Updated roster: comments or suggestions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Updated roster: comments or suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Updated roster: comments or suggestions

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:28 pm

Here is my updated roster after several days of wheeling and dealing to try and strenghten my team and plug holes. I am in a ten team, mixed, non-keeper, 30 category roto league.

Starters:
C: Mike Lieberthal
C: Javy Lopez
1B: Mike Sweeney
2B: Roberto Alomar
SS: Rich Aurilia
3B: Aramis Ramirez
RF: Cliff Floyd
LF: Brad Wilkerson
CF: Andruw Jones
OF: Bernie Williams
OF: Austin Kearns
OF: Moises Alou
IF: Orlando Cabrera
Utility: Paul Konerko

Bench:
Adam Kennedy (2B)
Hank Blalock (3B)
Aubrey Huff (1B)
Carl Crawford (CF)

Starting pitchers:

Pedro Martinez
Mark Mulder
Mike Mussina
Kerry Wood
Odalis Perez
Ted Lilly
Vicente Padilla
Horatio Ramirez

Relief pitchers:

John Smoltz
Mike MacDougal
Steve Kline
Tim Worrell

I realize that I have very little speed on my team. However, with SB being only one of 30 categories, I think its probably safe to ignore it, given that people with good SB numbers generally hurt other stats like average, RBIs and homers unless you go for elite guys like ARod or Vladimir.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theisrealite » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:38 pm

30 cats????? You might as well play fantasy points instead of roto. Any way I will take a peak at your team, but do me a favor and take a look at mine, the post is starting to get buried.

Since I don't know all your cats I am just going to do a generalzation.

At catcher, well you have catchers that if they are just 50% of their old selves will do you some justice.

1B is covered solidly with Sweeney. Only thing to worry about is the minor injuries he seems to always get. Huff and Konerko also make you very strong at this poistion.

2B if you going to take a risk then this is the guy to take it with. In my book you got Soriano,then Kent, then the Boone brothers, with Aaron becoming eligible for 2B in a few more games, then you got a lot of question marks and not quite there's. If Bobby is acting right then you got one of the sure things.

SS Aurilla is looking something like a player. 25hrs is not out of his realm of ability along with 90ribs and a .290avg. For not having one of the big 4 good move. Caberra is a solid backup for you there.

3B Don't know your league rules but I would have Huff there instead, depending on how you guys conduct things. Aramis just plays on to crappy of a team for my taste.

OF-Solid as a rock with Bernie, great upside with Kearns,pure fantasy stud in Gold Club Jones, and a guy that looks like he is motivated in Alou.Crawford is nice sleeper material and will get you a lot of steals. Not the greatest OF in the world but should keep you in the money.

SP You are five deep. I am not a Perez fan, don't believe in him, same with Padilla.Once boston scraps that closer by crappity Pedro will be a super hoss again. Lilly has good stuff and will sneak in 14-17 wins this season. They let you get Mulder too???? Damn that is a coup. Wood is supposed to be money this year, and Moose is well, Moose. 5 big arms you got there.

RP you have a guy that I liked more than Gagne in Smoltzie. Don't know what is going to come of McDougal, and the other guys are cannon fodder.

Tried to be as fair as possible without knowing all the parameters of your league. You have grade A starting pitching, without even seeing the other rosters I bet it is the best in your league. With Smoltz you are automatically going to be in the middle of the pack for saves.

Once you find a slot for Crawford your speed cats(sb and 3b)should be up to snuff, and you have 30hr,100rib guys littered all over the place. Again you guys should really think of going fantasy points instead of roto, it seems like that is more you guys cup of tea. In my "real" league we use fantasy points because we like the aspect of all the numbers counting. Roto makes you have a more balanced team though. No matter the style you got a top tier team.
Causing chaos since 1968.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:09 am

The league has 14 offensive starters (C,C,1B,2B,SS,3B,RF,LF,CF,OF,OF,OF,IF,Util.) and you have 4 SP slots, 2 RP slots and 4 general pitcher slots. Since you can change lineups daily, I can use 8 starters.

What is really awesome is that I was able to get Lilly, Blalock, Crawford, Huff and MacDougal for free because they were never drafted or in the case of Huff because an idiot owner dumped him.

The scoring categories are:
Statistical Categories (Batters): Batter Games
At Bats
Runs
Hits
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
Walks
Strikeouts
Assists
Errors
Batting Average
Slugging Percentage

Statistical Categories (Pitchers): Pitching Appearances
Games Started
Innings Pitched
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Shutouts
Saves
Hits
Runs
Home Runs
Walks
Strikeouts
Earned Run Average
(Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched

I agree, I really hate having all those categories because it makes strategizing next to impossible. You are almost as well off having low batting average and lots of at bats and lots of innings pitched, no matter how low quality they are. Since SB is only 1/30 of the score, I think I am better off not using Crawford as a regular because he would probably have a lower average, hits, and power than other players could.

I can't use Huff at 3B, at least not yet. According to Yahoo position qualifiers, they player has to have played 15 games at a position the previous year or have played 15 games there this year. Huff played 14 games at 3B last year and has played 6 this year but he has been moved, at least temporarily to the outfield. Right now, he only qualifies at 1B, but that could change.

Thanks for the comments and I will go check your team now.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:15 am

The league has 14 offensive starters (C,C,1B,2B,SS,3B,RF,LF,CF,OF,OF,OF,IF,Util.) and you have 4 SP slots, 2 RP slots and 4 general pitcher slots. Since you can change lineups daily, I can use 8 starters.

What is really awesome is that I was able to get Lilly, Blalock, Crawford, Huff and MacDougal for free because they were never drafted or in the case of Huff because an idiot owner dumped him.

The scoring categories are:
Statistical Categories (Batters): Batter Games
At Bats
Runs
Hits
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
Walks
Strikeouts
Assists
Errors
Batting Average
Slugging Percentage

Statistical Categories (Pitchers): Pitching Appearances
Games Started
Innings Pitched
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Shutouts
Saves
Hits
Runs
Home Runs
Walks
Strikeouts
Earned Run Average
(Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched

I agree, I really hate having all those categories because it makes strategizing next to impossible. You are almost as well off having low batting average and lots of at bats and lots of innings pitched, no matter how low quality they are. Since SB is only 1/30 of the score, I think I am better off not using Crawford as a regular because he would probably have a lower average, hits, and power than other players could.

I can't use Huff at 3B, at least not yet. According to Yahoo position qualifiers, they player has to have played 15 games at a position the previous year or have played 15 games there this year. Huff played 14 games at 3B last year and has played 6 this year but he has been moved, at least temporarily to the outfield. Right now, he only qualifies at 1B, but that could change.

Thanks for the comments and I will go check your team now.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theisrealite » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:26 pm

Strategy wise it looks like you are best off going with power hitters. You should get an ass of rbi,hr,2b, and runs. Might lead the league in strikeouts but tweaking a little bit never hurt, and with that hoss pitching staff of yours you should have the pitching cats locked up.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:11 pm

Do you think this trade would be beneficial to my lineup:

I give Pedro and Alou in return for Wade Miller and Manny Ramirez?

Would the offensive boost warrant the downgrade in pitching.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:01 pm

The way I look at it is, Pedro is much better then Wade, vs Manny isnt that much better than Moises in my opinion. And I believe Moises will have a nice year in Chicago myself. I wouldnt do it, but thats just my opinion.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:22 am

How about this trade, which I proposed:

Pedro and Wilkerson for Magglio Ordonez and Giles. That would give me 2 top outfielders and still leave me with 4 strong starters.

I would have a starting outfield of Ordonez, Giles, Bernie Williams, Andruw Jones, Kearns and Floyd. However, I am unsure if it will be accepted.

If accepted, does that sound like adequate compensation for Pedro?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theisrealite » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:31 am

That first trade I would not mess with.

The second trade if he takes it would benefit you greatly. Maggs and Giles are very high round second picks, with Maggs a borderline 1st rounder.You can get a Wilkerson type if you search your wire hard enough.

Just remember there are only two guys you would start against Unit,one plays with him and the other one is on your team.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team