SP Mark Mulder (SP-Oak)
RP John Smoltz (RP-Atl)
RP Mike Williams (RP-Pit)
P Freddy Garcia (SP-Sea)
P A.J. Burnett (SP-Fla)
P Josh Beckett (SP-Fla)
Bench Byung-Hyun Kim (RP-Ari)
Bench Casey Fossum (SP,RP-Bos)

If I'm lucky my waiver request will be processed, and then I'll receive Hinske and drop Burks. Just gimme your thoughts on this improved team.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:07 pm

Lieberthal is a solid offensive catcher. Huff is fairly weak offensively for a first baseman and is also kind of risky. You generally want a guaranteed .300 hitter with 100 RBIs at the 1B position. Biggio should give you about average performance at 2B. Vizquel is a little weak for a starting fantasy shortstop, unless this is a 15+ team league. If you get Hinske, you will have a solid third baseman. You have three strong outfielders but I would be a little worried about having all three starting outfielders from the same team. That could make you more prone to streakiness or running into good opposing pitching, especially in a head to head league.

Your bench is good but I would recommend starting Olerud and not Huff at 1B, since he is far safer and more consistent. I think Kearns will have a breakout year this year. You have two great pitchers in Pedro and Mulder, and the best closer in baseball. Beyond these three, your pitching looks fairly weak although Kim may have a breakout year as a starter, he is still not proven. I would recommend trying to trade Vernon Wells for an upgrade at one of your offensive positions and picking up a sleeper closer, such as MacDougal off waivers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:14 pm

Look to upgrade Huff, and I think F. Garcia is overrated. The other starters on your team are Pedro and Mulder. Should be 40 wins between them barring injuries. Burnett and Beckett should get your 20-25 wins between them. Burnett is a scary pitcher though, has way too many walks, but he does a good job getting himself out of tough situations.

Your relievers should get 60-70 saves between them so you should be fine. I would look at picking up someone other than Fossum myself. Kim I would hold on to see what he does as a starter.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dubjay » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:27 pm

I agree w/putting Olerud in instead of Huff. Fossum and Kim are risky but have good upside. Garcia might worry me. He might be able to get you a more consistent, safer pitcher like Wolf or Moyer for that matter.
Dubjay

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby theisrealite » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:51 am

I prefer a slightly stronger upside for 2B and SS. Huff gets no love in this forum, but I think he will be allright.Your outfield is rock solid. If you want to improve your team I would package one of those stud OF along with Kim(I don't have a lot of faith in him starting)and whatever poistion you think you should shore up in a megadeal with the league weak link.
Causing chaos since 1968.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zoozam » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:10 am

i'll be the dark horse. i hate that outfield! those three essentially lose average for you many a week. atlanta is a retchid offense to depend on; esp. three guys in the middle of the order. i played someone w/shef and andrew last week and the dead nights killed them.

you're pitching is amazing. that's your strength. try and get a high avg. outfielder for one of the braves and a pitcher. what about ichiro or g. anderson?
zoozam
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team