[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include(./includes/trivia_unanswer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/trivia_unanswer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')
some commonalaties.... (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

some commonalaties.... (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

some commonalaties.... (answered)

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:07 am

The '81 Dodgers and '84 Tigers both won the World Series. What two things did they both have in common in achieving that accomplishment (including the years 1910 through 1989)?
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:07 am

Only two WS winners without a Hall of Famer on the Roster. (with all players on the roster are HoF eligible)
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Part way there

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:19 am

That is one of the two. I am looking for one more piece of information....
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:58 am

They each last won a WS title 16 years prior to the one in the 80's?

Dodgers (1981 and 1965)
Tigers (1984 and 1968)

If this isn't it, is it related to the "no HoF's"?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Wow

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:37 am

Andy - I hadn't even thought of that connection, but it isn't the one I am looking for.

I'm not sure how to answer your question. One of the answers is indeed that neither team had any HOF players. But there is a second commonality (perhaps third based on your additional answer). I think you should get credit for two good answers though.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:47 am

Ok, I think I got it, No player in the Hall but both had their manager inducted into the Hall.

Tom Lasorda (1997) and Sparky Anderson (2000)<br><br><span class=gensmall>Accepted as answer by ukrneal on Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:52 am EST.</span>

Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Indeed

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:04 am

They are the only teams during that period who had no hall of famer players, but a hall of famer manager. Amazing, isn't it, that all the other teams in that period had at least one HOF player on the team.

This may change with the 1990's teams. The 1990 Reds have Larkin still playing (is he really HOF material?) hence the reason I cut it off at 1989, but they are a potential candidate to join this list. The 97 Marlins could also become a candidate, but there's still too many years to go to be sure about that. The same with the '96 Yankees (though I think one of them will eventually be elected to the HOF).

Sorry for not really answering your question, but I didn't want to prejudice you in any direction.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Trivia Time Trial