Fantasy Football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy Football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Football

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:09 pm

Ok i just signed up for the Fantasy Football Cafe and i have never played fantasy football and i would like to know how it is different than Fantasy Baseball. I have watched american football for a lot of my life and i would just like to know the basics like

1. how many positions?
2. what type of leagues are they're- ex h2h, roto?
3. how many cats?
4. what are they?
5. if you were doing a live draft what posotion would you pick first?
6. what positons are shallower than others?
7. what are you're top 10 picks as of right now
8. anything else you would like to tell or explain to me

Thanks in Advance,
Irish

I know american football pretty well like the penalties, players, teams, and the other basics like that, just thought you might wanna know
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:44 pm

I'm a veteran of fantasy baseball but last year was my first year of fantasy football. Just so you know there's a Fantasy Football Cafe and you'll probably get more responses over there.

1. There are 11 men per team on the field at a given time but positions are not as easily defined. But for the simplicity of fantasy you normally use QB - Quarter Back, RB - Running Back, WR - Wide Receiver, TE - Tight End, PK - Place Kicker. If you use IDP (Individual Defensive Positions) DL - Defensive Linemen, DB - Defensive Backs (Corner Backs and Safeties) and LB - Linebackers.

2. There are some Roto leagues but most leagues I have seen are H2H point style leagues. I'm sure there are category leagues but they don't seem to be very popular.

3. Not really cats per se but your players are judged by Passing Yards, Passing Touchdowns, Interceptions, Rushing Yards, Rushing Touchdowns, Receiving Yards, Receiving Touchdowns and Fumbles. It gets more complicated than this but that covers a basic league (which also includes kicking and team defense).

4. Passing yards are accrued when the QB successfully passes the ball to a receiver or back. Receiving yards are accrued by the player who catches it and running yards are accrued when the ball is handed off to the running back and he makes forward progress. A touchdown is a score when they cross the line with the ball (Rushing TD) or cross the goal line and then catch the ball (Receiving TD). It's more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.

5. Unless you're playing in a strange league you will almost always pick a Running Back in the first round. There are some other position players (Daunte Culpepper - QB, Randy Moss - WR for example) that are sometimes drafted late first round.

6. If you play with TE as a seperate position from WR then it is the shallowest position but this doesn't neccesarily mean you would draft it higher. It's not as equal as it is in FB; not all positions get equal opportunity to score points.

7. My opinion:

1 RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD
2 RB Priest Holmes, KC
3 RB Deuce McAllister, NO
4 RB Ahman Green, GB
5 RB Jamal Lewis, Bal
6 RB Clinton Portis, Was
7 RB Shaun Alexander, Sea
8 RB Edgerrin James, Ind
9 RB Ricky Williams, Mia
10 WR Randy Moss, Min

Again check out the FBC you'll get a better range of opinions.

8. No that covers it. I think. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Fantasy Football

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:45 pm

irishdude103 wrote:1. how many positions?
2. what type of leagues are they're- ex h2h, roto?
3. how many cats?
4. what are they?
5. if you were doing a live draft what posotion would you pick first?
6. what positons are shallower than others?
7. what are you're top 10 picks as of right now
8. anything else you would like to tell or explain to me

Much of it is similar to fantasy baseball in the regard that there are many variations on the game and they all play a little bit different. I'll give you the most basic league design.

1. 1QB - 2RB - 2WR- 1TE - 1K - 1Def and then 4 or so empty roster spots.

2. Games are normally played H2H but there are total point variations of the game.

3 & 4. Scoring is usually based on an accumulation of points. The league I play in is scored something like
4 pts for each passing TD
6 pts for each rushing/receiving TD
1 pt for each 25 yards rushing/receiving
1 pt for each 75 yard passing
You lose points for fumbles or throwing interceptions
Points for FG (depending on distance) and extra points.
Points if your defense sacks/intercepts/forces a fumble and a sliding scale based on how many points they allow (if your defense allows 0 you get 10 pts 1-9 you get 7 etc)

5. Unless the league rules are completely different RB is without a doubt the most desired position to get stocked up on with studs. They are the most consistant and the highest scorers.

6. RB is scarce simply because everyone wants the studs. TE is scarce because there are few real good scorers.

1. Holmes RB-KC
2. Tomlinson - RB-SD
3. Green RB-GB
4. Portis RB-WASH (haha Bronco-fan)
5. Williams RB-Mia
6. Alexander - RB-SEA
7. Lewis - RB-BAL
8. McAllister - RB-NO
9. James - RB-IND
10. Davis - RB-CAR

8. You will have a blast, the one big difference between football and baseball fantasy games is that in football sitting back and waiting for your guys to turn around can be deadly. Playing the matchups are key so find a group (message board, forum, whatever) and pick their brains about who is hot and who is ready to explode. Best of luck.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:48 pm

ok thanks you guys
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rsjrx21 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:53 pm

i'm real into fan. football and would love to get another person into it. its much diff. than baseball in a few ways.
-first, youre league settings are huge,bc there are many different versions, unlike baseball

theres head to head (which is what i have used the past 3 years), which i think is the best way to go for football, bc organizing your lineup properly according to each weekends matchups and rooting against your opponents players makes it very critical and entertaining, resp.

i'll use the standard, most common used scoring

1 pt for every 10 yds rushing
1 pt for every 10 yds receiving
1 pt for every 25 yds passing
6 pts for all tds (some leagues play 4 pts for passing tds)
2 pt conversions
some leagues play with incentive points (i.e. 20,40,60,80+ yd td scores more points)

one big difference in my league (which is real comptetive with some friends of mine, 12 teams) is that we use 2 starting qbs, instead of most leagues that use one (this puts a much higher value on qbs)

a lineup usually would look something like this ....

qb
rb
rb
wr
wr
wr
rb/wr
te
k
def

this is critical, because one "set" belief in fan. football is the stud RB theory (most first round picks are RB's) .. but this depends on the owners thinking/gameplan

one big thing i would stress for FF is to have a plan on which position u will aim for through each round (i.e rb,rb,wr,qb or rb,wr,rb,qb or any other combo)

often, kickers and defenses (and sometimes tight ends, but not as much) are drafed in the very late round because the production from one to another varies much less than the pos. players ( with the exception of the tampa bay defenses over the past few years, or the tony gonzalezs)

this year, more than any other years in my and many others' opinions, the talent is very even and deep (this would cause an owner who only starts 1 qb to wait until the 7th or 8th round to choose a QB, in the range of pennington, brooks, etc.)

but often (as of now) you'd see them ranked like this (with the emphasis on stud rb's obv.)

"1st tier"
holmes
tomlinson
portis
mccallister
j. lewis
a. green
alexander
ricky williams
faulk
edgerrin james

"2nd tier"
fred taylor
dillon
d. davis
barlow
b. westbrook
henry

qbs and wrs that could go 1st-2nd round:

manning
culp
vick
eh- mcnabb

moss
owens
harrison

hope this helped a little, any other questions, let me have 'em ... i love talkin fantasy football ... ill check back ;-D
rsjrx21
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rsjrx21 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:55 pm

hah well, those guys pretty much summed it up :-b
rsjrx21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:57 pm

rsjrx21 wrote:hah well, those guys pretty much summed it up :-b

ok well thanks a lot, i just need to ask one queation on defnese, do you usually draft a linesmen or a saftey or a conernack as your defensive player
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Urge » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:01 pm

Biggest piece of advice, draft an RB first and a K near last.

For defense check the league. A lot of them use team defenses/special teams instead of individual players.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rsjrx21 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:06 pm

most often, it is team defenses that are used

more points for less pts. allowed, 6 pts for def. tds, 3 for int 2-3 for safeties, 1 pt for sacks, etc.

but some leagues draft indiviual defensive players (IDP), which i am not very familiar with

oh yeah ... keep and eye on bye weeks!!! many owners push this aside but if ur 2 stud rb's and studs wr's all have the same bye week and ur in a head to head league, you'll be in trouble ... so make sure to have a list of bye weeks with u at the draft
rsjrx21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:08 pm

rsjrx21 wrote:most often, it is team defenses that are used

more points for less pts. allowed, 6 pts for def. tds, 3 for int 2-3 for safeties, 1 pt for sacks, etc.

but some leagues draft indiviual defensive players (IDP), which i am not very familiar with

oh yeah ... keep and eye on bye weeks!!! many owners push this aside but if ur 2 stud rb's and studs wr's all have the same bye week and ur in a head to head league, you'll be in trouble ... so make sure to have a list of bye weeks with u at the draft

ok i can see how the bye weeks might be important and thanks everybody for helping me out
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk