It's "Tax Freedom Day" in Canada - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

It's "Tax Freedom Day" in Canada

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:04 am

LBJackal wrote:Not all tax money goes to health care. With those injuries you'd be a lot better off to have paid for insurance/national health care which costs money up front.

None of those were mine. My kid brother has had some issues. I even forgot about the collapsed lung ($6,000). His total=$21,700.

Let's see. I'm 29, so 11 years of working (air force brat so medical was free until I turned 18) with an average insurance payment of $250 per month x 12 months x 11 years= $33,000. I would still be better off just paying the bills as they come. I've done the math and that's why I don't have health insurance and why I'm very happy I don't pay really high taxes to give everyone free healthcare.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:15 am

For younger people, yes it's probably cheaper to pay as you go. For older people, it would be impossible. My grandpa had a 5-bypass heart surgery, my grandma had a hip replacement and toungue cancer, and my cousin right now has cancer on her liver which is inoperable. It would be impossible to pay for any of this. For most people they probably pay too much but I'd rather pay a few thousand dollars each year than have to sell my house and everything I own to pay for an emergency. I know somebody that happened to, they were on vacation in Florida and weren't able to fly back for medical care so they ended up owing more money than they could dream of.

For me, it's worth the money, but some people would rather take the chance I guess.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:25 pm

Madison wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Not all tax money goes to health care. With those injuries you'd be a lot better off to have paid for insurance/national health care which costs money up front.

None of those were mine. My kid brother has had some issues. I even forgot about the collapsed lung ($6,000). His total=$21,700.

Let's see. I'm 29, so 11 years of working (air force brat so medical was free until I turned 18) with an average insurance payment of $250 per month x 12 months x 11 years= $33,000. I would still be better off just paying the bills as they come. I've done the math and that's why I don't have health insurance and why I'm very happy I don't pay really high taxes to give everyone free healthcare.

Wow - is that $250/month for 1 person? Our premiums are no where near that high - I'm not sure what they are now, I'll have to check but I'm sure for my family of 6 I'm paying around $70/month (but I'm not sure if my employer has to kick in too).
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm

Madison - I checked the premium rates - for a single person, it's $44/month, for 2 or more persons it's $88/month so I pay $88/month for 6 people - pretty cheap. Normally if you are employed, especially if you are unionized, your employer may pay some or all of that.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm

stomperrob wrote:Wow - is that $250/month for 1 person? Our premiums are no where near that high - I'm not sure what they are now, I'll have to check but I'm sure for my family of 6 I'm paying around $70/month (but I'm not sure if my employer has to kick in too).

$333 per month for health, vision, and dental for my family of 3.
This does not include my $100 doctors visit copays or my $15 perscription copays. Also, the insurance only covers anything over $500 on surgery, so for anything major I still have to kick in $500 and if its minor (under $500) I get to just pay it out of pocket. The Dental plan is a joke too - cleanings cost me $75 each - and if they need to X-Ray were eating Ramen for a month.

Simply put, how is this acceptable?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Wow - is that $250/month for 1 person? Our premiums are no where near that high - I'm not sure what they are now, I'll have to check but I'm sure for my family of 6 I'm paying around $70/month (but I'm not sure if my employer has to kick in too).

$333 per month for health, vision, and dental for my family of 3.
This does not include my $100 doctors visit copays or my $15 perscription copays. Also, the insurance only covers anything over $500 on surgery, so for anything major I still have to kick in $500 and if its minor (under $500) I get to just pay it out of pocket. The Dental plan is a joke too - cleanings cost me $75 each - and if they need to X-Ray were eating Ramen for a month.

Simply put, how is this acceptable?

Vision, dental, and prescriptions aren't covered under ours - I have seperate coverage for that under Blue Cross but the price is reasonable (I'll have to look it up the actual cost) - when I was working, Blue Cross paid 100 per cent, now that I'm retired my coverage dropped to 80 percent - the coverage is pretty good.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:00 pm

We use my wifes insurance which is thru General Motors because it is better. Family of 5 and the most we pay is 10 dollar copay for doctor visits and prescriptions! As far as dental goes, you have to pay for cosmetic stuff but everything else is covered.
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:43 pm

For you guys who get insurance through your work or Union - dont kid yourselves that its free or cheap. Just because you dont see it come out of your paycheck doesnt mean you dont pay for it.

EX:
In a job where the company pays the insurance:
Monthly Labor Cost per Person: 2000
Monthly Medical Insurance Cost per Person: 1000
Total Monthly Cost per Person: 3000

or

In a job where the employee pays the insurance:
Monthly Labor Cost per Person: 3000
Monthly Medical Insurance Cost per Person: 0
Total Monthly Cost per Person: 3000

Do you see what I am saying? Simply stated they pay you less in your paycheck to make up for paying your medical insurance.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:57 pm

Nothing is free :-[
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:37 pm