Your thoughts on this deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your thoughts on this deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your thoughts on this deal?

Postby dannahann » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:38 pm

I've been offered Vlad and Koskie for Floyd and Glaus. 12 team weekly H2H points league so no ongoing categories to worry about.
Single, Walk, Run, RBI = 1 point each
Double and Steal = 2 pts
Triple = 3 pts
HR = 4 pts.
As you can see HRs are the most valuable, anywhere 6 to 9 points depending on # of RBI. That's the only thing keeping me from accepting. Glaus could heat up and hit 30+ HRs in the 2nd half and Floyd's no slouch either. Normally, I never hesitate if I'm getting the best player (Vlad) in a deal, but in this situation I'm not sure? Any thoughts?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:35 pm

That's an extremely interesting offer... You're right, it isn't as obvious as it seems at first glance. This could truly go either way.

I think I'd be inclined to accept the offer and go with Vlad and Koskie, but only because I'm a bit worried about Floyd being traded to the Expos. He might profit from playing with Vlad & Co., but playing on artificial turf might hurt him even more.

I'm still not 100% sure, but the more I think about this, the better the deal looks for you... ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:26 pm

I too would seriously consider this trade. Floyd is likely to be a second half slumper. So you'll potentially from anywhere a marginal to huge improvement from Floyd to Vlad the Impaler.

The part of the deal that makes me wince is Glaus for Koskie, Koskie has had his injuries during the first half, so his 8 HR's nand 7 SB's might be decieving. Let's split last year's stats in half and this is what you'll get if they repeat their performances:

2nd half
Glaus: 20 Hrs 5 SB
Koskie:13 Hrs 11 SBs

I'd go with the trade because Koskie is a better overall hitter, and his other hits will lessen the gap between the two, and you'll end up with more fantasy points with Vlad and Koskie then Glaus and Floyd.

Accept it!
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dannahann » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:13 pm

Thanks as always,
The trade (a slightly sweeter version) is pending ;-D. As this was his first offer, I countered and he accepted the sweeter (for me) deal. I gave Glaus/Floyd/Milton and will get Koskie/Vlad/Leiter. Again thanks for the help.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Arlo » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:05 am

Wow - that's even better! Nice! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:14 pm

Well, Floyd did wind up going to Montreal (although the precise trade scenario, with Dempster being dealt to the Reds, was a bit of a surprise), so that's one more reason to feel good about the deal you made. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannahann » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:27 am

Agreed, just Floyd's presence behind him should help Vlad see better pitches (not that he really needs a good pitch or always waits for one) :-b Not a great move for Floyd even though I think he's in a better lineup, it's just that I'm not sure how durable he'll be back on turf. What does the addition of Floyd do to Tatis's value?? He's gotta move down?? I also own Nando in that league and had often been starting him over Glaus (dictated by matchups) during Troy's extended cold streak. Now with Koskie on board (looking like he's finally heating up) do I still use/keep Tatis, considering Floyd's on board??
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:52 am

The trade shouldn't hurt Tatis' value too much, but Koskie is tough competition. Sounds like you'll have to keep playing matchups for now while waiting to see how this develops...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers