Smoltz vs. Foulke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz vs. Foulke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Smoltz vs. Foulke

Postby red sox rule!!! » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:18 pm

I'm in the middle of an argument with my buddy about this. He thinks Foulke is the better closer and I insist Smoltz is. He is mostly weighing his arguments on tthis years stats. and saying foulke is better pitcher cuz of era and whip


Foulke, Keith 35.3 innings, 2 wins, 13 saves, 28 ks, 8 bbi, 20 ha, 1.019 era, 0.792 whip
Smoltz, John 28.0innings, 11 saves, 29 ks, 1 bbi, 23 ha, 3.214 era, 0.857 whip

I looked up all their stats for each game they gave up runs.
SMOLTZ
April 7 (2er) - hr(2)
April 8 (1er) - hr
April 9 (1er)- hr
May 4 (1er)- wild pitch
May 8 (1er) - triple
June 11 (3er)- double (1), hr (3)
4 hrs = 5er
wild pitch = 1 run
double = 1 run
triple = 1 run

FOULKE
April 17 (1er) - single
May 30 (2er)- hr (2 men on base only charged 2 runs, should be 3)
June 5 (1er) - hr

2 hrs = 3 run (should be 4)
single = 1 run


So what do you think? Whose the #1 closer smoltz or foulke
red sox rule!!!
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 19 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:45 pm

If I had to call one guy in to pitch in an important game to notch a save for me, I'd go with Smoltz. Foulke though will produce better numbers this year because he is on a team that will win more games (Boston vs Atlanta). If Smoltz was playing on last year's Braves, he would get my vote.

It's tough to say who is the better pitcher, but I think Foulke will supply slightly better numbers this year due to that he is on a better team, so he gets my vote-all time though, obviously Smoltz.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2583
Joined: 6 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:52 pm

DaQ wrote: Foulke though will produce better numbers this year because he is on a team that will win more games (Boston vs Atlanta)


I can understand Foulke getting more save opportunities because he may be on a team that will win more games than the Braves but I can't see how he will produce better numbers because of this.

Smoltz is the better closer but only by a small margin.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:56 pm

DaQ wrote:If I had to call one guy in to pitch in an important game to notch a save for me, I'd go with Smoltz. Foulke though will produce better numbers this year because he is on a team that will win more games (Boston vs Atlanta). If Smoltz was playing on last year's Braves, he would get my vote.

It's tough to say who is the better pitcher, but I think Foulke will supply slightly better numbers this year due to that he is on a better team, so he gets my vote-all time though, obviously Smoltz.


common misconception. wins doesn't necessarily translate to saves. Last year the Brewers had the most save oppurtunities even though they didn't win that many games.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 390
Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Monument Park

Postby quickfingerz » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Whoever told you that needs to consider 9th inning save opportunities as I'm certain the Brewers didn't have the most 9th inning save opportunities.

9th inning save ops = ops for team closer

GucciBaseballs wrote:
DaQ wrote:If I had to call one guy in to pitch in an important game to notch a save for me, I'd go with Smoltz. Foulke though will produce better numbers this year because he is on a team that will win more games (Boston vs Atlanta). If Smoltz was playing on last year's Braves, he would get my vote.

It's tough to say who is the better pitcher, but I think Foulke will supply slightly better numbers this year due to that he is on a better team, so he gets my vote-all time though, obviously Smoltz.


common misconception. wins doesn't necessarily translate to saves. Last year the Brewers had the most save oppurtunities even though they didn't win that many games.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 323
Joined: 7 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:18 pm

quickfingerz wrote:Whoever told you that needs to consider 9th inning save opportunities as I'm certain the Brewers didn't have the most 9th inning save opportunities.

9th inning save ops = ops for team closer


actually in 03 the Brewers did have the most oppurtunities in the majors. Check anyware. I dare you.

I found proof too from MLB.com
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats_historical/mlb_historical_team_stats.jsp?baseballScope=mlb&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame2=1&timeFrame=1&groupByTeam=true&subScope=teamCode&timeSubFrame=2003&&sortByStat=SVO

Why don't you think before you speak next time buddy :-?
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 390
Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Monument Park


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact