the smarts to pick the best closers that will not flop, then good for him. He deserves some credit for either being smart, or lucky. If you dont like it, I suggest joining him, not changing the way the game is played. Just my 2 cents.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:40 am

tmoney is right about the strategy aspect. Personally I think in some leagues there is an oveer-emphasis on relievers and 2x starters, and if thats not your thing find a different league or create one ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jojo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:57 am

if he has a team of good closers.. its a pretty good strategy, otherwise i dont see how it would work.. basically he gives up wins and Ks for WHIP ERA and Saves... added plus if your league counts holds then he can be a double douche.

Just prepare to laugh when one of his closers give up a 4 run inning...

most leagues have minimum innings pitched per week if you're in a H2H league. you'd want to adjust that...

There's a guy I played with he'd grab a super ace like randy johnson and fill his roster up with nothing but relievers... kinda cheap but effective.
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers