farthest hit hr ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

farthest hit hr ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:46 pm

Mantle's blast of 565 feet is the official record. I don't know where some of these other totals are coming from? The 2nd longest wasn't long ago, McGwire off RJ in the Kingdome. I don't remember the ditance, although it was around 545 feet.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby JuiceMonkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:28 pm

Los Angeles Cubs wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
JuiceMonkey wrote:I saw Barry hit one half way up the third deck in Yankee Stadium. Unreal. He got a standing O, too. I must admit, you guys are really good fans.

I also saw Piazza hit one off the top of the left field porch into the parking lot in Chavez Ravine. A monster shot. But only some of you are good fans, which, I also must admit, prob includes the Dodger fans in here.

Don't pick on Dodgers fans...we'll shoot you dead in the parking lot of our own stadium.

8-o

j/k

It was a Giant fan who shot the Dodger fan, bud

beltrans_boy is right... Two Dodger fans shot a SF fan. This is a great rivalry but not quite that important.

Too bad the ball Piazza hit out into that parking lot didnt hit one of these dudes in the head.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra
JuiceMonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:56 pm

Pacman wrote:Red Sox lore has Jim Rice back in the late 70s hitting one onto the Mass Turnpike (over the Green Monster and Landsdown Street beyond) into the back of an open-bed truck. The driver discovered the ball when he was unloading his cargo in Indiana -- some 800 miles away.

Lots of legends about Rice, who was a GREAT power hitter in his prime. He's said to have broken a bat once by CHECKING his swing.

Rice actually broke his bat twice that I know of on check swings. Here's one even more unreal. This happened on the first tee at Kirkbrae Country Club in Lincoln, RI, and I saw it as I was in the group behind Rice waiting to get started. He checked his golf swing and the broke the club without ever making contact with anything. It looked like a strand of spaghetti. Rice has the biggest forearms I've ever seen, so I guess that explains it.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

what i know

Postby davestevenson31 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:59 am

i heard ted williams hit one into a car of a moving train lol... that one technically went the longest lol... but in all seriousness i remember seeing mantle hitting one that nearly went OUT of yankees stadium.
TREVOR HOFFMAN IS THE MOST UNDERRATED PITCHER EVER. come on he pitches for the padres. hardly anyone outside of california ever gets to see him pitch, even on tv.

go indians! beat the white sox!
davestevenson31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby matmat » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:55 am

come on... we all know it's 'roids related, right? O:-) :-P
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

LOL

Postby davestevenson31 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:27 am

yeah ted williams and mickey mantle totally did steroids. so did babe ruth (look at his BULGING GIGANTIC biceps and muscular build!)

note the extreme sarcasm.

and mantle's homerun is the longest one i've found so far and i've been checkin for about 30 minutes.
TREVOR HOFFMAN IS THE MOST UNDERRATED PITCHER EVER. come on he pitches for the padres. hardly anyone outside of california ever gets to see him pitch, even on tv.

davestevenson31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: LOL

Postby matmat » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:29 pm

davestevenson31 wrote:yeah ted williams and mickey mantle totally did steroids. so did babe ruth (look at his BULGING GIGANTIC biceps and muscular build!)

of course they did. did alex sanchez have bulging muscles? hmmm... how about raffy? eh? it was all steroids. Ruth injected himself with HGH, as did mantle and maris and robinson.. .all of them. all the time. it was all roids. there was no natural ability involved. None.

*sigh*...

hope someone has their -sarcasm-meter- on this time...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

i knew it all along

Postby davestevenson31 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:38 pm

yeah i was thinking ruth did steroids... his body size being comparable to michael moore's is what gave it away.

i hope you all know whether this is sarcasm or not.

and everyone who has gotten caught for steroids this year is very small and you would never suspect them. gosh that's funny... alex sanchez did steroids. he should sue the steroid company, cause i don't think they worked on him lol.

davestevenson31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby da1chipo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:26 pm

crip wrote:Cecil Fielder hit the longest homer I ever saw when he launched one completely OUT of the old Milwaukee Brewer stadium..I think it was called county field or something like that....It was a shot

The second longest one I saw was by Mark McGwire in the old Tiger stadium

And Don't forget the one Reggie Jackson hit in the allstar game in Detroit....I think it landed on the roof

I heard someone (not sure who it is, might have been him) hit one out there that landed in a truck which drove to Minnesota. I think that might be the record ;-D (without touching someone, otherwise I suppose you could include the entire ball's life).
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby superfly » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:26 pm

Furthest homer I've witnessed personally is Dunn's blast into the Ohio River off Lima, probably around 550 feet.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History