First Timer - Need Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First Timer - Need Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Timer - Need Help

Postby beef » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:46 pm

I'm in a Head to Head league, 10 teams total, batting averages are not a factor in scoring. Here's my current roster:

Jorge Posada - C
Todd Helton - 1B
Roberto Alomar - 2B
Tony Batista - 3B
Rafael Furcal - SS
Andruw Jones - OF
Vernon Wells - OF
Manny Ramirez - OF
Kevin Millar - DH

On bench
Alex Gonzalez (CHC)
David Bell
Adam Kennedy
Josh Phelps

Here are my pitchers:
Juan Acevedo
Tony Armas
Keith Foulke
Derek Lowe
Pedre Martinez
Freddy Garcia
Mike MacDougal

On bench
Kelvim Escobar
Eddie Guardado

Alomar has been ice cold. I'm thinking of moving him out and replacing him with Kennedy or picking up Mark Ellis from the FA and dropping Alomar all together.

I'm also torn about my shortstop situation. Furcal just hasn't been doing it. I'm considering putting Gonzalez in while he's hot or picking up Cabrera from the FA.

I think I need another starter, but I'm no sure who. I've been looking at Brad Myers since his first outing was very impressive. Any ideas about my pitching?

Any help or opinions are greaty appeciated.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:05 pm

Your batting looks strong all down your lineup with the exception of the 3B position; Batista is just not a strong enough 3B in a ten team league as he would be hard pressed to be rated in the top 15 third basemen. I would recommend not dropping Alomar, as he will come around. Kennedy was injured on opening day and it has been day-to-day on whether he plays or not. He has missed 3 of 5 games and has not batted well when he did play. One thing you could do is pick up D'Angelo Jiminez off waivers if available (he can play 2B and 3B) and has been fairly hot lately.

By all means, swap in Gonzalez while he's hot. I think that Cabrera is probably a better SS than Furcal anyway if you have that option off the waiver wire.

For pitching, you have three bonafide aces but I would be worried about using Armas. If Lilly or Horatio Ramirez are available on waivers, they are better option and plays for better teams. You have plenty of closers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beef » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:40 pm

I like your idea with Jiminez. He's an FA in my league, so I may pick him up. What do you think about Mark Ellis at second? He's been hot lately and seems like an up and comer.

Batista has been hot lately, but I do share your feeling about him. I'm going to try to ride this out with him and in the mean time get another thirdbase as backup. Any other opinions about who might be on FA and is a decent third baseman? How about Crede and is Bell not a good candidate?

Should I just dump Furcal for Cabrera and move Gonzalez in while he's hot? Any other suggestions?

As far a pitching goes, I'm going to stick with Armas for now. I think he's going to have a decent season. I do need more starters though. Any opinions on Brett Myer? He had 11ks and no era in his first outing.

Any ideas on who I could lose as an RP to be utilized in a trade to improve my SP, 3B, 2B, or SS situations? What's my weakest point? Where do I need to improve? Thanks again for the help.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:01 am

Well, I think that Furcal and Cabrera are better than Gonzalez, so if you think Cabrera will still be on FA in a couple weeks when Gonzalez cools off, I would wait. Either that or drop Acevedo for Cabrera, because Rivera will be back soon anyway.

You have three proven closers in Foulke, Escobar and Guardado and might be able to trade one away. But, the problem in a 10 team league is that everyone may already have closers they are happy with so their value is limited.

Your strength is your outfield and your main weakness would be at 3B and SS. I think Cabrera is a more than adequate SS. Crede would be a slight improvement over Batista, but not by much. You might also want to take a chance on Hank Blalock, if he's available on waivers; he has been super hot lately.

I would say Armas and Myers are both about equal; they are both sleepers with upside but potential risks. Myers does play for a stronger team though.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beef » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:26 am

How about Ohka for a starter? And do you think Acevedo will get no saves when Rivera even though Karsay may be out for a while?

Or Bellhorn at third? He's been pretty cold so far, but he seemed to play well last year.

Can you think of any other trade combinations that would help out my SS, 3B, or SP situation.

And sorry to keep repeating myself, what would you do right this second in regard to my 2B situation with Alomar. I think you're right about not dropping him, but I need to do something to make up for these lost points. I want to bench him, but just don't' know who to replace him with. Mark Ellis is hot, Kennedy is touch and go since he's been hurt, and Jiminez (as you suggested) seems to be doing well. What would you suggest?

Thanks again for all the help.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beef » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:17 pm

How about adding Ohka or Brett Myers to my pitching staff? Acevedo will be replaced soon, so I was going to try to trade him and Escobar to the guy who owns Riviera. I'm struggling to figure out which of my pitchers I should get rid of so I can add one of those guys. I don't want to drop any of them, but just don't know what sort of value I can get through a trade. If anyone has any suggestions based on what my current roster looks like and what sorts of trades I could make, please let me know. Thanks for the help.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team