Ranking Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:07 pm

Oswalt
Zambrano
Santana
Beckett
Sheets

Oswalt b/c he is the most prooven and he is one of the ELITE ace's in the game. He is going to be one of the best pitchers in the 2nd half of the season, and that 4ERA 4-6 record will turn into 17-8 w/ a 3.30 ERA or better.

Zambrano looks legit, the cubs provide much support, he could be a 20 game winner w/ 200 K's.

Santana is the ace of the twins and will end up as one of the top AL pitchers leading the twins down the stretch.

Beckett is amazing, nuff said, problem is he gets injured 2 much as does oswalt though. If Beckett pitches he is lights out and if he could just stay healthy he challenges Mark Prior as the BEST young pitcher in baseball.

Sheets is great, finnally lived up to his potential.......too bad he plays in milwaukee and will win the least of all these guys to make him come in last.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Althalius » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:16 pm

I'd rank

Zambrano
Sheets
3. Santana
3. Beckett
3. Oswalt

Sheets has been amazing this season if you look at his K numbers, his ERA and WHIP (matters more in my league than W), and Zambrano is gagne-good. Santana is recovering, but his outing prior to these past few were horrible at best. Beckett and Oswalt get injured too much, but if they stay healthy they are dominant. I think Santana, Beckett, and Oswalt split the third spot.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:32 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Beckett is always hurt and hasn't really proved too much. Santana hasn't either but he's stayed healthy so far (knock on wood) and has proved to be a dominating pitcher when he's on. No possible way Sheets can be ranked above Santana IMO. Even Oswalt is too low.

Beckett has proven his career era+ is better then Santanas, and he's 2 years younger. Santana is a nice sp, but i would rank him 5th, and 6th if Peavy was included. He's a bit overrated in the Cafe. I don't see how anyone can take Santana over Oswalt or Zambrano? Strange, but NEW ZEAL list looks rather good.

Oswalt btw, has had some bad luck so far. His era should be lower. Looking at DIPS era, Zambrano has had some good fortune, but all 4 still have a better DIPS era then Santana.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pit ... =a&pos=all
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby kaz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:00 am

Oswalt
Beckett
Zambrano
Santana
Sheets
"They invented the All-Star Game for Willie Mays." -Ted Williams
kaz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby brdmaverick » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:14 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:Beckett
Zambrano
Oswalt
Sheets
Santana

Not sure how that makes any sense whatsoever. :-?

The fact Beckett is ranked top or that Santana is last ?

Both really.

Beckett is always hurt and hasn't really proved too much. Santana hasn't either but he's stayed healthy so far (knock on wood) and has proved to be a dominating pitcher when he's on. No possible way Sheets can be ranked above Santana IMO. Even Oswalt is too low.

with all due respect, I don't really buy your argument.

You don't give Beckett his due credit because he has injury problems, and yet you say Oswalt is ranked too low. Oswalt, however, has had his own injury concerns, which are worth noting.

I realize that Santana seems to be the sexy pick at the moment after his three great outings, but let's keep the entire season in perspective. He hasn't been healthy all year, so he isn't always dominant. I think it is fair to say that most of these guys on the list are dominant when healthy and when he's on, so to say that about Santana does not make him stand out.

I don't know much about Sheets, so I can't really compare him to the others.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:16 am

beckett and santana are really more dominant than these other guys because if they log 200+ innings, they could each post 250 k's, whereas i think zambo oswalt and sheets would be around 200. sheets maybe a little higher but remember his K total is inflated because for one day the braves thought when the ball bounces in front of the plate they should swing.

my list would be as follows.

beckett
zambo
oswalt
santana
sheets

beckett-once he gets over the blisters(HE WILL) he and prior will run the NL

zambo-hes a solid 4 cat. starter who seems amazingly consistent, a very nice commodity to have

oswalt-plays on a winning club and strikes people out, kind of like zambo except for injuries

santana-big K potential and since he stopped tipping pitches hes been amazing like last year. people seem to point out the beginning of this season like thats all we have to go on but he was awesome 2nd half last year starting and what he did then and what hes doing now is the real santana, not the pitch tipping bum he was earlier this season

sheets-never posts good era/whip/wins and even if he lowers them all a bit(wins up) he may still only be around 3.5 1.25 13 he will still be below these others statwise.

thanks for all the responses it was interesting to read peoples reasoning
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:31 am

Oswalt
Beckett
Zambrano