Jason Kendall - Going To The Rockies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Kendall - Going To The Rockies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Kendall - Going To The Rockies?

Postby Chicago » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:29 am

Jason Kendall has always been one of my favorite players, how often has there been a catcher who steals bases? Now that there are rumors of him going to the Rockies, I wonder what this would mean for his game. His average would probably improve, but he's not much of a power hitter to take advantage of the ballpark, and I wonder if he'd get the sign to steal as much.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bliz34 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:33 pm

:-t

I'M SORRY TO BE THE TO TELL YOU THIS BUT KENDALL IS ON HIS WAY OUT OF THE GAME. HE'S NEVER BEEN THE SAME SINCE HIS INJURY AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HIS IN PITT, COLORADO, OR ANYWHERE HIS STATS WILL DIMINISH
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:19 pm

Well, his stats this season aren't that shabby - he's still the 4th best catcher in the NL with 5x5 scoring - and a move to Coors would certainly help, even if it would mean no longer batting leadoff.

The rumored deal actually seems to make quite a bit of sense: the Neagle experiment hasn't worked out well for the Rockies, and the Pirates are looking at House as their long-term catcher. This might be a win-win situation, both in the real game and for fantasy owners.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:20 pm

Not batting at the top of the order might take away some of Kendall's value. I disagree that he's "on his way out", he's on pace for 22 SB's and a .290 avg, how many other catchers out there are on pace to do this? Only time will tell if he can repeat his .320 14 hr, 22 SB 2000 season, but the man is only 28, none of his injuries have had anything to do with his knees, and he's a great defensive catcher. In other words, he's not going anywhere except maybe to another team to be their every day catcher.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dannahann » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:29 pm

I agree, Kendall's solid now, getting better each month, and playing for Colorado would only help his value. If traded there he won't hit leadoff but my guess is he might even bat #2. How sweet would that be, Pierre on base and Walker and Helton looming. Kendall would probably hit around .325 in that situation. Just think about the no talent scrubs like Petrick, Mayne, and Estellela who were viable fantasy options ONLY BECAUSE the caught there. Kendall is so much more talented. Kendall (and Lieberthal) are my catchers in the league I care most about, and I've got my fingers crossed that this rumor comes true!!!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Bliz34 » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:42 am

!+)

Damn, I feel I should apologize. Could I be off-based with my stance on Kendall? Looks that way... Truth is it's a persoanl dislike I have for Kendall (my college roommate is from Pitt). Maybe he's not as bad as I'd hoped. My bad
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:01 am

Why should you apologize? B-) Nothing wrong with having a different opinion (even under roommate influence :-D ); the possibility that Kendall's skills are declining is certainly something that his owners should at least consider... catchers are often tough to figure out, even if Kendall isn't at the age yet where you'd expect his level of play to drop significantly. I believe he has both the talent and the character (thinking bad to various statements he has made after poor performances - even if Pittsburgh isn't your favorite city, you have to admire Kendall's attitude) to keep playing at a very high level, but that's by no means a sure thing.

The more opinions there are on this board, the better we'll be able to look at all the factors involved in making decisions...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers