Morris and Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morris and Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Morris and Webb

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:19 pm

What the hell is up with these two? Webb could be in a sophmore slump but there's no explaining Morris's meltdown this year. He's been so inconsistent it's disgusting. What are you guys doing with these two? Is it time to trade them or just keep them and hope to get something out of them soon?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:22 pm

Webb had a good game today so hopefully this the turning point for him. I don't know what to do with Morris. If I drop him someone will grab him and stash but I couldn't get a bag of peanuts for him in a trade right now. :-/
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:26 pm

Webb might be in for a long year. Wins won't likely be plentiful with that awful bullpen behind him, so even if he gets it together he's marginal for this season.

Morris is a puzzle. He's been a good 2nd half pitcher...but his ratios are way off this year. I traded him a little while back, and I'm feeling as though I did the right thing. I don't think he is going to have his usual second half, though he will still garner some wins with a good lineup and bullpen supporting him.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby getoffmywalrus » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:42 pm

Webb's control has been horrible, his walk/strikeout ratio has been about 1/1 in over two-thirds of his starts. I'm trying to find a sucker to take him.
"Carl Everett's the best player in baseball, just ask him." -Ryan Dempster
getoffmywalrus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:02 am

Solution to Morris's problems: Start him in the second inning. He cant get past the first. He over excites. It's been his problem for years. Start Kline, yank him after one, put Morris in next.

I know, I know, this would never happen and from a fantasy aspect it might even hurt his chances of wins, if the Cards have a good first that is. However it makes sense when you think about it. :-?
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby icalderus » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:27 am

I too own Morris and am in the same situation as you guys, its hard to drop him yet no one even wants him in a trade. Worst thing is he is giving up home runs like a mother and thats horrible. I drafted him to pick up wins and decent ERA/WHIP but its just not happening at this point. I am strongly considering ditching him in favor of other hotter pitchers (Lima ,Westbrook, Eaton,etc). Do you guys think its time to pull the plug on him?
icalderus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yikes » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:33 am

thehat wrote:Webb might be in for a long year. Wins won't likely be plentiful with that awful bullpen behind him, so even if he gets it together he's marginal for this season.

Agreed. Plus his team is ranked near the bottom in BA and OBP, and not getting better offensively because Sexson is gone. Even if gets his control back, he will not get consistent run support to help him get wins.

My advice is to drop him and get a Mota or a Lidge in order to reduce the damage Webb has done to your ERA, WHIP, K/9IP, etc...
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DEF » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:40 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:Solution to Morris's problems: Start him in the second inning. He cant get past the first. He over excites. It's been his problem for years. Start Kline, yank him after one, put Morris in next.

I know, I know, this would never happen and from a fantasy aspect it might even hurt his chances of wins, if the Cards have a good first that is. However it makes sense when you think about it. :-?

You're right it would never happen (though LaRussa is the manager whp batted his pitcher eighth a few years back so you never know ;-7 ), but if it did it wouldn't affect his chances at wins. Kline, or whoever pitches the first, wouldn't get the win if St. Louis scored in the first, as he'd need to go five innings to qualify for a win. Morris, or the most effective reliever in the opinion of the official scorer, would earn the W if the Cards held on for the win.

On the more serious subject of Morris, the inconsistency is frustrating and his outing today certainly wasn't good, but it also wasn't as bad as the line might appear. His strikeout rate was up (8 in 6 IP) and was his K/BB ratio (8/1), while his WHIP was solid (1.17). He simply made a couple of very costly mistakes that went for homers. That's been his main problem all year. If he can reduce the homers, he will return to being a solid pitcher and fantasy asset. That's a big if though, as he's been giving away a ton of souvenirs to the bleacher bums all season.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:16 am

I agree that Webb will struggle to find wins, but he should turn it around soon ...

Morris, He is in the same boat as Zito, with out as much talent. Matts strikeout rates have been in a decline for the last three seasons ... You'll also notice, so are his wins... conspiracy?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:26 am

i did some research on Morris earlier in the season and heres some of what i found-

IP H WHIP BA OBP
2001 216.1 218 1.26 .265 .314
2002 210.1 210 1.30 .261 .315
2003 172.1 164 1.18 .252 .294

he actually has been more efficient in not allowing hitters to get on base... notice the whip, ba and obp trends.

another thing that i like is that he's gotten better at getting quick outs (P/PA from 01-04: 3,67, 3,6, 3,67, 3.49) which is comforting and explains the K numbers. however if he hadn't become more effective at getting through innings quicker, i think the low K's would've been a thing to worry about from a real life standpoint. they stilll damage his value fantasy-wise tho.

i think both him allowing less runners on base and getting quicker outs are positive growth signs.

of course, the main thing is that he def has lost some serious velocity over the years cos of injury troubles. which is the main reason for the higher XBH's (HR's in particular this year... 23 in 101 IP,lol so im not f'kin kidding when i say that the HR pace will go down). But i think if the Cards do a good job with him, he should get stronger as the season goes on and maybe gain a few miles on his fastball and get his stuff to be more consitantly lively which'll help a ton. he also traditionally somewhat of a second half player like hat said. but in the long run, if doesnt get his velocity up these XBH's will hurt him..

anyways, i didnt see Griffey's 500 game yesterday but i agree that him not allowing a lot of runners on base and getting more K's is a good sign. people prolly have very little faith in him right now, so its ob not worth trying to deal him (unless you find someone like me whos still somewhat of a believer). he might be buy low guy tho for some.

and as for Webb, his fantasy prospects look pretty grim this year.. hes walkin people like a madman, fewer K's, crappy Sexson less offense and unreliable pen dont look good. :-/
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers