What do you think of my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

What do you think of my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of my team

Postby theisrealite » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:40 pm

Fantasy Points. 12 team super fan league. 1200ip,302ap max,7 pitcher can start. 1620 game limit for poistion players, 11 poistions including 2 utl.

C Ramon Hernandez

1B Josh Phelps

2B Alfonso Soriano

SS Miguel Tejada

3B Aubrey Huff

OF Jay Payton

OF Larry Walker

OF Preston Wilson

SS Reser Jose Hernandez

OF Reser Richard Hidalgo

OF Reser Marlon Byrd

3B Reser Joe Crede

OF Reser Ken Griffey Jr. (DL)

1B Reser Nick Johnson

OF Reser Kenny Lofton

1B Reser Mo Vaughn

Pitchers

RP Matt Anderson

SP Mark Buehrle

SP David Cone

SP Runelvys Hernandez

SP Ted Lilly

RP Matt Mantei

SP Pedro Martinez

RP Johan Santana

SP Jason Schmidt
Causing chaos since 1968.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:36 am

Catcher: Hernandez is fairly weak to have for a 12 team league, as he is rated at best in the top 15 catchers. That being said, catchers are so inherently injury prone that I have never liked going for a Piazza or Kendall at that position. As long as they can hit around .260, with some power, that's fine.

First base: I would say this is your weakest position. Given the multitude of strong first baseman, I wouldn't accept less than .300 and 100 RBIs at that position.

Middle infield: You have an absolutely killer middle infield, with the top 2B and the second or third best shortstop available. This makes up to a great deal for weakness at catcher and first.

Third base: The stat projections I have seen pit Huff as a .300 hitter and 100 RBI man. I am not totally convinced of that, given his inexperience, but even if he only does .280 and 70 RBI, that should be excellent for a weak position.

Outfield: If Walker can stay healthy, he is good as gold, especially playing at Coors. Wilson is another solid, top 25 outfielder, with the Coors factor making him even more valuable. I am not so sold on Payton and I would be a little nervous about having all my outfielders on the same team in case the team goes into a slump or something, but otherwise you have a very servicable OF.

You have Pedro who is looking absolutely dominant so far and this should continue. Buerhle is another excellent #2 pitcher, a better bet than Colon on the Sox IMO. Schmidt is a perfect #3 pitcher, and pitching in such a pitching friendly park will help out even if he does struggle. Lilly and Hernandez are two sleepers that I think could go either way. Cone would make me very nervous and I think he will eventually break down either do to ineffectiveness or injury.

Your bullpen is a little shaky. Mantei is another guy that just makes me nervous as a closer and could be single handedly responsible for preventing RJ and Schilling from getting 20 wins. If Santana ever finds his way back into the rotation, you might have another killer sleeper.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theisrealite » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:46 am

Thanx for the eval, always great to hear a second opinion. 1st might not be as weak as you think, I got Phelps pegged to be a 30hr,100rbi guy, and he came with only an 11th round pick. That bullpen is without a doubt the worst in the league. However I think I made up for it with the potential to have 30hrs and 1st,2nd,SS, and 3rd.Currently in first right now, but that stuff doesn't count until after 4 weeks have passed IMO. Again thanks for the eval.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:07 pm

The stat projections I have seen have Phelps getting 30 HR and 100 RBIs but also predict him to only hit around .260. My opinion is that .260 is way too low of an average for any of your starters to be hitting, except maybe at catcher. Your league must have less stringent position qualifiers than mine because right now in mine, Phelps does not qualify for 1B and Huff does not qualify for 3B.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:31 pm

We are using a crappy service called Sandbox. Scambox should be the name of the place. It was the best free service in the land, and then it went south. Its our last year of using them. We like the fantasy point aspect of it and the daily roster adjustments, but other than that it is crap.

Huff was not supposed to get his 3B tag until his 15th game, don't know why they did that. I usually have him in UTL anyway with Crede at 3B. Phelps basically had no poistion so they slotted him as a one bagger. Sure would have loved him as a catcher. Our league does not use a DH.

Again thanks for the input. I posted a link to the site in our league so expect some members from my crew, The Brotherhood of the Dirty Dogs, to be posting here shortly. Great site, we use the PHHBC? or whatever this community is called interface also, so using this site is like a second home, everything is just about the same.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby theisrealite » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:10 pm

That was interesting, I posted at work and it came out as a guest.
theisrealite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:08 pm

I dont think Huff or Phelps are going to be as good as you think. And last I heard Huff is going to the OF, wont get enough starts in my league to a 3b.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team