If "Hitler" kills a thread, what about political campaigns? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

If "Hitler" kills a thread, what about political campaigns?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:48 pm

In their own words, moveon didn't find the ad objectionable? Is that what you're saying now?

From Fox News:

MoveOn.org released a statement on Monday, saying neither that ad nor another one portraying Hitler and Bush was their ad, "nor did their appearance constitute endorsement or sponsorship by MoveOn.org Voter Fund. They will not appear on TV. We do not support the sentiment expressed in the two Hitler submissions."

MoveOn.org noted that those ads were voted down by the group's members and the public, who submitted nearly 3 million critiques while choosing the 15 finalist entries.

"We agree that the two ads in question were in poor taste and deeply regret that they slipped through our screening process," the statement said. "In the future, if we publish or broadcast raw material, we will create a more effective filtering system."

Well, it's not exactly what you said, but maybe you just remembered wrong.

In any case, nobody - NOBODY - at moveon was responsible for making these ads. Nobody at moveon endorsed these ads. They were submitted by the public. They were removed within 24 hours.

How long has Bush's ad been up? Has Ed Gillespie gotten around to calling it "the worst and most vile form of political hate speech," yet? Or is that only for when you can tenuously and falsely connect the ad with the democratic party - somehow it's okay when our president does it?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:50 pm

I won't wade back into this because I won't get anywhere, but one thought:

As a Democrat, I like this ad. Take away the yelling, listen to the words, and I think people might realize that Bush really did get us into a mess over there. Interesting that they make our case for us. :-]
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:01 pm

MoveOn became the subject of controversy early this year when it posted two ads on its Web site that compared Bush to Adolf Hitler. The ads were submitted to the group as part of a contest to produce anti-Bush commercials, and Republican Chairman Ed Gillespie said Exley dismissed Republican complaints about them with a barnyard expletive and called it Republican Bullchit

This was the guy Kerry hired, Exley, The one man, soley responsible for the ads even bieng run in the first place ....

apparently he was ok by Kerry ... ;-D Not to mention the obvious link to illegal soft money. ahh but no biggee, He can just pay a fine after the election. Wasn't Al Gores "Political Fine" after 2000, the largest in history ... Maybe it was that Bill guy in the decade before
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:05 pm

WR, you do know that conservatives have their own 527s, don't you?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:14 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:WR, you do know that conservatives have their own 527s, don't you?

sure I do ... when was there Hitler ad?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:43 pm

wrveres wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:WR, you do know that conservatives have their own 527s, don't you?

sure I do ... when was there Hitler ad?

Never said there was. Did I?

You seem to get on your high horse about the Republicans.

You said:

wrveres wrote: Not to mention the obvious link to illegal soft money. ahh but no biggee, He can just pay a fine after the election. Wasn't Al Gores "Political Fine" after 2000, the largest in history ... Maybe it was that Bill guy in the decade before

Just pointing out that the Republicans are doing the same thing, finding the loopholes.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:48 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Just pointing out that the Republicans are doing the same thing, finding the loopholes.

agreed ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk