German,Aardsma,Rauch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

German,Aardsma,Rauch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

German,Aardsma,Rauch

Postby Mr Last Place » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:24 pm

All three guys got called up today

I know Aardsma and German are in line to be future closers and Rauch is a SP,but what does the future look like for these guys?
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:31 pm

The Tigers are itching to put German into the closer role.

It's curious timimg for a call up. My guess is that they plan to see how his control is for the next few weeks. That has always been his achillies. If it's improved as reported, they may deal Urbina before the deadline. They do NOT want Urbina's contract (is anyone in Oakland listening?).

So he may be the closer of the present if all works out. I'm keeping my eye on him. If he throws well, I'll stah him opn my bench. The key issue for me will be his WHIP. Last year he was just a BB nightmare. They say one of the biggest differences between AAA and ML is that the batters are far more selective. This has always runied German's ML performance.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:57 pm

Agree that Urbina is likely to be dealt. German projects as the closer if that happens and he's pitched well to that point.

Aardsma won't be closing this season unless the Giants fall out of the race, then he could get a chance.

Rauch is of use only if your league counts height as a category.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mr Last Place » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:02 pm

thehat wrote:

haha good line :-D
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JamesBond007 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:06 pm

in a dynasty league, would you drop Kevin Gregg for Mr. German??? Gregg seems to be lost lately...era over 7.00 the last month but still averaging a K per inning....
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: ...

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:22 pm

JamesBond007 wrote:in a dynasty league, would you drop Kevin Gregg for Mr. German??? Gregg seems to be lost lately...era over 7.00 the last month but still averaging a K per inning....

I'd rather have German, who seems sure to be a closer at some point. Gregg's role is uncertain...he might end up as a starer eventually, but I don't se him as a front of the rotation guy. In fact, I don't see him as much of anything out of the very ordinary. He's a pretty fringe guy who just came from out of nowhere with all these K's this season. There's just no history of that whatsoever (except at very low minor league levels) and he's been around since 1996. Think Gregg may have been somewhat of a fluke.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DaQ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:31 pm

Mr Last Place wrote:
thehat wrote:

haha good line :-D

I second that :-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:15 am

d18Mike wrote:The Tigers are itching to put German into the closer role.

It's curious timimg for a call up. My guess is that they plan to see how his control is for the next few weeks. That has always been his achillies. If it's improved as reported, they may deal Urbina before the deadline. They do NOT want Urbina's contract (is anyone in Oakland listening?).

So he may be the closer of the present if all works out. I'm keeping my eye on him. If he throws well, I'll stah him opn my bench. The key issue for me will be his WHIP. Last year he was just a BB nightmare. They say one of the biggest differences between AAA and ML is that the batters are far more selective. This has always runied German's ML performance.

To your point Oakland wanting to get Urbina, it is unlikely because the Athletics know that you should never overpay major league contracts for sves especially with that budget, he might end up with a San Fransisco or Arizona if these guys are in contention.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:52 am

True. But he only has a one year contract. So he would be a rental for a couple months. If there isn't a better option available, he may be their best bet. The question is would a playoff berth offset the cost of the rental?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:00 am

d18Mike wrote:True. But he only has a one year contract. So he would be a rental for a couple months. If there isn't a better option available, he may be their best bet. The question is would a playoff berth offset the cost of the rental?

No and I'll tell you why. Last year the A's rented a spark from a hitter's standpoint in Jose Guillen and that is probably what they will do eventually because even though the stats wouldn'y lead you to believe it right now, the A's will need a big bat to spark off another big run come August- September. Arthur Rhodes has a history of being an excellent reliever and I think the A's may get some help at the deadline there for a better bargain, or make Harden the closer, bring up Blanton and end the discussion of who will close.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers