Who is this Texas Announcer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this Texas Announcer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tmoney » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:52 am

I dont see the problem if an announcer is a homer. What is so bad about an announcer cheering openly for the team that is paying him and for the team that he watches almost every night? They do have separate broadcasts for the home and away teams, so why do they have to take a neutral opinion? And the reason why Hawk Harrelson speaks so strongly about the White Sox is because he loves baseball and he loves the White Sox. Of course he is going to be upset when the White Sox are losing. I guess some people would rather listen to Chip Carrey babble on about how 'beautiful' everything is and basically talk about everything but baseball for the entire game. IMO, Chip is the worst announcer I have ever heard. He couldnt care less if the Cubs win or lose, just as long and he gets to cuddle next to Steve Stone at night. Anyways, I would rather have my announcer express the same emotions that I am feeling during the game.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:55 am

santo is so bad, he's hilarious. i can listen to that guy forever because he's so terrible. once, i heard him talk about throwing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches across the water from one boat to another. a couple years ago, he did a 20 minute monologue about cheesecake, completely foregoing any play-by-play activity.

the white sox guys are just out and out AWFUL. not even funny. just plain horrid.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:19 pm

If a guy is slightly rooting for his home team, I can put up with that but when it's out and out rooting against the other guys, and questioning every call that goes against the home team, it gets old quick. I think there should be some objectivity there. If a pitcher on the opposing team gets out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam, you can praise him for that.

Of course, the official scorekeeping is even more ridiculous than the announcing. Basically, calling a play a hit or an error depends on if it's a home team batter at the plate or not.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:23 pm

Jesus, give Santo a break. Hes had a bypass and 2 leg amputations. You'd be a little disoriented too. I just wish they could stay on the game. I have no problem with homers being announcers. As long as WGN gets someone besides Chip Carey.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GameOn » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:24 pm

Actually Josh Lewin is the play by play guy and he calls the homers. Tom Grieve is color commentary. I like both of them
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pedro » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:32 pm

The biggest homer is the Phillies announcer, Kalas.

Also if you ever watch the post game crap on Comcast one of the guys ( I have no clue what his name is ) makes up 50 excuses every time the Phillies lose. It's ridiculous.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Paulie Walnuts » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:56 pm

Madison wrote:I'd take the Rangers announcers over the White Sox announcers anyday. Lol. :-D

Can you put that on the boooooard?

YES! :-/

Sorry. :*)
Paulie Walnuts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby crapshooter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:07 pm

Has everyone already forgotten that Tom Grieve was General Manager of the Rangers for years or is everyone just too young to know?
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benjapage » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:08 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Jesus, give Santo a break. Hes had a bypass and 2 leg amputations. You'd be a little disoriented too. I just wish they could stay on the game. I have no problem with homers being announcers. As long as WGN gets someone besides Chip Carey.

i'm not busting santo's balls. my message clearly expresses my affection for his style. he's not a very good announcer, but he's an incredible entertainer. i'm not even a cubs fan, but when i'm in the chicago area, i always pray for cubs' games. he's so entertaining, especially when things start going bad for the cubs. "Oah...! Can you believe that...? Wow." and you have no idea what he's talking about, but it's always hilarious. three cheers for santo! ;-D ;-D ;-D

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers