Sweden
5%
Denmark
5%

Total votes : 19

Postby KULCAT » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:53 pm

irishdude103 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:yeah the US is getting to the international stage and starting to earn some respect but it will take some more years where they will win anything, and US fans just have no respect for soccer, that is why the MLS isn't entertaining to watch becasue no puts enough money into it so they can bring in some international stars and get people interested, that is the big differnece between almost every other country and the US about soccer

Thats really whats elevates the level of play of a league. MLS has no money so they have to bring has beens like Valderrama or Etcheverry. The Us is just gonna have to develop better athletes.

and to do that they need to put more money into the Mls so it will attrct kids and make them wanna be soccer players, just like every other country does

I forgot a couple of things into the last message. I simply dont think the US will put money into Soccer. Not with every damn ESPN announcer telling them how boring soccer is. It really bugs with when the do that cause you can just tell they´ve never watch a whole match and that they dont have a a friggin clue about what theyre trashing
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby irishdude103 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:57 pm

KULCAT wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:yeah the US is getting to the international stage and starting to earn some respect but it will take some more years where they will win anything, and US fans just have no respect for soccer, that is why the MLS isn't entertaining to watch becasue no puts enough money into it so they can bring in some international stars and get people interested, that is the big differnece between almost every other country and the US about soccer

Thats really whats elevates the level of play of a league. MLS has no money so they have to bring has beens like Valderrama or Etcheverry. The Us is just gonna have to develop better athletes.

and to do that they need to put more money into the Mls so it will attrct kids and make them wanna be soccer players, just like every other country does

I forgot a couple of things into the last message. I simply dont think the US will put money into Soccer. Not with every damn ESPN announcer telling them how boring soccer is. It really bugs with when the do that cause you can just tell they´ve never watch a whole match and that they dont have a a friggin clue about what theyre trashing

yeah that is what i mean about the US having no respect for soccer, they dis soccer like it is a pussy sport, but really it isn't, it is probably more physical than baseball and many other sports- if anyone has every played at a high level or watched a match then they would see that it is a rough sport and you have to be built just like every other athlete in an other sport
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby irishdude103 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:57 pm

this is probably one of the best disscusion in the cafe yet, no offense
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Melo255 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:00 pm

KULCAT wrote:
Melo255 wrote:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I TOLD YOU TO RESPECT GREEK SOCCER!!!!!!
GREECE 1 FRANCE 0 HELL YEEEAAAAAAAAA
ahahahhahahahahah I'm so friggin excited I can barely breathe. I know how obnoxious and annoying I sound right now but you have to understand what this is like. David vs Goliath and David doesn't even have a sling. Man it's not just that Greece beat France it's that they completely outplayed them for most of the game. They made the french players look like they were each 100 years old. Wow I'm still in shock. Best part of this now is that Greece has a much easier draw in the next round. JBUK I thought Greece didn't have a chance?!?!?! Damn I'm so excited trying to imagine Greece in the finals. Talk about a monumental upset here. Unreal. THE GREEKS HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!

Congrats to the Greeks. I really dont like France, its just to mucho of an advantage fielding so many nationalized players. I think Portugal takes Greece next match and go to the finals vs Holland. The problem with the Czcheks is their defence. Is too fragile. Had Holland been more focused they wouldve scored 5 on them

Greece will play the winner of Czech Republic/Denmark not Portugal. Portugall will play the winner of Sweden/Holland. That's why I was saying it's a much easier draw Greece against Czech/Denmark than if they had to play Sweden or Holland. At this point I wouldn't put anything past the Greeks advancing further in the tourney.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KULCAT » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:07 pm

Melo255 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:
Melo255 wrote:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I TOLD YOU TO RESPECT GREEK SOCCER!!!!!!
GREECE 1 FRANCE 0 HELL YEEEAAAAAAAAA
ahahahhahahahahah I'm so friggin excited I can barely breathe. I know how obnoxious and annoying I sound right now but you have to understand what this is like. David vs Goliath and David doesn't even have a sling. Man it's not just that Greece beat France it's that they completely outplayed them for most of the game. They made the french players look like they were each 100 years old. Wow I'm still in shock. Best part of this now is that Greece has a much easier draw in the next round. JBUK I thought Greece didn't have a chance?!?!?! Damn I'm so excited trying to imagine Greece in the finals. Talk about a monumental upset here. Unreal. THE GREEKS HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!

Congrats to the Greeks. I really dont like France, its just to mucho of an advantage fielding so many nationalized players. I think Portugal takes Greece next match and go to the finals vs Holland. The problem with the Czcheks is their defence. Is too fragile. Had Holland been more focused they wouldve scored 5 on them

Greece will play the winner of Czech Republic/Denmark not Portugal. Portugall will play the winner of Sweden/Holland. That's why I was saying it's a much easier draw Greece against Czech/Denmark than if they had to play Sweden or Holland. At this point I wouldn't put anything past the Greeks advancing further in the tourney.

My mistake. I have to change my whole approach here then. Im still rooting for Portugal but they will have a terrible time with Holland. As for the Czechs, if they dont get too confident(and i think they will) theyre in the final. Theire defence is still weak but their offense is brilliant.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:53 am

Well now that England is out I couldn't give a chit who wins...........but if Portugal wins I get a case of beer from my boss. And if the Czech's win, I owe him a case of beer: Porrrrrrrrrr-toooooooo-galllllllllllllllllllll! :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jbuk » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:38 am

Hmmm, well, I still don't think the Greeks will win in the semis :-o , though given how good my predictions have been so far, it might be a good idea to put money on them.

France were absolutely terrible, Zidane hardly touched the ball and Henry was marked out of the game except for about 10 mins in the 2nd half.

I'd like whoever wins tonight out of Holland and Sweden to win, both play good a good, attacking style, though it looks like things are clearing themselves nicely for the Czechs to win.

Having seen quite a few of Hollands games prior to the tournament, I don't fancy them that much - I'd have to disagree with Kulcat, Van Nistelrooy is the best finisher in the world at the minute, and Davids is brilliant when he's trying. But Stam isn't a great defender by any means, and Seedorf seems to always be either injured and/or fighting with teammates and the manager.
[size=18][b]25[/b][/size]
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:44 am

KULCAT wrote:I dont know where you get this Cornbread. I live in Spain and this is simply not true. Although you are correct that Spain is severely fragmented when it comes to the national team the people unite wich is why is very sad for me to see them become the perenial tournament underachievers. But when La Furia Roja(nickname of the the team The Red Fury) is playing the whole country stops, the streets are empty and everybody is at the bar or at home watching the game.
As for the players not caring you probably didnt see the last day of training prior to the tournament beggining. They cut about 5 players for the team to get to the final rosters. Ive never seen so many grown man crying

I appreciate what you are saying about the current and recent state of Spain's football, but what I wrote is pretty accurate, at least according to The History of Soccer - The Beautiful Game. In it, an in-depth look at Spain's football history does actually indicate that in the early years of soccer Spain did have a pretty hard time on an International level - not because of a lack of skill or players, but rather fielding the best Spanish players on a national team.

Their first international competition, was in the 1920 Olympics I believe. During that event, they did finally get together many of their best players, and they finished with a strong silver medal in the games. Unfortunately, as illustrious as Spanish club football has been - arguably the best teams ever have come from Spain - their international record has been pretty suspect. They have won one major international event in their history - during the late 60's if I recall correctly.

For any student of the game, the box set of The History of Soccer is a must see. Im pretty sure it was a BBC program created within the last 5 yrs and my copy was Americanized to call it soccer when the original was of coarse called H.O. Football. Its simply full of extremely rare footage of the earliest recorded football matches, some of the greatest, most important goals in history, and interviews with the greatest players ever to walk the pitch - and thats just the bonus material.

I want to ask those guys who think the MLS should import more foreign talent to improve the marketing and ticket sales of the MLS - do you really think the MLS is better off with washed up has-beens like Valderamma and Ethceverry? From what I've seen, these players actually bring down the level of intensity and are more of a hindurance to the development of US players. IMO the MLS has to be very careful about bringing in foreign players looking for a final payday.
Also - some mentioned the theory that we need to send our best players overseas in order for them to get better. Again - I argue that it was already tried, and those players didnt play nearly as well as our recent national team comprised mostly of MLS trained players. Just something to think about.

Great thread.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KULCAT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:12 pm

I appreciate what you are saying about the current and recent state of Spain's football, but what I wrote is pretty accurate, at least according to The History of Soccer - The Beautiful Game. In it, an in-depth look at Spain's football history does actually indicate that in the early years of soccer Spain did have a pretty hard time on an International level - not because of a lack of skill or players, but rather fielding the best Spanish players on a national team.

Yes this is true. In those times the spanish league was pretty much an amateur league. There werent any international competition and most teams didnt play in a spanish league since the 30´s

Their first international competition, was in the 1920 Olympics I believe. During that event, they did finally get together many of their best players, and they finished with a strong silver medal in the games. Unfortunately, as illustrious as Spanish club football has been - arguably the best teams ever have come from Spain - their international record has been pretty suspect. They have won one major international event in their history - during the late 60's if I recall correctly.

Thats true. It was the Eurocup in 1964 wich was played on home grown. Spain did reach the finals on the 1984 Euro but have been a complete failure in world cups including an early exit when in 1982 the world cup was held in Spain!!!

For any student of the game, the box set of The History of Soccer is a must see. Im pretty sure it was a BBC program created within the last 5 yrs and my copy was Americanized to call it soccer when the original was of coarse called H.O. Football. Its simply full of extremely rare footage of the earliest recorded football matches, some of the greatest, most important goals in history, and interviews with the greatest players ever to walk the pitch - and thats just the bonus material.

I gonna look for it

I want to ask those guys who think the MLS should import more foreign talent to improve the marketing and ticket sales of the MLS - do you really think the MLS is better off with washed up has-beens like Valderamma and Ethceverry? From what I've seen, these players actually bring down the level of intensity and are more of a hindurance to the development of US players. IMO the MLS has to be very careful about bringing in foreign players looking for a final payday.

When the MLS began it was necessary. The league´s own amercian players that first year werent that good either so they did elevate the level of play. But with the players the US has know i dont see it as necessary. You dont really need to have a strong league to field a gopod natioanl side(see Holland, Czceck republic) but the league does need to be a lauching pad. One thing that would really help to expose good amercan players is to get the MLS into the Copa Libertadores where the top clubs in the America´s duke it out. Many players get to showcase their stuff in this high profile tournament and end up playing in Europe. I think the best MLS clubs are at the same level of the second tier clubs from countries like Ecuador and Peru so they should at least be able to compete

Also - some mentioned the theory that we need to send our best players overseas in order for them to get better. Again - I argue that it was already tried, and those players didnt play nearly as well as our recent national team comprised mostly of MLS trained players. Just something to think about.

Great thread.
[/quote]
Yes but when it was done this players werent playing in top tournaments. Most american "foreigners" played in the english league second division and the one´s that played in top teams of Germany and France werent starters so it wasnt the best solution.
Whats usually done by small countries is creating a strong group of players that usually play for the strongest team in their country. This teams could achieve great accolades and showcase their best players in high profile tournaments. A perfect example was the Ajax team of Amsterdam that won the 96 Champions cup. This tam fielded about 7 players that became stars and a fixture in the national team that reached the semis in both the worldcup of 98 and the euro of 2000.
This wont happen in the MLS because its ruled by a parity system.
Great thread in did
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby KULCAT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:13 pm

KULCAT wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:
KULCAT wrote:

I forgot a couple of things into the last message. I simply dont think the US will put money into Soccer. Not with every damn ESPN announcer telling them how boring soccer is. It really bugs me when they do that cause you can just tell they´ve never watched a whole match and that they dont have a a friggin clue about what theyre trashing
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk