Who is this Texas Announcer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this Texas Announcer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is this Texas Announcer?

Postby shortsavage » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:28 pm

I am watching the Texas vs. Seattle game on mlb tv right now and I cannot believe what a homer Texas' play by play guy is. Who is he and is he the Ranger's official cheer leader?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crip » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:18 pm

Its Tom Grieve
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:42 am

Yes, Ben Grieve's father. I like him, but hes been there a while and i am used to him. He is easily excited by Rangers winning...but you have to remember that Texas has never won a playoff series (no Texas team has ever won a playoff series for that matter), so being in first place even by one game in June is pretty exciting.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:44 am

Talk about homer announcers, I can no longer stand watching Joe Buck and Al Hrabosky doing Cardinal games. It's just too damn annoying.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:47 am

I'd take the Rangers announcers over the White Sox announcers anyday. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:50 am

John Bonzo wrote:Yes, Ben Grieve's father. I like him, but hes been there a while and i am used to him. He is easily excited by Rangers winning...but you have to remember that Texas has never won a playoff series (no Texas team has ever won a playoff series for that matter), so being in first place even by one game in June is pretty exciting.

Didn't the Stars win the Stanley cup in '99? Or were you just referring to baseball? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chinch sacs » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:26 am

Madison wrote:
John Bonzo wrote:Yes, Ben Grieve's father. I like him, but hes been there a while and i am used to him. He is easily excited by Rangers winning...but you have to remember that Texas has never won a playoff series (no Texas team has ever won a playoff series for that matter), so being in first place even by one game in June is pretty exciting.

Didn't the Stars win the Stanley cup in '99? Or were you just referring to baseball? :-?

And that little team called the Cowboys?
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:31 am

chinch sacs wrote:
Madison wrote:

And that little team called the Cowboys?

Who? :-?

Oh those guys that can't stay out of jail? Yeah, I guess we have to include them too. John did mention a playoff "series" and football is just one game, so can't we leave the convicts out of it?

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby GiantFan666 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:46 am

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything... but I think the worst Homer announcer I have ever heard has got to be Ron Santos for the Cubs... I live in Omaha and get radio broadcasts for the Cubs,Royals, and Twins. I know he is a former Cub and all and I'm not trying to upset all the Cubs faithful fans but my God!!!! he is the absolute worst homer I have ever heard in any sport.... If I never heard him groan when someone scored against the cubs again it would be too soon!!!! I swear everytime someone scores a run against them he busts out with " (insert cub pitcher name here) wishes he had that pitch back!"
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynoSandberg » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:07 am

You can't have a homer thread without mentioning White Sox announcer Hawk Harrelson. Good Lord. Part of his schtick is to refer to the opposing teams as the "Bad Guys". Sometimes the Sox announcers don't say anything when the opposing team hits a homer. It's so annoying, it starts to get humorous over time

I think there's 2 categories of "Homers", negative and positive. Positive Homers get excited when there team succeeds, but gives credit to the opposing team and compliments them when deserved, Negative Homers generally don't give any credit to the opposing team, rarely making good comments about the opposing team. White Sox Harrelson and Card's Hrabosky strike me as "Negative Homers".
Ryan ExpressIncognitoA Helping Head
RynoSandberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers