Who do you think will explode/implode after the A.S. break? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who do you think will explode/implode after the A.S. break?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who do you think will explode/implode after the A.S. break?

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:38 am

Thought this might be helpful to get people thinking of players who could be had cheap due to slow 1st half performances or sold high due to awesome 1st half starts. I was trying to think of some and would like to hear who others are targeting for big 2nd half explosions or implosions. Also those who are having a bad 1st half and might not see it get better 2nd half.

Some I were considering for a nice big half-

Delgado- He's had a rough season. But with Toronto being pretty much a disappointment this year I'd expect when he comes back to be more relaxed and just try and have a strong 2nd half. Wells will be back soon to and he's been swinging a very hot bat until the injury so that will help him as well.

A.Huff- If you look over the past couple of years he seems to do much better 2nd half than 1st. And I don't see why this can't happen again. He's been swinging alot better the past 2 months and the whole T.B. team has been playing much better. Expect good things from him.

Some I think might be headed for an implosion-

Sean Casey- He's already near his career high in HR set in '99. He's always seemed to have some nagging injuries that jump up on him that cause him to decline. And his numbers seem to decline dramatically as the season wears on.. probably due to some of those injuries. And as I was looking over him I saw he left Friday's game with a hamstring injury.

Melvin Mora- This one hurts for me to say because I own him. But I can't ignore that over his last 3 yrs averages that his BA dips almost 100 pts from 1st to 2nd half! Injuries hampered him end of last season after his awesome start. This season appears it may be headed in the same direction now.

Some who are struggling already and may not get better-

Andruw Jones- No where near what anyone would expect him to be and his numbers show he only gets worse in the 2nd half. Both BA and HR's dip quite a bit 2nd half.

Bret Boone- Very bad 1st half for him. Whatever seems to be the problem, it doesn't appear to be getting better anytime soon. Only thing thats probably keeping him on a lot of teams is the fact that July,August,September months he seems to do much better. Batting over .330 the past 3 years in the month of Sept. But last years stats showed he declined pretty big in the 2nd half. As he only batted .267 with 11 HR's the rest of the way.

Now, I turn it over to everyone else. I'd like to see why people think some may explode or implode. :-)
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:59 am

I agree with your picks almost 100%. I'll add a few:

Explode: Contreras, Sammy Sosa, Magglio, Rich Harden, Nomar, Millar, several Texas players will have continued success, Garrett Anderson

Implode: Jim Edmonds (if people would just pitch this guy up, he'd K 200 times, any Mariners player, Ryan Klesko (I think he sucks all year long with no more than 8 HR total)
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

hmm...

Postby Willie3101 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:20 am

I would agree on your delgado/ wells predictions, Huff, and mora. Andruw Jones i think will get better. It may not be as good as some of his years but i think he will still put up some hot numbers before its all said and done. Casey im not sure about. I dont think he will totally fall off or get injured, but i think his average will slip a little because he just doesnt hit this consistant.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KULCAT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:25 am

I think Mora´s injury is a blessing really. The problme with players that are too hot in the first half is rest. Mora´s injury is not that serious and it shouldnt affect his swing. He should comeback relaxed and be great for at least 2 more months
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:16 am

I have Delgado and his injury is starting to worry me. A rib injury sounds painful and it's taking awhile. That being said, he will be rehabbing his knee and that will be stronger as well when he finally gets in there. I hope to get at least August and September out of the slugger.

on edit: I grabbed Hatt to replace him so I'm happy with that at least. ;-D
Last edited by T-Bone Costanza on Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pete O » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:20 am

I see Soriano cranking it up in the second half.
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nsulham » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:39 am

Pete O wrote:I see Soriano cranking it up in the second half.

He's got HR's in 2 straight so it's a start ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rmeesig » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:00 pm

I'm thinking that fella - Wood, over in Chicago might be due for some exciting games!! :-) :-)
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: hmm...

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:54 am

Willie3101 wrote:I would agree on your delgado/ wells predictions, Huff, and mora. Andruw Jones i think will get better. It may not be as good as some of his years but i think he will still put up some hot numbers before its all said and done. Casey im not sure about. I dont think he will totally fall off or get injured, but i think his average will slip a little because he just doesnt hit this consistant.

You're probably right Andruw will do better. I was reading in the Atl Journal today that the Braves have made it known that this is the year they would consider letting Andruw go for the right deal. As much as I would hate to see it.. I think once Andruw goes somewhere else he's gonna explode. It always happens to the Braves when they let go of someone young. Schmidt, Dye when healthy,Vinny Castilla several years ago when he went to Col the 1st time, Marquis is even doing much better this year. If Andruw were to go somewhere else he'd probably blow up and make any deal the Braves got look like a bad one.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmoney » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:23 am

As sad as I am to say it, I think Steve Finley's stats will be worse than they were during the first half of the year. Maybe he is having the season of his life.... And he is a great guy, but he is not this great of a baseball player. Not saying his stats during the second half will be awful, I just think he is about as good of a sell high player as they come.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers