Bret Boone...where do I go from here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bret Boone...where do I go from here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:45 pm

Boone was dropped in my league and picked up by a guy, who then had to drop Juan Uribe. We said, "Uribe's doing great, what are you doing?" but he felt confident Boone would get it going. So far, Boone hasn't, and we've been giving him a lot of crap.

I don't think Boone can possibly be as bad as he's been, but Edgar Martinez is no longer the hitter he once was and the rest of the lineup isn't much either, so Boone's value has dropped considerably from pre-season.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:06 pm

He wont be with the Mariners past the deadline so all the Edgar is old, and Mariners lineup protection sucks talk wont matter. He will be traded to a team that plays in a more hitter friendly stadium, and the team will be in the hunt meaning. Being in a better lineup means he will settle down and quit trying to hit the ball 500 feet every time up. Right now he is trying WAY to hard! I look for him to put up very good numbers the 2nd half!
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:11 am

I just traded Soriano,Giambi for him. Of course I got Prior,M.Cabrera in it as well. But the point is that I wouldn't have gone so far to give up 2 of my 1st 3 picks if I didn't feel he'd turn it around. I don't know the stats on him from last year but if I remember correctly, he blew up 2nd half of the season. He hit 25HR I believe after the allstar break. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). I think if 2B is a weak position for you.. going after Boone and getting him cheap might not be a bad idea.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:27 am

Boone was huge first half last year actually, though he had a good second half as well
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby titanut » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:23 am

Waiting til the trading deadline seems like the right move. Gives him
time to turn it arround, until then, he's on my bench where he's
been for a while.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:38 am

Actually it was 2002 he stunk the first half, then blew up. Last year he was pretty solid til the whole team went into the tank Aug-Sept (make that Aug-June :-b).
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers