Do we have a shot at the playoffs this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Do we have a shot at the playoffs this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do we have a shot at the playoffs this year?

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:12 pm

I know, it seems silly. But I've got my hopes up. Glavine has been fantastic and some of the others are finally coming around. David Wright could come up and act as this years Cabrera/Lackey/whoever.

Maybe it's farfetched, but if the Phils don't take control of this division, it's ours for the taking.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:16 am

I haven't been this hopeful in a long while.

The worry I have is that we keep getting our noses above 500, and then go on a losing streak and have to battle our way back.
If we can stay above 500 until the All-Star break, then I'll start to believe we can go all the way!!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Postby DK » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:55 pm

Can you imagine us and the red-hot D-Rays in the World Series? 8o that would be fantastic.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby chris8 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:59 pm

chris8 wrote:The worry I have is that we keep getting our noses above 500, and then go on a losing streak and have to battle our way back.

See what I mean? Absolutely typical. :-[ Above 500 and immediately lose our next two games including this thanks to a basic flyball error from Cameron :-t
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:26 pm

These last two games were a bitch but from an optimistic perspective we should have swept the series. If Kaz doesn't screw up on the bases we win game #2 and if Cameron doesn't lose that ball in the sun we probably win game #3.

That's OK because we won't remember this series after we finish the sweep at the Zoo! :-D

Mets World Series Champions in 2004! ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:39 pm

OK 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:41 pm

Mets sweep and Glavine pitched ok after getting rocked vs the Phils
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:13 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Mets sweep and Glavine pitched ok after getting rocked vs the Phils

That was a great sign. He wasn't getting the inside corner from the ump and after two innings of floundering he finds a way to get the job done. Last year when this stuff happened he would just fall apart.

If Reyes doesn't get doubled up on the Kaz liner he might have scored on the subsequent Piazza single. Then we have a tie game and who knows what happens next.

Let's Go Mets!
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby chris8 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Have to say I am really encouraged by the last few games.

Yesterday aside, we're winning tight games.
Hidalgo is on fire! And seems to have sparked off the rest!

And we swept the Yankees! :-D

Next couple of weeks are a major test now...can we stay in touch against our main divisional rivals...?
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:10 pm

I think it's going to be pretty tough for the Mets. Coming into this season the goal was just to get a respectable team, something they haven't had since 2000. Now that they are a .500 team, the expectations of the fans and front office go up. It's a big difference between being a .500 team and a legitimate contender.

Now losing 2 out of 3 or getting swept isn't acceptable to the fan base and front office. Since they have been a decent .500 team, they are going to be expected to go into a city like Philly or Florida and take 2 out of 3. It's going to be a tough challenge to see how they handle the extra pressure now, but if they want to make the playoffs, they are in the right division.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to New York Mets