Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright and Mark Teixiera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wright and Mark Teixiera

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:14 pm

I've been keeping an eye on David Wright, the Met's top 3B prospect. He was just promoted to triple-A and is already hitting .346. HE should be caled soon, Perhaps by July. I'm thinking of grabbing him and playing him ahead of Tex. I am a big Tex supporter but he is killing me in my H2H. He just hasn't gotten into his groove, yet. There are some good signs, though. Tex's OPB is over 100 points over his BA, which is a great sign of patience.

The question is, will/can Wright outhit Tex in the second half? What say you, Cafe? Can Tex have a huge 2nd half?

Here's a scouting report on Wright:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1821836
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:20 pm

Now, as you can probably guess, I am a huge Wright fan. I think that he'll be the top 3b for many years to come.

However, I think that expecting him to have better numbers than Tex this year is reaching. There's too much speculation. You're assuming that he'll 1. Be promoted to the majors for longer than a cup of joe 2. start hitting immediately. It just seems like too much.

Next year, however, all bets are off.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:24 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Now, as you can probably guess, I am a huge Wright fan. I think that he'll be the top 3b for many years to come.

However, I think that expecting him to have better numbers than Tex this year is reaching. There's too much speculation. You're assuming that he'll 1. Be promoted to the majors for longer than a cup of joe 2. start hitting immediately. It just seems like too much.

Next year, however, all bets are off.

He could be like Josh Phelps in 2002. Phelps was huge for me in 2002, especially since he was catcher eligible. I'm not saying Wright WILL do that but I think it MIGHT be possible...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:47 pm

I think that Phelps was the exception that proves the rule, unfortunattely. Of course, I'm rooting for Wright to come up and make an immediate impact, but I think that the odds are better for Tex to rebound this year than for Wright to come up and do well.

Have you ever noticed that almost all the rookies that come up and dominate the league (hitting wise) are almost always free swingers? Shane Spencer, Benny Agbiyani, Josh Phelps, etc. They swing at everything and hit almost everything until the pitchers stop throwing them strikes. Then they miss almost everything.

I don't think that Wright fits that mold. I would expecct him to fit the Hank Blalock mold a little better, but that's just my impression.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:48 pm

Can you grab him now and stash him? I agree with AA and think there is still too much uncertainty to drop Tex outright for Wright. This is a hunch but everything seems to indicate he will be called up after the A.S. break maybe sooner but I think there is probably one more minor trade to be made before he gets the call.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:39 pm

He was tearing up AA, but to think he'll be like Phelps and be productive in the majors is a stretch. Phelps was the exception, not the rule. I don't think Wright will be another exception........I'd take Tex for sure over Wright for this season, but in the longrun it will be close. Wright will be a speedy guy with a little power and Tex will just mash the ball. Definately Tex for this year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:22 pm

Wright has average speed. Disregard his SB totals in A and the 20 so far this year in AA. He might get 10 per year in the major leagues. His SBs are due to smart base running not overwhelming speed. I also disagree about the power. Not to say he will have it this year but Wright projects out to have 30-40 HR power.

2002 A 30-Doubles 11-HR
2003 A 39-Doubles 15-HR
2004 AA 27-Doubles 10-HR (half season)
2004 AAA 3-Doubles 2-HR (so far)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SoxFanPJ » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:10 pm

Wright is playing vs. Pawtucket tonight and the game is being carried on NESN for anyone who cares to check out the kid
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:44 pm

Amazinz wrote:Wright has average speed. Disregard his SB totals in A and the 20 so far this year in AA. He might get 10 per year in the major leagues. His SBs are due to smart base running not overwhelming speed. I also disagree about the power. Not to say he will have it this year but Wright projects out to have 30-40 HR power.

2002 A 30-Doubles 11-HR
2003 A 39-Doubles 15-HR
2004 AA 27-Doubles 10-HR (half season)
2004 AAA 3-Doubles 2-HR (so far)

Everything I've read anywhere on this guy is different than what you are saying.

They all say he has legit 30 steal potential and at max 30 HR Power.

Is this just a feeling you have or do you know something that nobody else does?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:18 pm

BigLebowski wrote:Is this just a feeling you have or do you know something that nobody else does?

Yes. That's the ticket. It's a secret between me and David and I thought I'd let the cat out of the bag for your benefit. :-b

LCBOY posted a link to a scouting report that echoes almost everything I have read about Wright. You can find several articles on Baseball America that say the same thing.

Wright is a solid all-around athlete. His weakest tool is his running speed, which is average. But he has excellent instincts on the bases, and has shown he can steal a base.

BigLebowski wrote:They all say he has legit 30 steal potential and at max 30 HR Power.

Maybe he can get 30 bags a season at the major league level but I doubt it for two reasons. 1. Good base-running instincts means that's he's stealing on the pitcher often in the minors. That won't happen as much in the majors. 2. As he develops he'll most likely become a #3 or #5 hitter in which case opportunities for stolen bases will diminish.

I am not sure what to add concerning the home runs. I said most of what I've read projects him to hit between 30-40 HRs as his power develops. You said you've read that he'll max out at 30. Pretty close, right? 30 will probably be closer to the mark if he plays his career at Shea but he has shown the power at a young age to indicate the potential for 40 HRs.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers