Chipper for Chavez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper for Chavez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper for Chavez

Postby Cubs Fan » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:17 pm

Chipper Jones qualifies as a 3B in my league and I am using him as such. I actually recently picked him up in a trade for Glaus. I've been thinking that Chipper's poor home run total is a fluke, but now I'm not so sure. Another manager in my league has Chavez and I know that Chavez is a big time second half performer historically. I've looked up Chipper's second half splits and they haven't been too shabby either.

Is Chipper's power outage for real? Should I offer Chipper for Chavez? Was I foolish to trade Glaus for Chipper in the first place? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Cubs Fan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

trade him...

Postby davisdad » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:04 am

Is this a keeper league? If so, I'd consider trying to get Chavez. I know Chipper won't be eligible at 3B next year in my league, and his numbers are good as a OF, but certainly not in the "keeper" category. Chavez has huge upside, and I've heard nothing to indicate any plans by Art Howe to move him to another position. If you're not in a keeper league, I'd recommend staying with Chipper...that seems like more of a lateral move to me, rather than a significant improvement. Just my thinking....
davisdad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:46 pm

Chipper's poor season remains a mystery. It's possible that he'll pick it up in the second half, but right now, Chavez seems like the safer option, even in a non-keeper league.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby papasmurf » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:35 pm

right now, the only reason i would trade chavez for chipper would be in a package deal in which i am trying to upgrade at another position. my thinking is that, as has already been mentioned, chavez and chipper seems to be more of a lateral move but chavez' value may be a little higher right now. it is well documented that chavez is a second-half monster and most fantasy players are privy to that info.
papasmurf

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Themetties » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:42 pm

i have chavez too. and he's amazing, but why is he in this horrible slump?? or am i the only one noticing this
Themetties
Trivia Month Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:53 pm

I don't have any reasonable explanation for Chavez' slump; it certainly isn't the pitching he's been facing. The only thing I've noticed is that he's looked a bit impatient at times, but that's just an impression. Presumably, it's just one of those spells that all players go through at some point.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers