Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rivera = Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:25 am

HOOTIE wrote:Win Shares

Vlad 15
Arod 15
Manny 14

Do they break down Shares by Hitting and Fielding ones? I'd like to see that. I'm sure thats what has A-Rod up there with two players that have hit better than him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:Update time,

OPS

Manny 1.088
Vlad 1.015
Arod .912

Runs Created

Manny 69
Vlad 68
Arod 60

RC/27

Manny 9.50
Vlad 8.79
Arod 7.31

Win Shares

Vlad 15
Arod 15
Manny 14

Does anyone even look at those stats when calculating who the MVP is though? I don't even know what half of those things are. RBIs, Homers, Average and Runs are much more easy to understand. ;-D

I'm sure there are a few. I know Seattle's beat writer, and i have thrown those numbers at him. I'm not sure what criteria he uses though. Who cares how the mvp comes out? It's a subjective vote. What those stats above do is get a better picture who created what, and what value they have. Did anyone see ESPN toinght. Not a bad piece on the young SABR gms breaking down the old school ways.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:33 am

AL Cy Young won't be Rivera, he's got to be a lot better than this to win it. Just because a closer won it in the NL last year doen't mean that the best closer in the league has even a snowball's chance in hell of winning it.

First of all, Gagne was lucky that RJ, Schilling, Schmidt, and Prior all missed isgnificant time. Those were probably the 4 best pitchers in the NL last year. On top of that, he had the most dominant season of any relief pitcher since the one inning closer became standard. To put it briefly, a lot of planets had to be aligned for Gagne to win the CY. And Rivera is the snowball ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:34 am

LBJackal wrote:AL Cy Young won't be Rivera, he's got to be a lot better than this to win it. Just because a closer won it in the NL last year doen't mean that the best closer in the league has even a snowball's chance in hell of winning it.

First of all, Gagne was lucky that RJ, Schilling, Schmidt, and Prior all missed isgnificant time. Those were probably the 4 best pitchers in the NL last year. On top of that, he had the most dominant season of any relief pitcher since the one inning closer became standard. To put it briefly, a lot of planets had to be aligned for Gagne to win the CY. And Rivera is the snowball ;-)

I didn't mean for the season. I meant is he the Cy Young right NOW. Since no pitcher has emerged as a dominating force in the AL, as Schmidt, Randy and Zambrano have in the NL, might he be the Cy Young right now. Not will he be at the end of the year.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:39 am

blankman wrote:

Vlad 15
Arod 15
Manny 14

Do they break down Shares by Hitting and Fielding ones? I'd like to see that. I'm sure thats what has A-Rod up there with two players that have hit better than him.

Yes, they add them both together to get a total. Arod is the best fielder of the 3, and some positions carry more weight then others. Hitting is the primary factor, but fielding can sway a close tally.

At any rate, 1 win share difference is peanuts.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:43 am

Right now, Mulder has been too good to justify giving the award to Rivera. 9 wins with that bullpen, a 2.76 ERA and 1.11 WHIP? I don't see Rivera winning it if the season ended now, and I'm sure he'll blow a few saves and his ERA/WHIP will rise by seasons end (nothing against him, it's just not reasonable to expect him to remain at this level).

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:45 am

HOOTIE wrote:
blankman wrote:

Vlad 15
Arod 15
Manny 14

Yes, they add them both together to get a total. Arod is the best fielder of the 3, and some positions carry more weight then others. Hitting is the primary factor, but fielding can sway a close tally.

At any rate, 1 win share difference is peanuts.

Just curious, and I know in real life you can't get partial wins (at least not in baseball) but can win shares be calculated using decimals? With such small numbers it doesn't seem right to only use whole numbers.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:06 am

LBJackal wrote:Just curious, and I know in real life you can't get partial wins (at least not in baseball) but can win shares be calculated using decimals? With such small numbers it doesn't seem right to only use whole numbers.

Each win share actually is a partial win ( 1/3 of a win) but yes, the formula could be changed to generate decimal win shares. But if you were going to do that it would just be easier (and still more accurate) to just use linear weights. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Spiegs1106 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:09 am

I dont think Rivera had a chance with the way some or the starters are pitching...like: Schillind and Mulder
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers