Russ Ortiz to Yanks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Russ Ortiz to Yanks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:20 am

This deal is about as likely to happen as a trade involving John Smoltz. As long as Schuerholz believes the Braves are in the race, they won't make any kind of trades of that caliber....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Russ Ortiz to Yanks?

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:25 am

rmeesig wrote:I like him better than Garcia.

Garcia > Ortiz
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:31 am

Sledge wrote:This just demonstrates how spoiled Yankees fans are.

So me saying I want Kris Benson is me being spoiled? Okkk.
:-?

And Garcia does > Ortiz and by alot IMO.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:33 am

Ortiz is a better pitcher than he gets credit for. Real teams don't care about about WHIP, they care about wins. Ortiz is one of those guys who fantasy owners hate, but real teams covet.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:37 am

slomo007 wrote:Ortiz is a better pitcher than he gets credit for. Real teams don't care about about WHIP, they care about wins. Ortiz is one of those guys who fantasy owners hate, but real teams covet.

Ehhh.... So real owners don't care about how many batters a pitcher puts on base, nor how many hits he allows, but rather whether his surrounding team bails him out with a lot of runs?

Slomo, I often agree with you, but that's nuts. Did you think Ortiz was a Cy Young pitcher last year? :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Ortiz is a better pitcher than he gets credit for. Real teams don't care about about WHIP, they care about wins. Ortiz is one of those guys who fantasy owners hate, but real teams covet.

Ehhh.... So real owners don't care about how many batters a pitcher puts on base, nor how many hits he allows, but rather whether his surrounding team bails him out with a lot of runs?

Slomo, I often agree with you, but that's nuts. Did you think Ortiz was a Cy Young pitcher last year? :-b

Not at all....and I'm in no way saying he's a great pitcher, but he's better than Lieber by far. He's a solid pitcher, nothing spectacular, but he won't be the reason you lose the game most likely.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 am

I have to agree with Trans here for the reasons he gave above. Also, Ortiz has lost just as many games as he's won this year (6) and currently holds an ERA of over 4. He was a mediocre pitcher at best before he won 21 games last year, and now people see something in him that's not there. He's not horrible by any means, but I think he's slightly overrated because of that 20 win season. Last year his ERA hovered in the high 3's, closer to 4 I believe.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:03 am

Transmogrifier wrote:

Transmo! You know I like your fine judgment...but I think you're a little off on this one. Rus Ortiz did win 21 games last year.

If you look at Ortiz' career stats you will notice that his ERA has only been over 4 twice. In his rookie year he compiled a 4.99 ERA and in 2000 where his ERA was 5.01. Despite that 5.01ERA in 2000 he was still able to win 14 games. His WHIP was a desasterous 1.55. I agree on that. But he's gotten a lot better since then. Last year he had 3.81 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP, which isn't exactly what I call bad. His career ERA however is a not so beautiful 3.99.....

As for Freddy Garcia, he had a hard time getting his act together the last two years....In his six-year-career he has managed to post an ERA under four exactly three times. His WHIP however is significantly better than Ortiz'. I think we agree on that. In 2002 and 2003 Garcia posted ERA's of 4.39 and 4.51. While managing to win 28 of those games he also lost 24. And the sad thing about it is...Most of his games were at Safeco Field. A pitchers park. I'm not saying that PacBell is not a pitchers park, cause it definately is. But Ortiz managed to get 21 wins last year pitching in a park like Turner Field, which is not considered a pitchers park....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:05 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Also, Ortiz has lost just as many games as he's won this year (6)

Ok, look at it this way Garcia has lost more than he's won. (4-6) What now? 8-o
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Ortiz

Postby Willie3101 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:07 am

Russ ortiz is a solid pitcher who yankees fans should be overly to have a chance at getting. This being said i dont see the braves trading him to the yankees unless they are going to get a great deal.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers