Scott Podsednik Vs Carl Crawford - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Podsednik Vs Carl Crawford

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:07 pm

funatic wrote:Pods is better. This is the first year that Crawford is hitting above .300, while Pods did that last year, so expect his BA to rise, but probably not as high as last year.

Also, while Crawford has stolen just one less base than Pods, he has been caught 10 times to Pods's 2! When Pods starts to hit more singles, the SB will rise. He was on a very good streak before his BA slumped, so that could change.


Um this is Crawfords 2nd full year and he is quite young. So I don't see how saying Crawford never hit above .300 proves anything at all on your point.

Also most leagues don't count CS's and he's a young player and that will improve.

There pretty close in my opinion, but Pods spike in power to me doesn't make up for Crawford's avg. Also the Rays look to be having a much better offense for the rest of this year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Re: prime?

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:35 am

Willie3101 wrote:Podsednik is going to be one of the guys who still preforms great at age 40


How can you go out and just say that? Do you have anything to back that up? Just because one hitter has done it recently- Barry Bonds, does not mean Pods can do the same thing, especially because Pods is a speed guy. You don't see Barry running anymore like he used to, do you? So what makes you think that a guy built on speed like Pods can perform at 40? Will he be stealing 40 bases a year at that age? Its almost impossible; I just can't fathom how you can make that statement.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

oops

Postby Willie3101 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:45 am

sorry i should have mentioned some of my reasoning for this belief. The reason i believe podsednik will be preforming at the level he is now when he is 40 is because he is one of those guys who really concentrates in the offseason about becoming better and is a student of the game. I know this because he is the cousin to a friend of mine and through the friend i have heard some of his work out schedules and it is amazing how often he worked out last winter and not just like running and weightlifting but actually throwing around and actually running down flys. These are the reasons that i think he has the work effort to be one of those great players at 40. Not only these reasons, but he has also said publically and to my friend after the johnson perfect game that he really admires that kind of performance and wants to be as dedicated to the game to do that.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 102
Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:06 am

Do a study on players and when they come into the game, how long they last, and when they peak. I have.

What you find (there are exceptions) is that players who break out late peak faster, and then end their career faster, especially those whose careers are built on power. There are very few players who have spikes in speed late in their careers (Lopes, Lowenstien etc.).

Players who enter early (19-21) breakout at (25-27) peak around (30-32) and their careers last longer. I think Crawford will be this type of player. He is 23 and still learning to hit and steal bases. He is listed at 6'2 219. Think about that size and speed 8-o . When he learns to drive the ball he will be incredible :-o

Crawford for now and in the future ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2796
Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Looking over your shoulder as you type.

Postby funatic » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:55 am

hybrid wrote:
funatic wrote:Pods is better. This is the first year that Crawford is hitting above .300, while Pods did that last year, so expect his BA to rise, but probably not as high as last year.

Also, while Crawford has stolen just one less base than Pods, he has been caught 10 times to Pods's 2! When Pods starts to hit more singles, the SB will rise. He was on a very good streak before his BA slumped, so that could change.


Um this is Crawfords 2nd full year and he is quite young. So I don't see how saying Crawford never hit above .300 proves anything at all on your point.

Also most leagues don't count CS's and he's a young player and that will improve.

There pretty close in my opinion, but Pods spike in power to me doesn't make up for Crawford's avg. Also the Rays look to be having a much better offense for the rest of this year.


Since I am on a totally different time zone, it takes me a while to respond...

Anyhow, I am not saying that Crawford won't keep it up, but I am saying that Pods has last year, so there's no reason not to believe that he will raise his BA some before the year ends.

Why I brought up CS is not because it is a fantasy category, but its because it can actually mean something. He is fast, no doubt they both are. Like I said, as Pods hits more singles, he would get more opportunities to run. And since his success rate so fat This season is exceptional, I would expect the SB's to increase.

That being said, if my belief that Pods will raise his BA turns out to be a folly, then Crawford is better. Otherwise, I would take Pods.
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 349
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: oops

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:48 am

Willie3101 wrote:sorry i should have mentioned some of my reasoning for this belief. The reason i believe podsednik will be preforming at the level he is now when he is 40 is because he is one of those guys who really concentrates in the offseason about becoming better and is a student of the game. I know this because he is the cousin to a friend of mine and through the friend i have heard some of his work out schedules and it is amazing how often he worked out last winter and not just like running and weightlifting but actually throwing around and actually running down flys. These are the reasons that i think he has the work effort to be one of those great players at 40. Not only these reasons, but he has also said publically and to my friend after the johnson perfect game that he really admires that kind of performance and wants to be as dedicated to the game to do that.


That is a good story and I fully respect your reasons, but don't you think most players do the same thing? Anyone who wants to have longevity is going to workout a lot durin the offseason. Anyone who wants to become a better hitter is a student of the game. And as for the comment about wanting to be dedicated to play long, don't you think most players feel the same way?

I think reality will set in, as he gets older and loses some of the speed, that no matter how much he wants to continue to be the type of player he is, its not really possible.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby john gardner » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:58 am

Very Interesting discussion. Makes me see why some of you like the Keeper games. think I'll get in one next year.
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 769
Joined: 7 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: IRMO

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact