farthest hit hr ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

farthest hit hr ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby proninja » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:50 pm

thehat wrote:
Pacman wrote:Red Sox lore has Jim Rice back in the late 70s hitting one onto the Mass Turnpike (over the Green Monster and Landsdown Street beyond) into the back of an open-bed truck. The driver discovered the ball when he was unloading his cargo in Indiana -- some 800 miles away.

Lots of legends about Rice, who was a GREAT power hitter in his prime. He's said to have broken a bat once by CHECKING his swing.

Rice actually broke his bat twice that I know of on check swings. Here's one even more unreal. This happened on the first tee at Kirkbrae Country Club in Lincoln, RI, and I saw it as I was in the group behind Rice waiting to get started. He checked his golf swing and the broke the club without ever making contact with anything. It looked like a strand of spaghetti. Rice has the biggest forearms I've ever seen, so I guess that explains it.

Actually, that's not as impressive as one would think. The only reason I know is because I did it when I was about 18.
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reznorsboy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Last month I was in Cincinatti watching BP and Willy Mo hit a blast on to the roof of the building in the batters eye at Great American Ballpark. I know it was BP but it was still a monster blast. ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:33 pm

superfly wrote:Furthest homer I've witnessed personally is Dunn's blast into the Ohio River off Lima, probably around 550 feet.

That one was a 535 ft blast.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby statsman88 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:23 pm

I don't see anything about Ruth calling his shot? I'm guessin that one went a ways. The farthest one I've ever personally seen was one Manny hit in Boston a few years ago off of Chad Bradford (Who was playing for Oakland) on an 0-2 Count. It hit the Top of that Huge Coke Bottle that is standing on a tower over the Green Monster.

The Bo Jackson Shot that guy was talking about earlier, I think that was in KC, not Seattle, i'm not 100% on that though.
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby LiveForever » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:50 pm

I cant believe that no one has mentioned Bond's blast in the World Series. Ya he did steroids but come on that has to be the most impressive since it was in a real meaningful game.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 pm

Cole Hamels hit one 700 feet with his mind
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert